LTE Data Usage on GNex

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys & gals,

I am about to jump on the galaxy today or tomorrow and I was wondering how much data a typical Gnex user is going through. My options are as follows:

4GB $30
6GB with Hotspot $50
10GB $50

I currently have WIFI at home,but I am considering using LTE as a replacement.

If anyone cares to share their typical data usage on this glorious device, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I stream a radio station at work for a few hours a day and casually surf the web. I don't think I've went over 2 GB or so of data. Right now, I am on track for 2.4 GB.
Unless you are constantly downloading or uploading videos, i can't imagine how anyone uses 5 GB or more. I have unlimited. but, if I were starting over and only had those options, I would go for the 4 GB. Use wi-fi whenever possible. It also saves your battery life, in addition to your data.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
FYI - with the GNex, you don't have to pay for the hotspot even unrooted (using the app SwitchPro Widget - search the board). So either go for the 4GB or 10GB plans.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

& very good info Gnex girl. I am reading up on that widget right now.

I am leaning toward getting the 10GB. Not sure I can even go thru so much data but the deal seems so good that it is hard to pass up. LTE is amazing and don't want to miss out.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

How much data do you use per month yosteve? I was kinda hoping i could get an idea how much I would use.

I am coming from an EVO 4G. I only used about 1.5 GB a month, but the 3G on Sprint is so poor in my area, that I would many times not use it even tho I wanted to. I know I won't have that problem with LTE.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

How much data do you use per month yosteve? I was kinda hoping i could get an idea how much I would use.
For many people, it just depends on whether they can connect to WiFi at work or at home. If I couldn't connect to WiFi at work or at home, I would use over 2GB a month. As long as I have WiFi at home and at work, I can stay under 2GB.

Neroon.

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I usually average 4g a month. But the first month of having my Nexus I went a little crazy and used 15g. Lol! Glad Im grandfathered in on an unlimited plan.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
With my Droid X I was using about 2.5Gb a month but the past two months since owning my GN I have used over 6Gb. I am watching more Netflix than before. I assume it will slow down but I am glad I have unlimited in case it doesn't.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
How much LTE data do you suppose one would need to do away with Wifi at home altogether? Verizon has some large 20 something data packages available. I pay $60 a month for Wifi alone.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
How much LTE data do you suppose one would need to do away with Wifi at home altogether? Verizon has some large 20 something data packages available. I pay $60 a month for Wifi alone.

It totally depends on what you do on the internet. Are you uploading or downloading large files all the time?

What I would do is start with the 10GB plan, and then tether your laptop to your phone and see how much you use. You can always downgrade.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah but it's the 'double data promotion'

if i alter plans, I will probably be dropped to non promotional prices which would be 2GB for $30 or 5GB for $50.

not such a good deal then.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah but it's the 'double data promotion'

if i alter plans, I will probably be dropped to non promotional prices which would be 2GB for $30 or 5GB for $50.

not such a good deal then.
As long as the double the data plan is still going on, you can downgrade and still get double the data. Also, everytime they run the double the data promotion, you can downgrade and still get double the data. So all existing VZW customers with 4G phones right now can switch from 2GB for $30 to 4GB for $30. They just have to call and ask for it.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
First month I used about 30GB. Second 40GB. This month around 15-20GB. I listen to a lot of Google Music and it streams the next several songs ahead of time. Plus I tether to my iPad a lot.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
As long as the double the data plan is still going on, you can downgrade and still get double the data. Also, everytime they run the double the data promotion, you can downgrade and still get double the data. So all existing VZW customers with 4G phones right now can switch from 2GB for $30 to 4GB for $30. They just have to call and ask for it.

I just called and it looks like I was wrong. You have to buy a new 4G phone to get the double the data promo - either a new 4G line activation or an upgrade of an existing 3G phone to a 4G phone.

However, if you are an existing VZW 4G phone customer and want double the data, the guy said to try the CMO (continuing marketing operations) department at 1-800-735-7744 to see if they will switch you to double the data without a new line activation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm