Who got unlimited data by adding the MHS feature?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I signed up yesterday and was able to do this. First rep said no but the second one added and even said this is better because it will give me unlimited data. I also read on here that Verizon called Nexus users which made me think they can see everything. Anyway, is there anyone who recently signed up with Verizon who did this? I didn't remove the mobile hotspot feature yet. Was going to wait a day or two into my next billing cycle?

Is it likely Verizon will remove this unlimited data plan from my account as I didn't sign up for it? Just wondering. I'm kind of being paranoid about it and keep checking My Verizon to make sure its still there.

Last edited:

JustinTiburon#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon can do what they want but if they ever do just complain and you will get it back. I doubt they will take it from you if they gave it to you though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who got unlimited data by adding the MSP feature?

this is a great loop hole. i was grandfathered in with unlimited but this is an awesome option for heavy data users.

enjoy it while it lasts before Verizon goes to either (throttle) or (discontinue unlimited service altogether). hate to say it but judging from what's been happening with the other carriers, it looks like this is inevitable.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Its inevitable because of the lack of spectrum. The more users that go to smartphones and need data the less bandwidth all the carriers have. With their current network set up there is not enough space for everyone. If the entire country went to smartphones we would be way in the negative on spectrum until they come up with better ways/tech to handle everyone.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

My normal usage is 2-3GB so I hardly doubt that's going to take all their bandwidth. I thought LTE was suppose to solve bandwidth issues?

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

My normal usage is 2-3GB so I hardly doubt that's going to take all their bandwidth. I thought LTE was suppose to solve bandwidth issues?

I'm not exactly sure on this, but LTE is really fast which in turn using more bandwith :O. And look how many people in the US have LTE Verizon phones.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Its inevitable because of the lack of spectrum. The more users that go to smartphones and need data the less bandwidth all the carriers have. With their current network set up there is not enough space for everyone. If the entire country went to smartphones we would be way in the negative on spectrum until they come up with better ways/tech to handle everyone.

That should be VZWs problem, not ours. They should not be marketing a product, or products if they are unable to support the demands.

I personally believe it is a crock.

It will be interesting to see how many people start filing small claims suits against these companies. Especially those that are throttling back unlimited customers.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not exactly sure on this, but LTE is really fast which in turn using more bandwith :O. And look how many people in the US have LTE Verizon phones.

Bandwidth is practically unlimited. Its spectrum that is in a crunch. And LTE is WAY more efficient at bandwidth use than CDMA 3G and even 1x 2G. If Verizon was TRULY in a spectrum crunch, they should give everyone stuck on a 2G phone a free upgrade to a 3G basic phone of smartphone and shut off the 2G network. Fact is, there is no spectrum crunch on Verizon or ATT. ATT has tons warehoused and Verizon is pretty efficient at using theirs. I mean Sprint isn't complaining and they have the WORST spectrum possible-and their best is used up by the friggin Nextel network. Wimax is on 2.5 GHZ lmao.

This is totally untrue since bandwidth is recycled at the tower level. The bands of spectrum give service to your phone at one tower, then when its switches towers it uses slightly different spectrum. Then the next tower after that is recycles spectrum and use the same spectrum the 1st tower I mentioned was using. Spectrum crunch is at the tower level. If a tower is overloaded, put more up in that area, or offload to Wifi (like ATT does in NYC)

beerhound

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Bandwidth is practically unlimited. Its spectrum that is in a crunch. And LTE is WAY more efficient at bandwidth use than CDMA 3G and even 1x 2G. If Verizon was TRULY in a spectrum crunch, they should give everyone stuck on a 2G phone a free upgrade to a 3G basic phone of smartphone and shut off the 2G network. Fact is, there is no spectrum crunch on Verizon or ATT. ATT has tons warehoused and Verizon is pretty efficient at using theirs. I mean Sprint isn't complaining and they have the WORST spectrum possible-and their best is used up by the friggin Nextel network. Wimax is on 2.5 GHZ lmao.

CNN disagrees with you:

Spectrum Crunch: The cell phone industry hits its limits - Feb. 21, 2012

FTA:

Wireless spectrum -- the invisible infrastructure over which all wireless transmissions travel -- is a finite resource. When, exactly, we'll hit the wall is the subject of intense debate, but almost everyone in the industry agrees that a crunch is coming.

The U.S. still has a slight spectrum surplus. But at the current growth rate, the surplus turns into a deficit as early as next year, according to the Federal Communications Commission's estimates.

"Network traffic is increasing," says an official at the FCC's wireless bureau. "[Carriers] can manage it for the next couple years, but demand is inevitably going to exceed the available spectrum."

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I dont really know about the bandwidth question - but you have to figure, financially, the carriers really just want more money - throttle data = get people to pay for faster speeds | eliminate unlimited data = get people to pay for overages or more expensive data plans.

that's the only reason i said it looks inevitable.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That should be VZWs problem, not ours. They should not be marketing a product, or products if they are unable to support the demands.

I personally believe it is a crock.

It will be interesting to see how many people start filing small claims suits against these companies. Especially those that are throttling back unlimited customers.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

They aren't marketing unlimited. And you can't take them to small claims because your contract forbids it. (It also allows, in case you missed it, them to throttle unlimited users for network management purposes. They also announced that they would throttle, so its not like users didn't know )

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

if vzw ever starts throttling or taking away unlimited I will just go back to a regular phone, I love having a smart phone and do use it but I dont NEED it and could adjust and live without if I wanted.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I am sure they will throttle 4G LTE eventually but hopefully it will be the same as their 3G policy. I can live with throttling being on a congested tower versus AT&T's throttling the entire month.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

So for those of us who have had the unlimited data plan for the last 2 years...when we upgrade phones are we going to lose that?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

if vzw ever starts throttling or taking away unlimited I will just go back to a regular phone, I love having a smart phone and do use it but I dont NEED it and could adjust and live without if I wanted.

They already throttle 3G phones that are using too much data on congested towers. But, unlike AT&T, their throttling is on a sliding scale that moves up and down depending on how much data all users use monthly.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

And you can't take them to small claims because your contract forbids it.

arbitration clauses don't always work. it really depends on what the contract says and the manner/ambiguities of the circumstances surrounding their terms.

+1 for law school.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis