Lets hunt down App causing restarts

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Im not positive, but im willin to guess there is an app (or two) causing our restarts..

Maybe those of us who are experiencing lots of restarts (like a couple a week) can post a list of the apps they have installed...
Then I can dump them into excel and see if I can find any common Apps among everyone...

Just a thought...

-Danny

radsaq

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm positive it's not. Ideally, an app misbehaving should never be able to crash an operating system, but obviously the reality of software means that this isn't going to be true.

And one common crash complaint seems to involve things like playing audio in any media player or Listen, which would point towards a crash bug in the system's audio framework. I've also seen crashes while using the Messaging app. And I've also seen the system go unresponsive twice now (forcing a battery pull) after telling the android market website to install a large (20+mb) game on the device.

None of these sound to me (a professional software engineer) like a problem with any specific user-space applications.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought it could be an app too, but I started seeing my reboots occur in correlation to two different things:

1. Stock camera app. I have had my phone reboot on me 3 times when entering the stock camera app, and that may not be an issue with the app but maybe the camera being activated making the OS hiccup.

2. WiFi, or data in general. I have had this phone reboot on me at the MINIMUM about 5 or 6 times without me even doing anything on it. I've noticed that once it happened when I was in a cellular service fringe area, and all the other times it occured either right after comming into range of a saved wifi connection or right after leaving one.

Obviously with me not being a software engineer at all, with one saying it probably isn't an app I'm inclined to believe him, unless maybe that app activates or deactivates hardware on the phone.

EDIT: also interesting to mention that since I installed 4.0.4 my phone hasnt rebooted itself, but it's also only been 24hrs, so time will tell.

radsaq

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought it could be an app too, but I started seeing my reboots occur in correlation to two different things:

1. Stock camera app. I have had my phone reboot on me 3 times when entering the stock camera app, and that may not be an issue with the app but maybe the camera being activated making the OS hiccup.

2. WiFi, or data in general. I have had this phone reboot on me at the MINIMUM about 5 or 6 times without me even doing anything on it. I've noticed that once it happened when I was in a cellular service fringe area, and all the other times it occured either right after comming into range of a saved wifi connection or right after leaving one.

Obviously with me not being a software engineer at all, with one saying it probably isn't an app I'm inclined to believe him, unless maybe that app activates or deactivates hardware on the phone.

EDIT: also interesting to mention that since I installed 4.0.4 my phone hasnt rebooted itself, but it's also only been 24hrs, so time will tell.

Activating/deactivating the camera definitely falls under the category of "things that should ideally never crash the operating system but is eventually likely to happen". ;) The integration of the hardware and the software drivers required to drive that sort of definitely increases the chances that there's a bug at some level that may well be lower down than the camera app itself.

I never saw any sort of correlation between wifi/3g and random crashes (not to say that I think you're wrong), though it does seem to me like the wireless drivers in 4.0.2 are definitely buggy. Typically after about 2 days of uptime (if the phone hadn't crashed by that time) I would start to see either the wifi driver get into a wedged state (I'm guessing based on log messages) where it would cease to function and require a reboot, or the 3g data would quit working until I cycled airplane mode (is this the data bug I've seen discussed a bunch?).

Anyway, I guess the reason I'm communicating all of this is just to further suggest that 4.0.2 seems so buggy in so many ways that are related to operating system-level software ways that I highly doubt any single app or set of apps is to blame for instability.

(And I'm approaching 24 hours on 4.0.4 now, which seems vastly improved in a number of ways. Let's hope this fixes everything. ;))

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My restarts have all occurred when I'm listening to pandora, on wifi. Doesn't happen when I'm on 3G/4G. However, the occurrences are far and between.

Last edited:

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that has caused mine to crash is going straight to stock camera app from the lock screen. Freezes the phone then it reboots. Happened maybe 6 or 7 times.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Activating/deactivating the camera definitely falls under the category of "things that should ideally never crash the operating system but is eventually likely to happen". ;) The integration of the hardware and the software drivers required to drive that sort of definitely increases the chances that there's a bug at some level that may well be lower down than the camera app itself.

I never saw any sort of correlation between wifi/3g and random crashes (not to say that I think you're wrong), though it does seem to me like the wireless drivers in 4.0.2 are definitely buggy. Typically after about 2 days of uptime (if the phone hadn't crashed by that time) I would start to see either the wifi driver get into a wedged state (I'm guessing based on log messages) where it would cease to function and require a reboot, or the 3g data would quit working until I cycled airplane mode (is this the data bug I've seen discussed a bunch?).

Anyway, I guess the reason I'm communicating all of this is just to further suggest that 4.0.2 seems so buggy in so many ways that are related to operating system-level software ways that I highly doubt any single app or set of apps is to blame for instability.

(And I'm approaching 24 hours on 4.0.4 now, which seems vastly improved in a number of ways. Let's hope this fixes everything. ;))

I agree, 4.0.4 seems a lot more stable than 4.0.2. Im approaching 48hrs now and no issues with wifi or reboots, but that isnt saying much quite yet. Ill be satisfied when I hit a week without wifi to 3g swtching problems and 2 weeks without a reboot.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that has caused mine to crash is going straight to stock camera app from the lock screen. Freezes the phone then it reboots. Happened maybe 6 or 7 times.
I was just on vacation, used camera numerous times and went to lock screen from camera many times and never encountered a reboot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

datdudeike

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Navigation seems to cause restarts, at the absolute worst times (ie on the highway while traveling to a new city for work)

Plume freezes and restarts usually when trying to share a link from the browser to twitter.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Navigation and the camera hit my first phone hard. I've only had one random reboot on my second, but it's been on a ROM most of it's life.

BTW, I've used Pandora for 6 hours straight without issue.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm positive it's not. Ideally, an app misbehaving should never be able to crash an operating system, but obviously the reality of software means that this isn't going to be true.

And one common crash complaint seems to involve things like playing audio in any media player or Listen, which would point towards a crash bug in the system's audio framework. I've also seen crashes while using the Messaging app. And I've also seen the system go unresponsive twice now (forcing a battery pull) after telling the android market website to install a large (20+mb) game on the device.

None of these sound to me (a professional software engineer) like a problem with any specific user-space applications.
I agree. The problem is most likely in the system that runs the apps, hence the Android joke int post 2.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Google Chrome.

I posted it in the Chrome thread. I was using it very heavily last night. Hit a link on Facebook, selected Chrome, and the loading bar got a quarter of the way when the reboot occurred.

Restarted, opened Chrome. Found the same link via Google. Reboot. Turned phone off, did a batt pull, restarted.

Opened Chrome. Decided to go to here (AC) via my bookmarks. Guess what happened?

So I deleted Chrome, rebooted in recovery and wiped cache/dalvik. Unsure if there's a conflict with any of my setup or if the cache load was too heavy. I may try again earlier today but monitoring the cache load.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I was sitting on a very important conference call (on speakerphone which I have always taken from previous cell phones and has never been an issue) when all of a sudden my phone rebooted. I missed a very important part of the call where I was supposed to do a presentation.

Shortly after that I was at the Verizon store getting a RAZR MAXX and the GN is sitting unused in my desk drawer.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time. I've installed a load of apps, used most of the features regularly including camera and navigation. I don't think it is stock features causing problem. More in line with thought it's related to apps not updated for ICS and probably more than one in conjunction with another.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time. I've installed a load of apps, used most of the features regularly including camera and navigation. I don't think it is stock features causing problem. More in line with thought it's related to apps not updated for ICS and probably more than one in conjunction with another.

I think that's the likeliest conclusion.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to slander an app if that's possible, but since installing Android pro widgets calendar module I've had a few glitches..I love the app though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463