I LOVE my Nexus (sarcasm) - complaint thread

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: I LOVE my Nexus

Any of you that have problems, have you tried setting your network to CDMA only and then rebooting? I know, it's a 4g phone and you want to use 4g, but I'm in an area that only has 3g and I never have any of the problems that I read about. It might be worth trying for a day, just to see if it makes a difference. I suspect that Verizon's 4g network is no where near being ready for dependable usage. Seems to me it's still in beta.

Understatement of the year lol

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Any of you that have problems, have you tried setting your network to CDMA only and then rebooting? I know, it's a 4g phone and you want to use 4g, but I'm in an area that only has 3g and I never have any of the problems that I read about. It might be worth trying for a day, just to see if it makes a difference. I suspect that Verizon's 4g network is no where near being ready for dependable usage. Seems to me it's still in beta.
If I do that I don't have dropped calls but the speaker cutting out still happens.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

If I do that I don't have dropped calls but the speaker cutting out still happens.

I've had this issue as well. I'm not sure if it's necessarily radio related (haven't tested it on the new radios), hardware related, or software related though. And from what I can gather, 4.0.4 seems to take care of it, but without extensive testing we won't know for sure.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Well, the new radios haven't been out long enough to prove this issue fixed or not, but since no one has already reported the problem since they dropped (that I know of), I'd call it a good sign.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Those of you who whine about people who are having problems with our GNexs reporting the problems perplex me. Since you aren't having problems, then therefore no one else can be? Makes no sense. BTW - many of us have exchanged our devices and still are having problems.

We understand some people have issues with their phone. The thing we have a problem with is when you create about 10 threads, could be even more than that, complaining about the same crap because you want attention.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem is the pro Nexus camp blames ICS for the problems. I don't see the software as the issue, I believe the hardware is at fault. This seems to be true with Samsung in particular.

Having owned the Fascinate, Charge & Nexus, I see a pattern of wonky hardware regardless of o/s version. Could Samsung be using multiple vendors for their parts? Is it a QC problem?

Updates seem to make the devices work better, but they are never completely fixed. Bandaids only cover the wound, they don't heal them.

Sent from my reactivated Droid Charge using Tapatalk!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I think the problem is the pro Nexus camp blames ICS for the problems. I don't see the software as the issue, I believe the hardware is at fault. This seems to be true with Samsung in particular.

Having owned the Fascinate, Charge & Nexus, I see a pattern of wonky hardware regardless of o/s version. Could Samsung be using multiple vendors for their parts? Is it a QC problem?

Updates seem to make the devices work better, but they are never completely fixed. Bandaids only cover the wound, they don't heal them.

Sent from my reactivated Droid Charge using Tapatalk!

It cuts both ways IMO. Part of it is hardware. Without that AMOLED screen, you don't get blue/green tinting, grainy whites, etc. But without the screen, you don't have 720p HD, either. The camera blows, to say the least. And let's face it, 1.2 ghz is not the fastest out there. Hardware wise, it is by no means the prime standard.

But, on the other hand, part of it is integration of the software and the hardware, with adaptation being a heavy factor. ICS one of the biggest leaps, if not the biggest leap in Android in quite some time. There are bugs, especially when they're trying to do so much with it. Ignoring that is shortsighted IMHO.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

A fiasco? Of course not. The vast majority of the Nexus owners are having few, if any, problems as the poll even here (where people tend to come to complain) shows this. Yes, there are some known issues that are more common than others, but even then the issue doesn't seem to effect a significant portion of the users.

I sympathize with anyone having problems, but let's not act as if this is a "problem" phone. Personally, after the OG Droid, the DINC, the Thunderbolt, the Rezound (for two weeks) and now the Nexus, this is my least troublesome phone (tied with the Rezound).

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site

There are threads like this all over every droid or verizon forum out there- and I know some may not take notice, but there are threads like this for just about every Android phone out there. IF you look around the motorola forums, there are major issues with the Bionic and Razr, Thunderbolt, etc and they are still running Gingerbread, the OS thats been around for over a year now! My point being: there is no perfect Android phone yet, and every phone out there reports users having problems-so if you switch, it may not solve your problems. I own a Bionic and bought a NExus and I can tell you there are many users on the Moto forums reporting some of the same, exact issues reported here. I think I can honestly say they are trying to make it better-updates come, but they must first be tested to ensure they work and fix the issue.
I know its frustrating when your phone doesnt work and I totally understand that feeling-but they're not perfect. I really just wanted to say that phone problems are everywhere, across all platforms and different makers.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

This. This this this this THIS.

Please read the above again.

And again.

Those of you who whine about people who are having problems with our GNexs reporting the problems perplex me. Since you aren't having problems, then therefore no one else can be? Makes no sense. BTW - many of us have exchanged our devices and still are having problems.

If you live in a strong 4G area and aren't having any problems, good for you. But many of us are not just experiencing little bugs and data problems, we are experiencing a phone that doesn't work as a phone - dropped calls, mic cutting out, not being able to hear the other caller, etc. Sorry but you don't get it if you think our expectations are just too high since we expected a phone to work as a phone.

As for why we don't switch to another phone, some people have, but some of us are waiting to see if the OTA update helps the problem. If it does, then we will be happy. But that doesn't mean we aren't experiencing problems now.

So we just don't know what a nexus is about, huh? Isn't a GNex a PHONE? Yeah, it is. It should work as a phone then.

I am going to answer to you specifically, but not to bash you by any means so please dont take it that way.

I do not live in a 4g region. I do not have dropped calls, and in the probably 13 or so hours of talk time I have racked up on the nexus I have never had a mic cut out. Now, I do not say that to rub it in, and I do not say that to try and discredit the issues you are having. If I were having the issues that you were having I'm sure i would be just as disappointed in the phone and as frustrated as you are.

But, If I lived in a 4g area and was told by as many people on these forum boards as have said that turning your phone to CDMA only fixes the dropped call issue and for the most part the dropped data issue, I would switch my phone to CDMA only. Faster data speeds are not worth the headache of dropped calls. No, it is not an acceptable solution to the issue but it is a viable temporary one.

As for the mic problem... if that isn't related to 4g and has not been fixed by swapping phones then I would seriously start taking a look at installed apps. Issues like that don't occur at random in hardware. If it were a defective batch of phones, sure I suppose. But many people have claimed the issue keeps coming back in their freshly swapped out phone.

For the people that are having mic cutout problems: do some legitimate troubleshooting. Reset the phone to factory. Don't install ANY apps on the phone other than what came sock, set it to CDMA only, and get into a few 1+ hour long convos, see if the issue returns. If it does, request a new SIM card from Verizon, and if that doesn't work move on to a replacement phone and do it all over again. If the issue STILL persists then there's other external factors that are more than likely causing the problem.

I'm not here to criticize, I'm here to do whatever I can to assist those having problems, even if it means just throwing out random suggestions.

Reactions: Droid800

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

For the record, I am on my third Nexus, since I had to return two of them already. The first had horrid screen branding, and the second one had a speaker issue that would make a loud pop after every sound it made. I am now past the window to exchange it, so I am kinda stuck with it for now.

To those that were let down thinking it was a positive thread, I was in a loony mood and this just popped into my head.

To those that are sick of reading whiny threads, why take the time to mention you are sick of whiny threads and just ignore it all together? Not hard.

What is irritating is that I came from the original droid which was probably the best phone I have ever owned. I almost feel like, on a reliability standpoint, I just went from a Lexus to a Neon. I admit the ICS experience is pretty, but I almost wish I had gone with an iphone instead (I know, blasphemy). sigh.

Reactions: GNex Girl

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

To those that are sick of reading whiny threads, why take the time to mention you are sick of whiny threads and just ignore it all together? Not hard.

We do ignore whiny threads unless we are tricked into opening a whiny thread with a dishonest title.

You got what you deserve.

What is irritating is that I came from the original droid which was probably the best phone I have ever owned. I almost feel like, on a reliability standpoint, I just went from a Lexus to a Neon. I admit the ICS experience is pretty, but I almost wish I had gone with an iphone instead (I know, blasphemy). sigh.

Even Lexus owners get a lemon once in a while.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

We do ignore whiny threads unless we are tricked into opening a whiny thread with a dishonest title.

You got what you deserve.

Even Lexus owners get a lemon once in a while.

Good point, title changed. This should minimize the number of people posting here that would otherwise choose to pass over this thread.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Its so great!

First of all, I never have to reboot my phone because it does it AUTOMATICALLY! Yep, it seems that this phone is such a wonderkind that when it feels it needs to reboot for whatever reason, maybe the cache is just too full, it just does it on its own. Its like Magic!

Secondly, it seems to know when I don't want to talk to people! That's right, I can be in conversation and just like magic the microphone cuts out and the other person can't hear me. This is perfect because this allows me to say all kinds of swear words to the caller and they can't hear a thing. This is especially helpful when I do not like the caller very much. Whoever designed this phone is a genius!

Third, and this is probably my favorite, is that it knows when my data is going too high! If I am in a 4g area but I am using too much data, it just shuts 4g off for me, and chooses to only use 3g! Then, when 3g is even too much, it just drops all data completely! Saving the day again!

I can't express how much I love this phone. I don't know what new developer idea is going to come next, but my guess is whenever my battery is going to overheat due to how much super powers it is using, it will auto eject my battery with maybe a cool little parachute attached so it doesn't fall harshly on the ground, thus saving my precious battery.

For Valentines day, I will definitely be getting my ex-gf this phone so she can enjoy the wonders of it too!

Hahahahahahah LOVE IT!!!!!

Im calling vzw to beg for a different phone tomorrow.

This is turning out to be a fiasco for Google. Hopefully they will learn their lesson and never go with Samsung again for a nexus.

I have $200 invested in accessories so I am staying with this phone for now and will see what the OTA update brings.

For the record, I am on my third Nexus, since I had to return two of them already. The first had horrid screen branding, and the second one had a speaker issue that would make a loud pop after every sound it made. I am now past the window to exchange it, so I am kinda stuck with it for now.

To those that were let down thinking it was a positive thread, I was in a loony mood and this just popped into my head.

Life is too short to bewhining and dealing with the problems you seem to be having. I would do one of two things if I were in your position. First would be to add another line to my service and purchase the iPhone. Then I would sell the nexus and buy an inexpensive dumb phone.

The GN isn't for everyone. It is a brand new phone with a brand new operating system.

harleyb16

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
i think people will think exactly what they want to.

i've never had a android phone that didnt reboot randomly. my droid did, my droid 2 did more. my galaxy nexus has significantly done it less, but still does.

i love my phone, but its what you make of it really. some people are extremely bothered by one problem, while they are completely satisfied with the problems of another phone.

all android phones have their problems. so i guess it just depends on what problems you can live with :)

timhorton

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I moved to the Galaxy Nexus from a BB 9900 to test an Android App. I am a heavy, heavy email user and I have to say that the GMail app is my biggest disappointment. I moved all of my corporate email to GMail in October and love the fact that it's now "go with me anywhere", complete email solution but I expected that a phone made specifically for Google would have the absolute best GMail App possible. Here is what's sad, i use the native email app in "corporate / push" setting and don't use the GMail app at all. Otherwise though, the phone is fast and smooth. Not a one handed phone though like my 9900 (which I admit I miss for email and chat), although Google Chat on my phone using 3G is pretty awesome to have at my finger tips...sorry just wanted to vent that GMail issue....I feel better now. Am I crazy or does the GMail App suck?

Last edited: