Initiating Voice Actions and Voice Search

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
On previous Android phones, initiating Voice Actions/Search was as easy as simply holding the hardware search button. But the Galaxy Nexus lost that button. Right now the only two ways I had found to initiate the function is by pressing the ridiculously small microphone to the right of the Google search box at the top of the home screen. This is not an easy icon to hit when driving, but at least it opens up the new ICS voice recognition protocol.

I also found an app called "Voice Dialer" in the app drawer, and I added it to the home screen. But this operates differently than the new and improved ICS speech recognition feature. This Voice Dialer app looks like a carryover from Gingerbread, and I noticed it is not as accurate.

Also, has anyone found a comprehensive tutorial on what the voice commands are? I understand it won't be like Siri, but if I am driving, can I schedule an appointment using voice or can I simply open the calendar app by speaking "Open Calendar"?

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You can get Voice Search in the Market which does the same thing as the long press on the old search button (without having to long press).

https://market.android.com/details?...sImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC52b2ljZXNlYXJjaCJd

If you put it right in your app tray on the bottom, it will always be in front of you.

You can't do that on GNEX though because the Voice Search does not show up in the app tray even when downloaded from market. It is just integrated into the OS.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You can unlock, root and flash a rom. Most recently released have an option to include a search softkey. Press and hold for voice commands.

dropped from CodeName Nexus via TapaTalk

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
2 options.

First - Get Nova launcher from XDA (google it) and you can set the home key to open the voice search on the home screen. It's also about a thousand times better than the stock launcher, but it looks and functions exactly the same.

Second - Use the VLingo apk ported from the Galaxy Note.
[APP] Newest VLingo ported from Galaxy Note - xda-developers

Vlingo will probably be your best bet for using voice commands while driving.

Last edited:

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Wait, wait, that is right. I completely forgot. I got this from a another site, maybe Droid Life or somewhere, a version of Voice Search which actually works as it is supposed to on the Nexus. The only problem was that it used the old interface (which was not that big of a problem, same engine and results). But then I was surprised when the market showed an update for the app,which I figured would replace it with the one that doesn't work, and thus break it. But I applied the update anyway (knowing I could uninstall and go back to the old version if needed. But, the update worked (got the newer UI), and did NOT break the app.

So, I am wondering whether one of the versions of the app in the Market (I see there are two) now works with ICS. I have the one with the 100,000+ installs. Try it, and if it doesn't work, I can try to track down the apk of the one that does.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, here is what I did, and it worked fine for me. Somewhere I heard that if you find, download and install the following apk:

VoiceSearch_1.5.apk

This will install and work on the Nexus the way the old app did, as as separate app from the Google search bar. And it worked fine for me.

You can do a search for that exact apk and you should be able to find a place hosting it for download, I just use Chrome to Phone (or Fox to Phone) to right-click and send it straight to my phone, then I just click on it to install it.

Here is the screenshot of it sitting on one of my home screens (I took it off of my bottom bar because I needed that space for stuff I actually used more). At first it had the square icon, like the old one, but then when it updated, I got this nice new round icon:

Screenshot_2012-02-16-10-03-46.png

Last edited:

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If you install the apk since it will replace a system app, is it irreversible? And will it allow continuous dictation and pausing?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The Google Search (which I have disabled) is still there, and the Voice Dialer (also disabled) is still there. The only thing it seemed to do was add Voice Search.

The Voice Search doesn't use the new "Voice Input" dictation as far as I know. I think this is because so much of its use doesn't need it, like doing a google search, or asking for directions or a map, etc. It would be useful when you want to send a text, though. It did upgrade to the slightly changed UI, but the functionality is the same as before.

But I have one caveat, I use Swift Key as my keyboard to replace the stock ICS keyboard. Swiftkey doesn't use the new dictation (they are still working on that) so even when the keyboard is up and I press the mic there, I don't get that feature. I don't think this effects the use the Voice Search by itself, though.

I barely even tried Google Search before disabling it, does pressing the mic on that widget use the new dictation?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
does pressing the mic on that widget use the new dictation?

Yes and no, it's almost the new screen, there's no voice continue button in the bottom right like market shows. I want that button!

It says I have it installed on market but ours is different without that functionally

185dbd5b-3ffa-15a3.jpg
185dbd5b-401b-18a4.jpg

sccpmusc26

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You will love your phone much more if you root it. I haven't seen a rom that doesn't give an option for a soft search key to be placed by the recent apps key.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When I try to use the stock Voice commands for email or text msgs everything ends up in the "message " field. The " to " field is blank. And it never recognizes any contact names to call. If I send a "note to self " it says it's sending but where does it send it? All very frustrating.

Sent from my stock non-rooted GN

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no, it's almost the new screen, there's no voice continue button in the bottom right like market shows. I want that button!

It says I have it installed on market but ours is different without that functionally

my impression was that the voice dictation function only work when you used the mic on the keyboard, not from the voice search button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
When I try to use the stock Voice commands for email or text msgs everything ends up in the "message " field. The " to " field is blank. And it never recognizes any contact names to call. If I send a "note to self " it says it's sending but where does it send it? All very frustrating.

Note to self sends a recorded voice message to gmail....the rest of them ........
call......joe
Email....joe.....message
Set...alarm...8am
Text....joe.....message
Navigate..to...address

Theres a couple more but I dont use them. Say them with very short pauses berween and make sure you annunciate

You dont need a number in your contacts for it to work for calling......for instance....I have a chinese place close to me called Chens house. I simply say...call...Chens house...marietta Pa......and it will find the number and call it. So saying call...the name of the businees and it town/state works to.....another example....call...Gap....park city center...lancaster Pa.

Last edited:

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Note to self sends a recorded voice message to gmail....the rest of them ........
call......joe
Email....joe.....message
Set...alarm...8am
Text....joe.....message
Navigate..to...address

Theres a couple more but I dont use them. Say them with very short pauses berween and make sure you annunciate

You dont need a number in your contacts for it to work for calling......for instance....I have a chinese place close to me called Chens house. I simply say...call...Chens house...marietta Pa......and it will find the number and call it. So saying call...the name of the businees and it town/state works to.....another example....call...Gap....park city center...lancaster Pa.

Thanks I did try all that. If I say call...Ben. it brings up a search page of businesses it thinks I said. Anything else, text messages or email, the To field is always blank and everything is placed in the Message field. The note to self worked and find and navigate to also work.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I did try all that. If I say call...Ben. it brings up a search page of businesses it thinks I said. Anything else, text messages or email, the To field is always blank and everything is placed in the Message field. The note to self worked and find and navigate to also work.

That suck man. Mine works near flawlessly. When you open the voice search hit the little wrench and check if youhave english as default. And check the personalized bix thing thats supposed to improve voice recognition.

Reactions: Newport Viper

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

This is exactly what happens on my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome