Nova Launcher now in the Android Market

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have no opinion on Nova, because I've never used it. It sounds great but I bought ADW EX back when I had my fascinate. I am just so comfortable with it. Plus every feature nova has, adw has, plus more I suspect. Runs great on ics with no bugs.

Not bashing at all, just saying I like ADW.

skarletknite

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i definitely noticed a speed/performance issue. i had been running nova launcher beta for almost 2 months, and getting each update. i decided to briefly switch back to stock last week and i immediately noticed how much more responsive stock was, especially when moving btwn screens. i like nova launcher a lot, i love the scrolling dock feature, but i'm not sure if i like it enough to sacrifice performance for it. has anyone done any testing on the paid version to see how much more resources (if any) it uses vs stock?

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i definitely noticed a speed/performance issue. i had been running nova launcher beta for almost 2 months, and getting each update. i decided to briefly switch back to stock last week and i immediately noticed how much more responsive stock was, especially when moving btwn screens. i like nova launcher a lot, i love the scrolling dock feature, but i'm not sure if i like it enough to sacrifice performance for it. has anyone done any testing on the paid version to see how much more resources (if any) it uses vs stock?

That's the exact issue i am having. I like a few of the features Nova offers but like you said not enough to sacrifice performance. I would also be interested to know if the paid version performs better, but somehow i don't see that being the case.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's the exact issue i am having. I like a few of the features Nova offers but like you said not enough to sacrifice performance. I would also be interested to know if the paid version performs better, but somehow i don't see that being the case.

I find that turning off the scroll effect for screens is the best option. It's the same for all launchers.. animations will always increase the possibility of lag. Some more than others... the cube effect seems to have the biggest impact.. it was the same with Launcher Pro.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Nova yesterday and I must say that I love it. I haven't had any issue with lag or anything scrolling between screens but I did have a force close of the launcher once. I guess this may be because I just started using it yesterday I haven't noticed huge changes but I like it. Not a huge step above the stock but good supplement. One question though... Is there a way to stop the dock from scrolling? Like only allow the dock to have 1 actually dock and can't be scrolled side to side?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I updated to the paid version on friday (ver.1.0) I had no lag that I saw with the scroll effect on.

I now have it off on both the scroll transition when scrolling between home screens and the scroll transition scrolling between app/widget drawer pages.While the eye candy does look cool its just that eye candy ;)

Nova has since updated to ver.1.0.1 that happened yesterday afternoon.
So far I am liking this launcher the best of the ones I have used.
I have used Go launcher and ADW launcher as well ,your opinion may vary however thats why there is more then one launcher on the market ha.:)
I was a LPP user when it was the top dog.(still have that on my incredible)

(snip...) One question though... Is there a way to stop the dock from scrolling? Like only allow the dock to have 1 actually dock and can't be scrolled side to side?

Yes you can make the dock not scroll from side to side. So just a non scrolling dock is all you have
It's in Nova settings >Dock>Dock Pages>then select just 1 from that list.
The list allows you to select 1,2 or 3 pages for the dock to scroll depending on your preference.:)

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Nova yesterday and I must say that I love it. I haven't had any issue with lag or anything scrolling between screens but I did have a force close of the launcher once. I guess this may be because I just started using it yesterday I haven't noticed huge changes but I like it. Not a huge step above the stock but good supplement. One question though... Is there a way to stop the dock from scrolling? Like only allow the dock to have 1 actually dock and can't be scrolled side to side?

After 2 days of playing around with my Launcher and getting everything set up I find that I am going to go back to the stock launcher. While I love what you can do with Nova, it is still a little buggy, at least I saw on my device. For example, this morning when I went into my app drawer, nothing appeared and I lagged INSANELY when going back to the home screen. Maybe it will get better over time but right now I am perfectly happy with the stock launcher.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I use Go Launcher EX (as I did on my Droid X running Gingerbread) and it has never given me any problems on ICS. I'd be willing to give Nova Launcher a shot, assuming I can do the following on Nova:

1) Can I use the following Droid Icon Pack (link below)? I absolutely hate colored icons and want uncolored versions of app icons only. This one has the best selection I've found.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidicon.launcherproicons&hl=en

2) Can I REPLACE the icons in the Dock at the bottom of each screen with any icon (or even photo) of my choice? Again, I absolutely hate colored icons and need to replace everything on the screen with their uncolored counterparts. GoLauncher EX achieves both of these easily.

I'm unrooted, stock 4.0.2.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I use Go Launcher EX (as I did on my Droid X running Gingerbread) and it has never given me any problems on ICS. I'd be willing to give Nova Launcher a shot, assuming I can do the following on Nova:

1) Can I use the following Droid Icon Pack (link below)? I absolutely hate colored icons and want uncolored versions of app icons only. This one has the best selection I've found.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidicon.launcherproicons&hl=en

2) Can I REPLACE the icons in the Dock at the bottom of each screen with any icon (or even photo) of my choice? Again, I absolutely hate colored icons and need to replace everything on the screen with their uncolored counterparts. GoLauncher EX achieves both of these easily.

I'm unrooted, stock 4.0.2.

Yes you can.. download Desktop Visualizer from the market and you can change the icons to whatever you want.

This is a screenshot of my homescreen dock with Nova... using ADW Icon App 1 pack from the market http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...reenshots-share-them-here-64.html#post1609512

Reactions: Dural

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

After 2 days of playing around with my Launcher and getting everything set up I find that I am going to go back to the stock launcher. While I love what you can do with Nova, it is still a little buggy, at least I saw on my device. For example, this morning when I went into my app drawer, nothing appeared and I lagged INSANELY when going back to the home screen. Maybe it will get better over time but right now I am perfectly happy with the stock launcher.

These are reasons I will stick with the stock launcher. I was tempted to try Nova but, I still like the stock launcher. I'm glad others are enjoying it. Some of the things you can do with Nova sound cool but, since I've manually updated to iCS 4.04, I like stock ICS even better.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
These are reasons I will stick with the stock launcher. I was tempted to try Nova but, I still like the stock launcher. I'm glad others are enjoying it. Some of the things you can do with Nova sound cool but, since I've manually updated to iCS 4.04, I like stock ICS even better.

I actually went back to using Nova to test if I could find why it lagged at least for me. So far the app drawer has been fine using a non Nova Prime transition between pages (using stock ICS transition I think called card deck). I like the stock transition anyway. For the home screen I noticed that it lagged when I was using HD Widgets on the main screen for the clock and weather. Went back to using Simi and I haven't had an issue with severe lag yet. My main time I saw lag was when I was on a call, exited the phone app and then all the apps took a second to appear but the widget on top took forever to load. Leads me to believe it. Ought have been the widget. I will test it out today and report back.

Edit: After a phone call that lasted about 20 minutes I ended the call like normal and hit the home button and apps and widget (Simi Clock) on main home screen took about 3 seconds to display. This is a little bit better than when I had the same apps and HD Widgets on the home. That took about 3 seconds to load the apps then another 2-3 seconds to load the HD Widget.

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using the beta that I side loaded weeks ago. I got an update for it over the weekend. It looks like they're still updating the beta, do I need to download the one from the market?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I got some lag when scrolling between home screens on 1.0.1, but NEVER had any lag at all on all of the betas. I've switched back to beta 15 for now...smooth as butter. Are others seeing the lag on the latest release?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Giving 1.0.2 beta1 a try now. I was running Prime and the Prime features apply to the beta version in case anyone is wondering.

Sent using Tapatalk

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with prime for the last 7 days and the minor lag issues dont bother me, however my battery life is noticeably worse. I didnt experience this with beta, anyone else notice battery life differences? Better or worse.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is so much smoother than on my Nexus S. Not noticing any more lag than stock or Trebuchet on the latest free version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is a related issue but since I started using Nova, my device has powered off and I was forced to do a battery pull to get it to power back on. Never happened to me using stock launcher so I will play around with stock for a while and see if it happens again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech