Overnight Battery life

merid

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have a Verizon galaxy nexus running codename android 1.3.2 /franco 13.1 i am consistently losing 20 to 30% of battery over night. I've checked to see that it's not losing 3g signal and no particular app is sucking the battery from what I can see. Using CPU Spy I can see that its running at 700mhz for close to 2 hours during the night. I use timeriffic to turn the sound off at night and turn off wifi also. I have my apps set to only update over wifi. all of the apps that i can think of are set to not sync when phone is in deep sleep. My exchange email is set to automatic(push) email however i havn't received any email over night.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The Android OS is keeping the phone awake. This is a bug that should be fixed in the next OTA. Or you can flash the leaked 4.0.4 OTA which fixes the OS keep awake issue.

If you dont want to flash the OTA, try changing the email setting from Push to every 2 hours or something longer. If you have a Wifi connection available at night you should leave it on. It will use less battery then just using your data connection.

Curious question, if you are turning almost everything off at night, why not just plug the phone in?

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Why turn off wifi unless you also turn off 3g data? Your phone will get better life hitting the wifi all night instead of the 3g data.

Also it sounds like you have at least two apps (CPUSpy and timeriffic) that are "background" apps that might be running and eating extra battery. I would reevaluate whether you really need these apps and mayby uninstall them and see if that does help.

Have you considered updating to a later franco kernel? He has made several improvements since 13.1.

I'm currently running Codename android 1.4.0 and Franco 18.4. I didn't take a screen shot, but when I was still on 18.2 I let it go overnight without charging and after 12 hours I was down to 88%.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the only reason to turn WiFi off is to prevent automatic updates of apps (which you can disable, it's useless to update apps every freaking day lol), and automatic upload of pix to Google+. WiFi doesn't run your battery down when you're out and about and you use less at home.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I turn off my data overnight. I'm sleeping, my stuff can get updated when I wake up and turn it back on. I usually lose about 8% over the 6 hours I'm sleeping. Or as others have said, use Wi-Fi if you need that stuff. Oh, and 4.0.4 is a vast improvement in many areas.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
def. use wifi when available even if it is updating your apps.

and i still dont see why people dont plug their phone in over night. i have done it since my OG droid days with no ill effects on batter life.

but FWIW, i am on AOKP with frankos 17.2 kernal and i loose about 3% per hour on 4g with everything auto syncing all the time.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
def. use wifi when available even if it is updating your apps.

and i still dont see why people dont plug their phone in over night. i have done it since my OG droid days with no ill effects on batter life.

but FWIW, i am on AOKP with frankos 17.2 kernal and i loose about 3% per hour on 4g with everything auto syncing all the time.

I plug my phone in every night also...is this not normal operating procedure? lol

I am on the leaked OTA and am seeing about 5-10% battery loss depending on how much I use the phone. That is with 4G on, everything auto sync/update. Only time I am on wifi is at home...and the battery gets even better on wifi.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
4.0.4 is supposed to fix the Android OS issue but if you play the AOSP game, the right kernel can stop the haywire problem. I'm using Lou's Defiant kernel and I can't begin to tell you how amazing it is. Superb battery life. His new version caps the max clock speed at 400 mHz when the screen is off. I barely lose 5% overnight with 8 hours of sleep. No lag whatsoever, default interactive governor, and I've tried 5 of the big name kernels. This is the best one. Check him out on Rootzwiki.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad