What's with that keyboard icon at the top left of the screen?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Swiftkey as my default keyboard. Every time I'm on a screen where I can type something into a field, there is this keyboard icon At the top of the screen, and if I drag it down, it gives me options to change the input method to the stock keyboard, voice, etc. I just want this icon to go away amd not pop up anymore. Is there any way to do this?

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Why are people so offended by this icon? It's only there when the keyboard is up and it's purpose is to allow you to switch between keyboards. Previous versions of Android used a long-press on the input field which was a hidden feature that you wouldn't know about unless you stumbled across it or someone told you. The icon gives the new user a visual cue and that's a good thing.

Reactions: moosc

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I love that icon. SwiftKey is awesome, but voice typing is great if you are driving or writing a long email.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
This is great. I had been using stock because of the occasional need for voice. Now back to SwiftKey. Sweet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The only way it goes away is if you only use the stock keyboard. The moment you use another, the keyboard icon surfaces and allows you to toggle back. We use it to toggle to voice, but too bad voice isn't just a button, rather than a swipe, and 2 presses.

Reactions: naiveshopper

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why are people so offended by this icon? It's only there when the keyboard is up and it's purpose is to allow you to switch between keyboards. Previous versions of Android used a long-press on the input field which was a hidden feature that you wouldn't know about unless you stumbled across it or someone told you. The icon gives the new user a visual cue and that's a good thing.

Because I like Swiftkey, and therefore don't need to switch back to the stock keyboard, and certainly don't need a notification type reminder at the top to serve as a distraction. That's fine to have it there for people new to Android, but I'm not and would like to be able to hide it.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The only way it goes away is if you only use the stock keyboard. The moment you use another, the keyboard icon surfaces and allows you to toggle back. We use it to toggle to voice, but too bad voice isn't just a button, rather than a swipe, and 2 presses.

That's what I don't get though. If you use Swiftkey, there is a button second from the left of the space bar that has the microphone. Tap it, then tap the voice icon that pops up, and bingo...the stock Android voice command pops up. Because of this, the icon at the top is redundant and unnecessary, because I don't want to switch away from Swiftkey, and I can still get to voice in 2 clicks from Swiftkey

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Dl a rom that toggles the toggle on or off. Personally if its such a visual nuess to u must b typing alot. I barely see unless I stop typing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's what I don't get though. If you use Swiftkey, there is a button second from the left of the space bar that has the microphone. Tap it, then tap the voice icon that pops up, and bingo...the stock Android voice command pops up. Because of this, the icon at the top is redundant and unnecessary, because I don't want to switch away from Swiftkey, and I can still get to voice in 2 clicks from Swiftkey

If I'm not mistaken that's the Swiftkey interface of voice to text (even if it looks like the regular Google voice). Try it on Swiftkey and say a sentence, pause and continue your sentence, then try it using the icon up top, you can pause and start as many times as you wish. That's the difference (unless the paid swiftlet allows it)

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken that's the Swiftkey interface of voice to text (even if it looks like the regular Google voice). Try it on Swiftkey and say a sentence, pause and continue your sentence, then try it using the icon up top, you can pause and start as many times as you wish. That's the difference (unless the paid swiftlet allows it)

I stand corrected, and I have the paid version. It brings up the Swiftkey voice prompt, which can't hold a candle to the google one.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to try this as I had been trying out the stock keyboard but when I activated SwiftkeyX and then go into an SMS, I don't get the icon. I am running AOKP M3. Maybe this was removed? Never really paid attention before ;)

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to try this as I had been trying out the stock keyboard but when I activated SwiftkeyX and then go into an SMS, I don't get the icon. I am running AOKP M3. Maybe this was removed? Never really paid attention before ;)

I believe in your settings, input, you need to have Google voice also checked.