4.0.4 OTA

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the 4.0.4 update myself (LTE) but I'm wondering if anyone has actually received it OTA yet? I was a bit confused about its release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, only one person claimed to have gotten the official OTA over the weekend (they provided a screenshot, but I didn't follow it enough to know if that was "debunked", or whatever). Someone on the rooting section posted something about the 4.0.4 update being skipped over to 4.0.5 and officially pushed out in March; don't know how accurate that will prove to be, though.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, only one person claimed to have gotten the official OTA over the weekend (they provided a screenshot, but I didn't follow it enough to know if that was "debunked", or whatever). Someone on the rooting section posted something about the 4.0.4 update being skipped over to 4.0.5 and officially pushed out in March; don't know how accurate that will prove to be, though.

Well considering the OTA file was harvested I would say it is a little more than a screenshot, but my guess is the person got it by mistake, his IEMI being very close to that of a tester and someone entered it wrong.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I flashed the 4.0.4 update myself (LTE) but I'm wondering if anyone has actually received it OTA yet? I was a bit confused about its release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The 4.0.4 was posted by a first time poster who has never posted on any other thread again. He was an insider who leaked it to us. The 4.0.4 OTA update has not been pushed to anyone yet.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The 4.0.4 was posted by a first time poster who has never posted on any other thread again. He was an insider who leaked it to us. The 4.0.4 OTA update has not been pushed to anyone yet.

I saw your comments on the other thread, and I am just curious how you know he is an insider. I am not saying your wrong or trying to start anything. Your comments just peaked my curiosity...you sound like you may be an insider yourself :D

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just did it myself. I remember doing it with my Nexus One but this was a little more involved. I like it so far.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I saw your comments on the other thread, and I am just curious how you know he is an insider. I am not saying your wrong or trying to start anything. Your comments just peaked my curiosity...you sound like you may be an insider yourself :D
Not an insider myself, but that was just too suspicious to be anything else. He has never posted before and all of a sudden wants to know how to stop this OTA? Then he claims to not be that good technically but has rooted and needs to be walked through the process of getting the files to us and voila, he gets it right in no time flat.

I spoke with VZW tier 2, not about the OTA, about the network issues in my area and the guy I spoke with has a GNex and was happy to talk off the record to me. He didn't tell me anything confidential, just that he has rooted his phone and installed the leaked 4.0.3 update and yes, he used the word leaked to me. I told him that 4.0.4 had leaked and he said he had read about that online but wouldn't get back to it until after work. He laughed and said he thought I should install the leaked 4.0.3 on my GNex because it would solve some of the problems I was having but said, that is not VZW talking now it is me talking.

He said there is no way that an OTA update was being pushed officially without tier 2 knowing about it because they have to be ready to help customers with the OTA update if necessary so VZW doesn't keep them in the dark about scheduled updates, which makes complete sense.

He said VZW takes usually about 1.5 months to approve an OTA update before they give the manufacturers or in this case Google the go ahead. So even though the OTA update for a nexus comes from Google, Google doesn't push it without getting the OK from VZW. This makes sense to me.

I think what has happened is some of the Google people who work on Android are frustrated by VZW and are leaking the updates because they want this phone - Google's flagship phone - to work for customers. That makes me happy to think that. They are trying to take care of their customers but they have to deal with VZW and so their way of trying to keep us happy until VZW gives the OK is to leak these files to us.

I am sure that Google developers read Android forums, aren't you?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This is nothing new. Leakers would create a account and just leak the file then disappear. Just b grateful u have the leak and stop trying to blow up the guy. I've seen this style way back in blackberry storm days

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Reactions: Chief83

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
stop trying to blow up the guy.
I am not trying to, but there are some who think his claims mean that the OTA is coming to them in the next few days. It's not. If you want to get a taste of the OTA, flash the leaked files.

I was one of the people who was waiting for the OTA. I realize now that isn't coming until March so I need to stop waiting and start rooting.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to, but there are some who think his claims mean that the OTA is coming to them in the next few days. It's not. If you want to get a taste of the OTA, flash the leaked files.

I was one of the people who was waiting for the OTA. I realize now that isn't coming until March so I need to stop waiting and start rooting.

You won't even have to root but you will have to unlock your boot-loader.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Thats something I don't understand u bought a developer device but only plan to keep it stock. The phone is designed to test stuff

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your insight Gnex Girl.

Either way, glad to see it come out...now i just need to stop kicking myself for not unlocking the bootloader when I first got the GN...all well it sounds like it will be worth wiping the phone to get the better battery and radios. (although I am not have nearly as many problems as others are).

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thats something I don't understand u bought a developer device but only plan to keep it stock. The phone is designed to test stuff

That's something I don't understand. I bought the device because it was the only phone with ICS and it'll be the first to get future updates. Why do some people feel this phone should be exclusive to developers?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't planning on keeping it stock. I was under the impression that we were getting an OTA update fairly soon, like January, into 2012. And it was my understanding that you needed to have 4.0.2 stock installed to get the update. So before I started messing with the thing, I wanted to get the OTA.

Obviously that didn't happen and now it looks like March before we will get the OTA so I need to start messing with the thing because I can't wait any longer.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So to flash the update, you have to have your boot loader unlocked? If I flash it will it wipe my phone and I have to reinstall it all over again? If I flash this will I be able to get future OTA updates?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So to flash the update, you have to have your boot loader unlocked? If I flash it will it wipe my phone and I have to reinstall it all over again? If I flash this will I be able to get future OTA updates?
unlocking the bootloader wipes the device.

I was under the impression that to get the OTA update you had to have 4.0.2 stock as your OS. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought based on what I have read here. That is why I was waiting. Perhaps someone can clarify.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't planning on keeping it stock. I was under the impression that we were getting an OTA update fairly soon, like January, into 2012. And it was my understanding that you needed to have 4.0.2 stock installed to get the update. So before I started messing with the thing, I wanted to get the OTA.

Obviously that didn't happen and now it looks like March before we will get the OTA so I need to start messing with the thing because I can't wait any longer.

where did you hear march? i heard it was middle february lol

i might unlock the boot or whatever if it's going to take that long.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois