Low RAM at times = choppy performance

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know that in general Android is supposed to handle running apps so that there is always plenty of RAM to run the UI smoothly. But . . .

Lately (with more and more apps installed and running) there are many times I start to get lag and slow redraws of home pages, etc. I go check the RAM (settings - apps- running) and every time these symptoms exist, the RAM is down under 100 mb. Usually it is up closer to 200 mb, and all runs smooth. The two always go together, low RAM and poor UI performance. I suspect that Android is not doing a good enough job killing off apps when needed. I am not about to install a task killer since my experience is that it does more harm than good.

Does anyone else have this problem? What is your normal amount of free RAM?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I know that in general Android is supposed to handle running apps so that there is always plenty of RAM to run the UI smoothly. But . . .

Lately (with more and more apps installed and running) there are many times I start to get lag and slow redraws of home pages, etc. I go check the RAM (settings - apps- running) and every time these symptoms exist, the RAM is down under 100 mb. Usually it is up closer to 200 mb, and all runs smooth. The two always go together, low RAM and poor UI performance. I suspect that Android is not doing a good enough job killing off apps when needed. I am not about to install a task killer since my experience is that it does more harm than good.

Does anyone else have this problem? What is your normal amount of free RAM?

I think the experience is more likely that you have way too many things starting up and running in the background that you arent aware of. How's your battery life? If you are having problems like that I cant imagine its very good.

Try restricting data access to all apps except apps that you use regularly for starters.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
You can try going to the developer settings and limiting the amount of background processes. I did this and limited to 4 and now I usually have about 350mb of RAM free.

Reactions: sicario666

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Blayze, I am going to try this and see what happens. I wish there was an option for more than four, since I usually have about 12 and I think 6 or 7 would be better. In addition to the essential system stuff on the list, use Swiftkey, Google Voice and a few others that I DO need on, I just don't want Rdio, ESPN Scorecenter, Words With Friends, etc, running as well. But I will try it and see how it goes!

Edit: OK, I set it to 4, waited a while, and all of the apps were still there. So, I killed off a few that I really don't need (and use up a lot of RAM), and I will see whether they come back (as they have been doing). But there are still a lot more than four running. How and when does it limit it to four? And which four does it choose?

Edit 2: Now all of the old running apps are back, setting it to a limit of 4 didn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:

fionn88

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be running into a similar problem with RAM and choppiness. Whenever I clear the RAM cache (which is pretty frequently to deal with choppiness), I'm always surprised at how many processes it says it closed (up to 22!). Once in a while, my RAM usage will be in the 300s, and my tab runs great then, but it's usually using somewhere between 500-600MB, and I can't seem to figure out where the draw on RAM is coming from. Any ideas?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You can try going to the developer settings and limiting the amount of background processes. I did this and limited to 4 and now I usually have about 350mb of RAM free.

gonna see if this helps me out as well. I think 4 running is more than enough to multitask. Normally 2 is fine.

Dropped from Liquid Nexus via Tapatalk2