Razr vs GN question

otew257

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a few more device upgrades on my account and I would like to try the GN . I am currently using a Razr that I would love to give to my daughter .. but I see lots of complaints about the GN signal quality in this forum so I am worried that i will lose signal quality if I switch from razr to GN ...any thoughts ?? has this issue been worked out or was it overblown to begin with ??

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a few more device upgrades on my account and I would like to try the GN . I am currently using a Razr that I would love to give to my daughter .. but I see lots of complaints about the GN signal quality in this forum so I am worried that i will lose signal quality if I switch from razr to GN ...any thoughts ?? has this issue been worked out or was it overblown to begin with ??

(1) General Rule of the Internet - those that speak the loudest are really the fewest

(2) Some have it, some don't. Is it a deal breaker? Hasn't affected me much at all, but there are differences between "radio" versions from my very inexperienced eye. I'm sure those who have had problems will chime in and offer a different experience. Consider both!

(3) They're the two best Android devices out now. Can't go wrong with either. Each has positives/negatives. Up to your tastes.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would say that it has been overblown a bit. I have had the GN since launch day and I can't complain about signal quality. Yes when I had a Droid Bionic I noticed I was getting slightly stronger signal but you have to take into the manufacturer. Motorola usually makes the best reception phones because of the radios they produce. Samsung is no slouch either but Motorola holds so many patents and got their roots in signal radios. Yes you might see a difference in signal strength but nothing too crazy.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
When I look at the number of bars on my GN as compaired to my old Bionic it appears the GN has less of a signal. However after using my GN for several months now, the connection seems to be the same with no negative affects of showing less bars.

This is MY experience, yours may be different.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Compared to my older Bionic my GN reports a weaker signal but I have yet to notice any other difference. I have never dropped a call on my GN.

JustinTiburon#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had one since launch my first apartment sucked I couldn't get 4g to save my life. My apartment I'm im in now is perfect full bars 4g never an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's overblown at all. There are a lot of people having signal issues, lots of people have tried several different phones, there are reports on various websites and some Verizon employees admit it's a know issue.
It's the reason people started installing alternate radio versions.

I personally have had no signal problems but I can't ignore that it is a big problem for many others.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
When I look at the number of bars on my GN as compaired to my old Bionic it appears the GN has less of a signal. However after using my GN for several months now, the connection seems to be the same with no negative affects of showing less bars.

This is MY experience, yours may be different.

First off, agree with creccaj regarding Moto's radios. Also, this has been covered in some detail on review sites around the web. I did a quick search and didn't find the article but one review showed the Razr with 4 bars, the GNex with 1 bar...but both had nearly the same -dBm in actual signal strength. It was speculated that Verizon has asked Google to "fix" ICS to report higher bars to their liking (beyond the actual 4.04/5 patch to improve signal quality and/or handoff between radios). I've never dropped a call since release, but I did read another post were a guy lost connection at a certain spot close to a LTE tower, and so have I at that spot, and not ever where I live in Philly and the surrounding area. So I assume there's Verizon's towers to blame in some cases, rather than the device.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's overblown at all. There are a lot of people having signal issues, lots of people have tried several different phones, there are reports on various websites and some Verizon employees admit it's a know issue.
It's the reason people started installing alternate radio versions.

I personally have had no signal problems but I can't ignore that it is a big problem for many others.

Exactly, but the fact that so many have noticed huge improvements on the leaked 4.0.4 radios only proves it's a software issue, which is "easily' fixed, rather than a hardware issue as many were assuming.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, but the fact that so many have noticed huge improvements on the leaked 4.0.4 radios only proves it's a software issue, which is "easily' fixed, rather than a hardware issue as many were assuming.

To me it isn't proof at all because I've read multiple times of people installing the new radio with zero improvement.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
In weak 4G areas, the GNex is not as good as the Razr in grabbing and holding a 4G signal.

I would wait until we get the OTA update before buying a GNex. It should happen this month.

You have 2 weeks to exchange the GNex for the Razr but I would wait for the OTA so you can see how that affects the device in case it improves it.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any problems. I had Sprint(Samsung Epic) just before I switch over. My apartment was very spotty in areas I would get signals(voice/data). Data did not matter as I was on Wifi but even other areas around my complex I would get no signal. The Verizon network is way better and I have not had any issues with signal on my GN. Phone seems to not have any issues with any voice/data signals.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The GNex has some issues grabbing a 4G signal in weak 4G areas. The 4.0.4 radios fixed this problem for me. The GNex shows the bars and signal strength for 4G, and not 3G like the other 4G phones do. That is why there is a difference unless you turn 4G off. As far as call signal, I've never had a single dropped call.

So, overall, I'de say it's overblown, but there are reports of people have dropped calls, so it should be considered. I have the GNex, my wife has the RAZR, they are both great devices and you will probably be happy either way. Unless, flashing ROMS and custom kernels is important to you. Then you should definitely get the GNex.

ems12a

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the GN a week ago. I got a bad handset the first time around. I couldn't hold a signal 4g or Voice for more than 1 min. I called Tech support talked to a nice lady in Tier 2 support. She could see my phone connect and disconnect from the network. She authorized a phone swap.

Haven't had a problem sense. Phone is great signal is good and strong.

It's a fantastic phone one of the best I have ever owned.

jakeh0

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
the only problem i see is when i move from a 4g to a 3g area, it takes a while to switch off to 3g especially if you return back into a 4g area pretty quickly

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
the only problem i see is when i move from a 4g to a 3g area, it takes a while to switch off to 3g especially if you return back into a 4g area pretty quickly

that is the main issues that the 4.0.4 radios seem to fix. The transition is much faster now.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
To me it isn't proof at all because I've read multiple times of people installing the new radio with zero improvement.

Fair enough. I've seen a lot more positive posts regarding 4.0.4 radios and everyone knows the internet is usually where one goes to look for help and/or complain rather than sing praises. There's a lot of variables to think about, not the least of which is where you live. I'd be willing to bet most people with "zero" radio issues are in or near a major metro area, like myself. Living in the boonies you'll likely quickly notice any signal quality change whether it's positive or negative. If possible, I'd like to see if signal quality/hand off diminishes on a rooted Razor with a 4.0.2 build.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The nexus line ensures my phone will be relevant for more than 6 months

I understand but dislike Motorola's strategy of releasing a new razr variant every two months

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am on my third nexus.
First one screen went first week owning it. wouldn't respond to touches.
The next two the signal is pathetic. Second one was rooted running codename with the 4.04 radios.
Current one is rooted but stock 4.02.
No difference other than transitioning from 4g to 3g.
I am 2 miles from the 4g tower in the Lehigh Valley and am getting 2 bars 4g then no signal.

It's hit or miss but it is a real problem that does exist and I am not in the minority.