New phone, keeps losing data connection

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
So my 5 day old Verizon Galaxy Nexus has been excellent so far, except that it frequently loses its data connection. It'll be going along fine, then I'll look and notice there's no data, and I can't access web pages or get e-mail. Seems to be random, whether or not I have a good signal. It'll usually come back after some time (hours maybe), but this morning I restarted the phone and got it back that way.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? On my old Incredible (not ICS obviously) there was an option to leave Mobile Data always on, but ICS doesn't seem to have that option... does it?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So my 5 day old Verizon Galaxy Nexus has been excellent so far, except that it frequently loses its data connection. It'll be going along fine, then I'll look and notice there's no data, and I can't access web pages or get e-mail. Seems to be random, whether or not I have a good signal. It'll usually come back after some time (hours maybe), but this morning I restarted the phone and got it back that way.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? On my old Incredible (not ICS obviously) there was an option to leave Mobile Data always on, but ICS doesn't seem to have that option... does it?

It does, "Settings > Data Usage> Mobile Data slider".

That's not why you are having these issues though, this is a known issue with this phone and version of ICS it is currently using (4.0.2). Search through the forums and u will come up with about 2 dozen (at least) threads about this.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am having this issue even more now and I am on 4.04
Should have left well enough alone and stuck it out on 4.02 because it happened less (for me anyway)

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the Galaxy Nexus experience! You'll find you're among many who experience this same issue with this phone. Verizon says this is a known issue and an update would be out to fix it. Verizon told me late January, when I was having my issues, but the rumor around here is that the update will be out in March sometime. Until then you have to live with it or take the phone back for another device.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I am having this issue even more now and I am on 4.04
Should have left well enough alone and stuck it out on 4.02 because it happened less (for me anyway)

Yep, I actually unrooted and went back to stock in preparation to return my phone, but I've had data drop only twice that I recall on 4.0.2, but it hasn't been quite two days yet. I'm still planning on getting a replacement, but it's much less of an issue, now.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... I figured if it was such a big issue there would be a sticky! I will likely root, but my absolute favorite ROM is Cyanogen, and as far as I know theres no official version yet, right? I love this phone so far though, so I can certainly wait for a software update. Its a pesky annoyance, though.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Of course, I'm now noticing this volume issue now, too.

I gotta say, this phone's been out for 3 months, and they still haven't addressed these issues? Kinda discouraging. Maybe the 3g/4g and volume things can't be fixed with software? I have another 8 days to decide on keeping this thing... Definitely not 100% at this point. Great phone for the most part, but if I'm going to have it for 2 years, I want to know it's going to be a rockstar! Hell, my Incredible didn't have these problems!

tonycannoli

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
So this is my first post here. I'm a WebOS user myself but trying to figure out which Android phone to upgrade to.

Anyway...

I talked my wife into a Galaxy Nexus and we left the Verizon store happy. Within 2 hours her phone lost all data (not even 3G icon showing up and that's all the would since we're in a non 4g area). Well, she was on the phone with VZW tech and he said "we're having issues with this phone, there's supposed to be an update" Now I don't know if that's just some tech's opinion or what but all I know is I've never seen a phone just lose all data for over an hour. Anyway, it went back to VZW store today. I know the majority of people are happy with the Nexus and have no problems but it seems there is a small minority who have legit problems with this phone's data reception.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair