ICS keyboard vs SwiftKey

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I don't have access to a computer and he search on tapatalk sucks. If it hasn't been discussed then I'd like to start the discussion.

I'm having trouble deciding between the 2. My main reason for not liking the ICS keyboard is the lag in landscape. But I hear that will be fixed in 4.0.4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
find one of the swype beta's and download it. Much better then either ICS or Swiftkey. If you don't want to go the quasi-legal swype route....use SlideIT.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I have used SwiftKey for awhile now and for me it is much better than the stock ICS keyboard and swype, especially once it really learns your patterns.

Sent from the Nexus Galaxy far away...

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
As they say, YMMV, but I've been using SwiftKey exclusively since picking up my GN. One of the things that I like about it is that you can configure the keyboard with arrow keys which I find helpful.

I haven't used Swype for a while, but agree that it is a decent alternative. I had to correct to many things for it to be good for me, but I know lots of people like it.

Steve in CT

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Swiftkey IMHO is the best of them.

Stock is nothing special.

Swype is really un-natural.

Once you give swiftkey about 2 weeks to a month it will predict your next word 50% of the time - it's amazing.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I used swiftkey with my Incredible and Incredible 2. When I got the Nexus I gave the ICS keyboard a try and actually like it better than swiftkey. I don't ever use the keyboard in landscape though.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey IMHO is the best of them.

Stock is nothing special.

Swype is really un-natural.

Once you give swiftkey about 2 weeks to a month it will predict your next word 50% of the time - it's amazing.

You're just predictable. ;)

To each their own on Swype but swiping is part of ics in the notification bar, in the multitasking button, in scrolling, hardly unnatural.I'll never pic up my finger mid word again! what I look for in a keyboard is a term called disambiguation. Basically it means you can type without worry of being in between the lines or accidentally hit the letter next the letter intended and it'll still spell the correct word. it also helps when you text without looking at the keyboard. I start with the letter and scribble there on without looking much at the keyboard. That's the beauty of Swype. Not to mention being able to swipe to capitalize or punctuate copy and paste.

Although my favorite keyboard with the best disambiguation was touch pal, but for some reason the android version was not a good and I don't know why.

Some keyboards are to literal with your finger, out should never be especially since it's a soft keyboard.

I still find myself liking the old classic predictive text on the number keypad. That I could easily do without looking, especially with the actual buttons. The soft version isn't bad either.

Last edited:

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I like the ICS keyboard the best. With my last phone I tried swype, switched and then switched to Swiftkey X. Once I picked up the Galaxy Nexus though I wanted to try the stock keyboard to see if it had improved. It really has and it can correctly guess words even whenever you miss several letters. Not to mention, when you use teh stock keyboard it carries with it the theme of the entire OS and in general looks better.

In all honesty, it's really up to personal preference. I would recommend downloading Swiftkey, use it for awhile, and see which oen you like better. I also 2nd the recommendation to trying swype, it is a very nice input method and is hardly "unnatural" at all.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey is a much better keyboard, in my opinion, but it has one major issue right now (one that they are looking into fixing): it uses the old voice input, not ICS's new voice typing. I am still using SK anyway (which shows how much I like the other functions) but I will be much happier when they add this feature.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey rocked on my prior android (HTC Dinc), but I stuck with the GN keyboard since I got it. It doesn't predict words nearly as well as SK. I mean I type the name of my town many times and it never predicts it. I just went back to SK, which is really excellent. Sometimes all I have to do is look and select the words, not even touch a letter. I know some are all over Swype and I get that, but I don't have time to mess with it. And voice is a mess usually, because you have to wait and then look and then sometimes correct. I don't have time for that either. Swiftkey, they named it right :)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I am a big fan A.I. Type keyboard. Its ablility to predict the NEXT word you will be typing while correcting the word you are currently typing is amazing.

+1 A.I. Type

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey is a much better keyboard, in my opinion, but it has one major issue right now (one that they are looking into fixing): it uses the old voice input, not ICS's new voice typing. I am still using SK anyway (which shows how much I like the other functions) but I will be much happier when they add this feature.

For voice can't you switch mid type? When I use Swiftkey the "select input method" icon appears in the notification bar, so when you want to use voice you can select use Google voice input method. After finish speaking go back to Swiftkey typing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol