The ICS color scheme is horrible outdoors

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I love ICS. It's the reason I bought the Galaxy Nexus. The color scheme is very nice and subtle. Indoors, that is.

The blue lettering on a black background (pull down the notification bar for an example) is almost impossible to read in bright sunlight. The screen is bright enough outdoors when there is contrast on the screen, black on white or white on black is fine. But there are many things I have to guess at. The home button and back button are too feint to see in daylight but since they're consistently placed I can guess at them and figure it out.

I wish there was an "Outdoor" setting that made for better contrast. Microsoft has had this built into Windows for decades, one would think that Google would notice this and accommodate the outdoor folks.

slycen

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually I am very interested in this idea. When the light sensor is saturated have the option to auto fade to a a high contrast color scheme, at least for system, maybe Google apps. Time to hit the code :)

Edit: Let me also say that I have no real problem reading it in bright sun, I just like the idea and think it would be good to integrate for devices without such great screens.

Tabguy, do you use autobrightness? or have it set lower all the time? that could severely effect your ability to see it.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems reading in sunlight either. Maybe some just have better vision than others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
i have to turn on the brightness to full in direct sunlight because of the steinheil oleophobic's reflectivenss. without it though, no probs on 50%

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here I have no screen protector and I have no issue in the sunlight. Actually I can pretty much perfectly in the sunlight.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This screen is much easier to read in the sunlight then any of the other phones I've had - Moto droid, Dinc, and Thunderbolt. The other 3 were almost impossibly to read where I have no issues now :D