Quad Core

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You might not have noticed but i tend to keep my "stuff" (cars, phones, computers, TV's --- just threw out my 21 y/o RCA 36" Proscan) as long as feasible. Why spend money when you dont have to? What do you think i am, the Federal Government?

And it seems to me the current dual core phones are far from trouble free, so if i am going to have issues, might as well be with the newer stuff than the older stuff. I also wait a bunch of time before buying giving you guys with the expertise, desire and time to run interference for me and give the device a real go through.

Thank you for your input
David

Another thing to consider, is that google has proven that it will support their phones for at least two years. Other OEM's don't really have that kind of track record. Since you hold onto your devices as long as possible, this could be a pretty important point.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to consider, is that google has proven that it will support their phones for at least two years. Other OEM's don't really have that kind of track record. Since you hold onto your devices as long as possible, this could be a pretty important point.

Good point. I am not sure exactly,,, I thought Google bought Motorola Mobile so it can make devices under that name. Perhaps they will offer a quad core device shortly or the GN gets an update...?

My hope is that in 4- 6 months the devices Big Red offers will be more trouble free and more complete (ie, Goggle wallet, etc). It is my expectation that they will also be quad core for numerous reasons, hopefully most of them to their customers benefit.

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Excellent point. I would imagine that future padphones would be backwards compatible with the accessory hardware.

Love the concept, would love to see it in action.

I currently dont have a laptop. I have iPads. And the majority of my time is spent at my office or at home where i have desktops.

Thanks,
David

I wouldn't count on it. The current Transformer Prime tablet / keyboard dock isn't backwards compatible with last years Transformer keyboard dock. Motorola's phone / laptop fiasco didn't seem to last either. I would guess it would depend on sales and other things such as phones getting away from the current candybar design. New design = no compatibility.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't count on it. The current Transformer Prime tablet / keyboard dock isn't backwards compatible with last years Transformer keyboard dock. Motorola's phone / laptop fiasco didn't seem to last either. I would guess it would depend on sales and other things such as phones getting away from the current candybar design. New design = no compatibility.

I think tablet and laptop docks are always going to be specific to the phone because you would want the dock and phone to integrate well and fit together securely and different phone shapes would be hard to accommodate.

However, I think in two years or so, a standard for an inductive charger plate that also provides short range wireless HDMI connectivity is something that could be achieved.

Imagine a dock that is just a flat plate that you rest your phone on. While sitting on the plate, your phone is charged using inductive charging and a low power wireless HDMI signal would be sent from your phone to the plate which then delivers it via a wire to your monitor and speakers. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your desktop station could be used by any phone that supports the inductive charging and wireless HDMI, regardless of the size or shape of the phone.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think tablet and laptop docks are always going to be specific to the phone because you would want the dock and phone to integrate well and fit together securely and different phone shapes would be hard to accommodate.

However, I think in two years or so, a standard for an inductive charger plate that also provides short range wireless HDMI connectivity is something that could be achieved.

Imagine a dock that is just a flat plate that you rest your phone on. While sitting on the plate, your phone is charged using inductive charging and a low power wireless HDMI signal would be sent from your phone to the plate which then delivers it via a wire to your monitor and speakers. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your desktop station could be used by any phone that supports the inductive charging and wireless HDMI, regardless of the size or shape of the phone.

sounds great.

from my simple perspective, one device that could serve as a phone and a tablet would be perfect.

one day perhaps a interactive holographic display beamed from your cell phone?

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
sounds great.

from my simple perspective, one device that could serve as a phone and a tablet would be perfect.

one day perhaps a interactive holographic display beamed from your cell phone?

Well, a holographic display might be a ways off, but what I described could be created today if there was a market for it. Inductive chargers have been around for years. You can buy wireless HDMI transmitter/receivers today, but they are a bit pricey (between $200 and $600).

All that is needed is for someone to integrate the two together. All that requires is a market for the device. The first step will be just plugging an HDMI cable into the phone like you can already do with many phones. If using the phone as the computer becomes popular, then its just a small step to integrate an inductive charger with wireless HDMI.

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

I think Google needs to hire you.....or Motorola, Samsung, etc...Lol - Great Ideas!

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Excellent reply and thank you in advance.

I understand about your point re dual vs quad core. I will not get a droid without ICS and from the looks of it, the device makers will have a better shot at implementing ICS and utilizing it to its full capacity with a new device. It might be that most of the new devices over the near future will be quad core in any event. It also stand to reason that ICS will operate more efficiently given the extra cores. Dont know but currently there are no droids that are bowling me over. I peruse through this website and see problem after problem with all of the current devices and if i am going to have issues i would rather they be with the newest technology - best yet,,, will wait to see what the future holds.

David

Someone correct me here if i am wrong but since the Nexus is Goggles Dev phone most everything they develop in the near future, or till the next Nexus device, will be tailored for dual core phones since that is what the GNex is. So i would think that it would stand to reason that ICS may never be tailored for quad core phones.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me here if i am wrong but since the Nexus is Goggles Dev phone most everything they develop in the near future, or till the next Nexus device, will be tailored for dual core phones since that is what the GNex is. So i would think that it would stand to reason that ICS may never be tailored for quad core phones.

Interesting question or point. There were some videos from MWC that i thought showed quad core devices running ICS.

Anyhow,,, looks like the Samsung Galaxy S3 is coming out shortly... quad core device. I think the next few months we will be seeing a slew of quad core devices especially if the iPhone 5 is quad core.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Multi core support is already baked into Android, and has been for many years, since Android is Linux. The most anyone will have to do to support a quad core device is recompile everything with a different flag.

Reactions: jroc

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I did not mean to say that ICS would not run on quad core. Just that it would not be optimized to run on it since their dev phone is a dual core. Again i could be wrong but that's what i thought the Nexus line was for was to develop the new android software on.

progers

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I too was a Storm 1 user. It was a terrible phone before the os update, then it settled down a lot and I could use it pretty consistantly. It would still freeze up though. Since going to the android family (DroidX) this phone works everytime and is fast without dual core. I have 40 apps & games all work great. Wife got Gal Nex at Christmas and loves it. Even got google wallet working on verizon phone. The guy was right about moving from a Storm 1 to Galaxy Nexus. You will change over into another world. Just DO IT DUDE. I got on my bro/laws iphone at christmas and after you have had a droid for a year, that phone was so boring. It works good and is a nice phone, but you cannot change anything. For people who don't want to change stuff around etc. it's great. But droid is where you want to go IMO. :D

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I too was a Storm 1 user. It was a terrible phone before the os update, then it settled down a lot and I could use it pretty consistantly. It would still freeze up though. Since going to the android family (DroidX) this phone works everytime and is fast without dual core. I have 40 apps & games all work great. Wife got Gal Nex at Christmas and loves it. Even got google wallet working on verizon phone. The guy was right about moving from a Storm 1 to Galaxy Nexus. You will change over into another world. Just DO IT DUDE. I got on my bro/laws iphone at christmas and after you have had a droid for a year, that phone was so boring. It works good and is a nice phone, but you cannot change anything. For people who don't want to change stuff around etc. it's great. But droid is where you want to go IMO. :D

Appreciate your insight, and trust me I am going droid. My current thinking is that we are only a few short months away from the first bunch of quad core droids - by the summer time for sure. I have lived with the Storm 1 since the first day it came out, I can handle a few more months. If i see the quad cores are not coming out till next year, i will head for the GN.

I was very encouraged by the Samsung Galaxy S3 rumors of impending release next month in Europe and hopefully shortly to the US thereafter.

Interesting, of the 6 people in my family, we have gone from all six of us carrying blackberries to:
2 iPhones (4 and 4S)
2 Droids (Thunderbolt and Bionic)
2 BB's (Storm 1 and Curve)

Thank you again for your time.

David

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I am in the just get the GN now camp. ICS was optimized for dual core, so quad core may not give you the major jump you are looking to get. Also, by the time the quads a here, there will be a lot of news that Jelly Bean is right around the corner, which may be optimized for quad core. You may find yourself waiting until deep inQ4 for those. That of course puts you in the same position you were in only a couple months ago.

Eventually you are just going to have to decide when you are going to jump. Like many here I had the Storms, and I cannot tell you how happy I am to be rid of mine. I feel confident that I will get a good 2 years out of my GN before I have to get something new.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for the latest and greatest of new anything in the tech world is an endless wait. We already know about quad core and all the goodies that will come with the phones coming out in the next few months. But as those phones actually start coming out we will hear all about the next generation of new phones in development(with jelly bean, twice the memory, wireless hmdi, 8 cores, inductive charging, 3D projector, dual boot 2 OS's, etc.)... if you wait for the newest you won't ever get a new device. In the tech world everything is out of date before it is even on the store shelf for the first time. Make the leap when you are ready, but you gotta make the leap at some point. I recommend waiting until a few more devices come out with ICS already installed and seeing how they compare with each other in the real world(not just the specs and numbers world).

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
People should keep in mind that going from dual to quad is far from a doubling in power; 99% of apps will never take advantage of it; and it will take more battery to run. There are always tradeoffs.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think if Tegra 3 and that 5th core claims hold up.....quad core phones shouldnt be overlooked.

I have a dual core phone...and other than the performance and overall experience being better than my single core phone...I dont do anything on it that takes full advantage of dual core. And part of the better experience might be the 1GB of ram. Maybe multi tasking being better too. Shouldn't that be even better on quad core?

I know when quad core first hit PC's...I was just getting into the dual core arena. Quad core on PC's finally have better heat and power output that I will be getting one soon.

I think as more things like Webtop with Moto phones come out...more cores might help. I think we need to see more RAM tho. As long as it doesnt effect battery life. Or more massive batteries like whats in the RAZR Maxx.

And I agree 100% about waiting for the latest n greatest...thats why I have a family plan now with 3 lines...lol. I can chase the latest n greatest forever this way. And IIRC...from an article early last year ..Froyo was able to take advantage of dual core chips. If thats the case...going to more cores could immediately see a difference all things being equal. Mainly apps needing to be developed to take advantage of the extra cores. Like it is in the PC world.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...gra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/7

So IMO when going from single core to dual core to quad core...the app developers need to keep up, update apps to take advantage of it. Perfect example is Quadrant finally taking advantage, being optimized, updated for dual cores recently. Dual core on Android phones has been out since Jan 2011...

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Aren't dual core, quad core etc. Meaningless until app developers start designing apps that use both cores?

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke