Speaker phone puts display into coma

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have my power button set to end phone calls in phone settings.
I wonder if that is why I can't wake up the display after the display goes off during a call where I have turned on the speaker. So I have no choice but to keep the call in speaker mode until finished. If I hit the power button the call is ended.
Anybody else notice this?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't use this setting, but it sounds like it's working exactly like it's supposed to. It also sounds like a poorly designed setting. Only recommendation I could give is to turn it off.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Unless I'm missing something here, that has got to be the worst use of a power button. You want it to turn off your screen during calls and turn it back on when your screen times out. I agree...disable that option.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the phone is "supposed to" go completely stealth at any time. For example if the display turns off during a call and you want to enter numbers you simply tilt the phone down and the display turns back on. I believe the problem with the display going irreversibly blanko is a bug or a sad user interface under-sight.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have my power button set to end phone calls in phone settings.
I wonder if that is why I can't wake up the display after the display goes off during a call where I have turned on the speaker. So I have no choice but to keep the call in speaker mode until finished. If I hit the power button the call is ended.
Anybody else notice this?

If you really want to keep that function on and you want the screen to go back on, hold the phone towards your ear like you would on a call (despite speaker being on) the move the phone naturally to where your looking at the screen in front of you, it should light up automatically.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If you really want to keep that function on and you want the screen to go back on, hold the phone towards your ear like you would on a call (despite speaker being on) the move the phone naturally to where your looking at the screen in front of you, it should light up automatically.

Yes that works if you are not on speaker and you want the display to wake up, it does not work if you have speaker on. I tried that.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes that works if you are not on speaker and you want the display to wake up, it does not work if you have speaker on. I tried that.

I don't talk usually other than speaker phone too. That's why I would re-bring the phone to my ear then back down. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore.

markplow

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I see there are several posts on this issue, but most seem to be rather old. Does that mean there is a fix for this? I just got my Samsung Galaxy 2 and it is doing the same thing. The SW is up to date. Any update or help would be appreciated.

Mattijs Kneppers

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup exactly the same problem here. When the phone is on speaker, the screen turns off after a while and then there is no way left *at all* to interact with the phone during that call. Pressing the power button by default terminates the call.

This simply points to two interface design mistakes:
1) When the phone is in a call, on speaker, the power saving modus of the screen disables all interaction with the phone without any good reason.
2) The main role of the power button is to activate the phone, however the button is additionally used to terminate active calls. Not a good combination.

To turn off the default power save ends call setting, go to Settings, Accessibility, Power button ends call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34