Buy a Galaxy Nexus or wait? Need Opinions

getchel21

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Alright so I always come here looking for help (and almost always find it) but finally decided to make my own post. Here's the deal: my Droid X is up for replacement (finally) on April 25th. I was, at first, looking at both the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr Maxx, but I've decided I can't have another phone that's the same as my DX, only with a few tweaks; I need a huge change to re-spark my interest. So Galaxy Nexus it is. Now my predicament. Do I jump on the Galaxy Nexus train in April, or do I wait for a quad core phone which should make every current phone seem dated. I don't want to buy something only to have someone else come in a month later that will make me regret not waiting. The other issue is that there hasn't been much announced for Verizon in the coming months AND the Nexus is still an awesome phone, quad core or not.

If you had a DX and could replace it in 2 months, what would YOU do?

Thanks in advance, all my friends have iPhones so their opinions mean nothing to me.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For me, the GNex has been an all around solid device and it's definitely something that I can see myself keeping until my next upgrade. For the first time ever, I don't have the urge or desire to buy a new smartphone after watching MWC coverage. :confused: Quad cores? Doesn't even phase me.

But if you got time and patience to wait, then why not wait to see what the offerings are like in the next few months? I go about deciding on a phone to buy when my upgrade is actually available, and then buy the best one that's currently out. You can keep waiting for the "next best thing", but as we all know in this business, the "next best thing" will be just around the corner and then you'll be sitting on your upgrade forever.

So if it were me...I'd wait and see. If nothing amazing is released or confirmed by upgrade time, then I'd go with the Galaxy Nexus. I don't think you'll be disappointed (especially when it comes time to upgrade to Jelly Bean!).

Reactions: getchel21

getchel21

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

Definitely not waiting for the next best thing, because every month a new "best thing" is released. I've been on the fence about quad cores because honestly, I think the more cores and everything else that's added, the further it is from being what it is at it's core: a phone. Dual cores are enough for my PC, I think it should be plenty for my phone. If I want a powerhouse device, I'll look for it everywhere but my phone.

With the G-Nex, how does it handle games? Outside of being a phone that I use to email, text, and call, I mostly use it for time-killing games (preferably graphically enhanced ones) and as a remote desktop to my PC (with 3G is like stabbing myself over and over, it's so painfully slow).

From what I've seen there's not been one bad review for the G-Nex, and the only thing I was "nervous" about was the camera, but I've already seen it outperform most 8MP. Even when other phones get upgraded to ICS, MP arent everything, it's also extremely hardware based.

I appreciate the informative response and I think barring something amazing being announced within the next month, I'll stick with the G-Nex.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

With the G-Nex, how does it handle games? Outside of being a phone that I use to email, text, and call, I mostly use it for time-killing games (preferably graphically enhanced ones) and as a remote desktop to my PC (with 3G is like stabbing myself over and over, it's so painfully slow).

From what I've seen there's not been one bad review for the G-Nex, and the only thing I was "nervous" about was the camera, but I've already seen it outperform most 8MP. Even when other phones get upgraded to ICS, MP arent everything, it's also extremely hardware based.

I appreciate the informative response and I think barring something amazing being announced within the next month, I'll stick with the G-Nex.

I don't play too many games on my phone, not especially graphically intensive ones. But from what I've seen and heard, it should run them pretty well:
Gaming on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - YouTube

As far as the camera is concerned, it does okay. In all honesty it could be better but as you say, there's far worse out there (*ahem* any moto device ever). It really wouldn't replace my point and shoot Canon for the more important things like vacations/birthdays but it's definitely capable for those quick snapshot moments.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is go for the Nexus because, well, it's a Nexus. People agree that even when the dual-core phones were coming out, the Nexus S was still faster and more reliable because it was stock Android. Same will go for the Galaxy Nexus. It is stock ICS and not skinned like the HTC and Moto phones will be. Nothing beats pure Android in my opinion.

Reactions: getchel21

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the NExus yesterday. Coming from an iPhone 4s I'm very satisfied. The device is just screaming "customize me". I love that. I love the display and form factor. Call quality seems pretty good too. Now no phone is perfect and forums will express the majority of negative opinions. I do like the low signal strength. Though I'm confident this will be addressed soon. ICS could use some polishing up too. Other than that, its a great device. Just get it!! :D

getchel21

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is a post already started about the quad core question you may want to check out that may help you decide.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/159186-quad-core.html

Thanks, I'll check that out. Could use some light reading at work.

As far as the camera is concerned, it does okay. In all honesty it could be better but as you say, there's far worse out there (*ahem* any moto device ever). It really wouldn't replace my point and shoot Canon for the more important things like vacations/birthdays but it's definitely capable for those quick snapshot moments.

Well said, my DX camera kind of sucks, when it works. And I rarely use it, there's hardly ever a moment that I don't either plan to have a REAL camera or care about quality.

getchel21

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't play too many games on my phone, not especially graphically intensive ones. But from what I've seen and heard, it should run them pretty well:
Gaming on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - YouTube

The last question I would have is battery life. Obviously being LTE, it naturally is not superb. But right now, even my DX has low battery life, so I would assume in comparison it would at least be equal, although hopefully not less, given the bigger, more vibrant screen.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't do games, but IF I did I might take a look at the 5.6" Samsung Galaxy offering that just came out (I forget the name, but it's bigger for sure). It might be like a ham sandwich when you hold it to your ear but the bigger screen might make games better. My gut feeling is the Quadcore thing will only turn on the geeks. My battery life is the same as my HTC Incredible.

getchel21

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't do games, but IF I did I might take a look at the 5.6" Samsung Galaxy offering that just came out (I forget the name, but it's bigger for sure). It might be like a ham sandwich when you hold it to your ear but the bigger screen might make games better. My gut feeling is the Quadcore thing will only turn on the geeks. My battery life is the same as my HTC Incredible.

"Gaming" (loose term since it's a phone) is fine on my DX screen, which is slightly smaller, but performance wise it isn't good. Everything is choppy and slow. I assume since the specs are pretty much doubled with the G-Nex, it'll be much better.

Yeah I don't need a need a ham sandwich phone. And I think what you're referring to is the Galaxy Note, which isn't on Verizon. I'm pretty much 100% sold on the Nexus.

And I'm a network administrator so I'm definitely the kind of geek that gets excited about quad cores, but then I really need to remember that it's probably going to be like the camera conversation. More doesn't necessarily mean better, especially if there's a loader added on top, as well as tons of bloatware. So overall I think quad core phones might be cool in a year, but right now I think I've read enoguh to stick with the G-Nex. Again, unless something blows me away in the next 2 months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary