New Nexus Owner - It's Great, but missing a few things

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just switched over from a Fascinate (rooted & customized) to the Galaxy Nexus yesterday. So far it's a pretty great phone. I haven't rooted yet or been able to look over all the customizations out there. But there are a couple features I miss already from my Fascinate especially relating to the dial pad.

There's no one touch dialing (other than for voicemail assigned to button 1). One touch dialing for specified contacts has been a feature on every cell phone I've owned in the past 12 years (smart phone or regular).... why not on the Nexus? Also, the Fascinate had a terrific feature that if you started dialing a number or name using the dialpad it would display possible matches from your contacts. I LOVED that feature. The Nexus dialpad is just a stripped down manual dialer with no features at all.

I also don't love the Messaging theme.. it's a little too plain for me. I preferred the bubble conversations in the Fascinate..but this one is pretty minor. I'll get used to it.

The facial recognition is pretty cool and works faster than I thought it would..although I haven't decided yet if I'll leave it on.

I'm looking forward to using this phone..complaints aside, it's pretty sweet.

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The messaging bubble was a part of touch wiz on the facinate also the dialer, that was a great phone when I had it but the data problems I had I couldn't stand not getting calls or data.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Once you root and flash some custom roms you'll get those features back. I'm on AOKP and in the dialer if I start to type a name or number it gives me possible matches.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It does have something similar. Here's how to set it up.

Star a contact
You can star the contacts you communicate with most frequently. Then you can view just your starred contacts in the Favorites tab.

To star a contact:

Open your contacts.
Touch a contact to view its details.
Touch the star at the top of the screen.
The star highlights.

To unstar a contact:

View the details for a starred contact.
Touch the white star at the top of the screen.
The star dims and the contact is removed from the Favorites tab.

Once you have your favorites setup, click on the smiley face icon within the dialer Your frequently dialed numbers will also show up in this screen. I use it for 90% of the calls I make. You can also setup a shortcut on the home screen for contacts you frequently dial.

It takes some time to get used to any new phone. Give a couple of weeks and you won't miss Touchwiz at all.

TUCRACEMAN

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
You can always make direct dial widgets for the contacts you use most. I have a screen with just my direct dial contacts. press it once, and it calls.
~D

Reactions: Nechasin

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante