Grey Data bars??

under999

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I am getting grey data bars a lot lately. I still have data but I am not getting my gtalk or gmails on time. What does the grey data bars mean? How do I get them blue again?

I am running the leaked 4.0.4 update stock rooted.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Grey Data bars????

I am getting grey data bars a lot lately. I still have data but I am not getting my gtalk or gmails on time. What does the grey data bars mean? How do I get them blue again?

I am running the leaked 4.0.4 update stock rooted.

Grey bars are basically telling you that there is no data connectivity going to your phone. (I think it has something to do with not being able to contact google servers, but usually its one in the same) Best way to fix it is to put your phone in airplane mode for a minute then turn airplane mode off.

If you are in an area with 4g service at the moment 4g is down nationwide so this could be causing that too. Youll need to switch your phone over to CDMA Only mode to fix the gray bars if they dont do it themselves.

under999

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Its been doing this before the nationwide outage. Does it have anything to do with the 4.0.4 radios? I have on 4.0.4 for a while now and this problem showed up about 2 weeks ago.

under999

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Grey bars are basically telling you that there is no data connectivity going to your phone. (I think it has something to do with not being able to contact google servers, but usually its one in the same) Best way to fix it is to put your phone in airplane mode for a minute then turn airplane mode off.

If you are in an area with 4g service at the moment 4g is down nationwide so this could be causing that too. Youll need to switch your phone over to CDMA Only mode to fix the gray bars if they dont do it themselves.

I just put in/out of airplane mode and that didn't help. Is there any other fix? I depend on gmail and gtalk a lot.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Did you accidentally turn mobile data off or hit your phones data usage limit on the data usage screen.

albyone

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Hi there....

I have been trying to get an answer to this too.

I too upgraded to the leaked 4.0.4 Stock ROM and within a few days, I started to get the greyed data bars. My phone data usage limit is set to 200 GB (as has been for the past 2 months) since I have unlimited plan and 'Set mobile data limit" is not checked on.

I think this has something to do with the radio code since this never happened to me when on 4.0.2.

Does anyone else know of some black magic that can fix this?

The only way to resolve this currently is to reboot the phone. I have tried switching to air plane mode, WiFi mode etc etc.... nothing works.....except a reboot.

Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Hi there....

I have been trying to get an answer to this too.

I too upgraded to the leaked 4.0.4 Stock ROM and within a few days, I started to get the greyed data bars. My phone data usage limit is set to 200 GB (as has been for the past 2 months) since I have unlimited plan and 'Set mobile data limit" is not checked on.

I think this has something to do with the radio code since this never happened to me when on 4.0.2.

Does anyone else know of some black magic that can fix this?

The only way to resolve this currently is to reboot the phone. I have tried switching to air plane mode, WiFi mode etc etc.... nothing works.....except a reboot.

Thanks!

I have the .4 radios, and here's what I do when I see grey:

Go to Accounts/Sync--turn it off, turn it on. Do the same with airplane mode. Reboot (if you're rooted and such, go into CWM--wipe cache/dalvik--reboot). Should be blue. If not, there's something actually wrong or the network is down (usually).

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This has been happening to me as well in my house where normally I have full bars with 4G. Suddenly I'll lose all connectivity for a couple minutes..unable to place calls or send texts...wifi continues to work. Then it comes back on its own and often with grey bars. Then eventually blue bars. Annoying.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to toggle wifi, LTE and airplane mode a few times when this happens. It eventually works itself out. I'm running AOKP 4.0.3.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 4.0.2 and get the same thing, but even grey wifi bars and NO access even when around good signals. Started happening the day of the nationwide outage (Wednesday) and continues sporadically. No resolution so far.

TJH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34