I was thinking of getting the nexus due to verizons sale today so I went to the local Verizon store to check it out. Anyways, the screen had a very bad yellow tint to it. When looking at Google.com the white screen was actually yellowish. The LG next to it was actually white and was brighter. Is this the norm for nexus screens or was this just a bad unit because if all the nexus screens are like that, I would rather stay with my thunderbolt.
    02-29-2012 04:35 PM
    I was thinking of getting the nexus due to verizons sale today so I went to the local Verizon store to check it out. Anyways, the screen had a very bad yellow tint to it. When looking at Google.com the white screen was actually yellowish. The LG next to it was actually white and was brighter. Is this the norm for nexus screens or was this just a bad unit because if all the nexus screens are like that, I would rather stay with my thunderbolt.
    I think you are looking at a bad unit. This screen is one of the best I have ever used. (my opinion)
    I Monarch likes this.
    02-29-2012 04:39 PM
    I think you are looking at a bad unit. This screen is one of the best I have ever used. (my opinion)
    When you go to Google.com does your screen look white or does it look yellowish/off white.
    02-29-2012 04:41 PM
    Brilliant white for me. Actually a slight blue white. Definitely not yellowish.
    02-29-2012 04:51 PM
    When you go to Google.com does your screen look white or does it look yellowish/off white.
    Its actually slightly blueish.
    02-29-2012 04:54 PM
    The screen is one of the highlights of this phone!
    02-29-2012 04:59 PM
    They did that on purpose to up the sales of the maxx
    chriscw81 likes this.
    02-29-2012 05:52 PM
    Samsung's newest premium models all have amazing displays. You were viewing a defective unit. This is by far the best Android phone I have ever owned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-29-2012 05:56 PM
    The screen is one of the highlights of this phone!
    My screen looks awesome, but I'll tell you what the real highlight of this phone is...there are a number of ROMs/kernels out for this device that will let you adjust the color it outputs. You can make it warmer (more yellow), cooler (more blue), more green, less green, more red, less red...any combo you want.

Developer support and the latest OS is what this phone is about. If you're not into that, I'd suggest getting whatever phone you like the feel and screen of the most. Then you can drive home from verizon and go start your "When is the ______ supposed to get ICS" thread.
    md308 likes this.
    02-29-2012 06:41 PM
    OMFG!!!! I now have 3 Galaxy Nexus phones at my house and 1 on the way Friday, because they are sending me the worst replacements! My original which pictured with one of the refurbished models produces perfect colors. The unbelievable BS I was just told by a cs rep at my local corporate store almost made me curse. Imagine my surprise when she told me there was a software update that "softened" the colors of all the displays. Unbelievable!!!
    02-29-2012 07:38 PM
    I think what you were witnessing is the automatic screen brightness adjuster. It's a bit too aggressive I think. If you had adjusted the brightness all the way up (which is the way display units should be set) you would have been pleased with the results.

Alternately, I love the battery life on this device partly in thanks to the aggressive screen brightness auto adjust.
    02-29-2012 07:47 PM
    Obviously that's not what I'm experiencing, but carry-on
    02-29-2012 08:45 PM
    @DubA

Sorry, I meant to direct that to the OP.

You are being bitten by the refurb bug. I still don't understand how they can replace a New product with a substandard one well within the warranty period.
    02-29-2012 08:54 PM
    I KNOW THIS REFURB CRAP IS INSANE! Sorry about the caps
    02-29-2012 09:27 PM
    I think what you were witnessing is the automatic screen brightness adjuster. It's a bit too aggressive I think. If you had adjusted the brightness all the way up (which is the way display units should be set) you would have been pleased with the results.

Alternately, I love the battery life on this device partly in thanks to the aggressive screen brightness auto adjust.
    No that's not the case. It was on full brightness when I first held it and I adjusted the brightness levels all the way to the lowest level and if had a yellow tint the entire time. Sounds like it was a defective phone. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger yet as I am sure the price will come down lower as new phones come out plus my thunderbolt is actually working great for me, have not had any real problens with it.
    02-29-2012 10:25 PM
    My opinion too.
    02-29-2012 11:47 PM
    When I had my G Nex...and compared it to my RAZR...they both had a blueish tint at 100% brightness. I figured that was normal for Amoled screens. I dont think yellow tint is tho. One cant really tell unless comparing it to a phone that has stark whites...like a Droid X1 or Rezound.

Seeing pics I see you just have to do the exchange merry go round to get a phone you can live with if its not what you want.
    03-02-2012 02:01 AM
    Crap when I compare mine to my Xoom my Nexus has a yellowish tint i had never noticed before. You think I can swap it out? Should I worry about my display long term?
    03-02-2012 02:32 AM
    a bluish tint is normal for AMOLED screens.
    when you put the AMOLED screens up next to a IPS LCD display, it is going to not have as white whites as that screen. but it should not be yellow.

this is the best screen i have ever seen on a mobile phone. sure the whites are not pure white, but the blacks are pure black, and not dark gray like LCD screens.

plus when you have the phone alone, not next to another phone, the whites look plenty white.
    jroc likes this.
    03-02-2012 08:58 AM
    This screen rocks. The auto brightness wants to conserve battery, but in bright sunlight on the golfcourse I can see the distances using the golf app no problem. I had to look at my HTC Incredible screen in the shade to see it.
    03-02-2012 11:29 AM
    My Nexus has a slight yellow/green tinge to it. Not noticeable on its own unless you compare it to something blueish white like an iPhone 4S or something.
    03-02-2012 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD