Anyone concerned about LTE speeds once iPhone 5 hits?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I certainly am. I've only had my Galaxy Nexus for 3 days and have gotten blazing speeds toping out at nearly 40mbps. Coming from AT&T I can feel the load taken off my feet, if that makes sense. I'm thinking that once the LTE iPhone hits all of us Android LTE users are going to see decreased speeds. Maybe not right away but eventually? At school everyone and their mother has an iPhone. I was actually glad to get rid of mine and be different. Hopefully I'm wrong about this speculation and in time LTE speeds will only increase?

http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/10066-verizon-4g-lte-ipad-3-iphone-5

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I certainly am. I've only had my Galaxy Nexus for 3 days and have gotten blazing speeds toping out at nearly 40mbps. Coming from AT&T I can feel the load taken off my feet, if that makes sense. I'm thinking that once the LTE iPhone hits all of us Android LTE users are going to see decreased speeds. Maybe not right away but eventually? At school everyone and their mother has an iPhone. I was actually glad to get rid of mine and be different. Hopefully I'm wrong about this speculation and in time LTE speeds will only increase?

http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/10066-verizon-4g-lte-ipad-3-iphone-5

I'm sure there will be some speed decreases, its just like a home network, the more things you have connected to it the slower it becomes. Im not sure it would actually be noticeable though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually looking forward to it. iPhone releases tend to drive network improvements, so maybe in the months before the LTE iPhone comes out we will see faster expansion of LTE into more areas and on to more towers in current areas. Maybe I am just being overly optimistic?

Reactions: carracerz14

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually looking forward to it. iPhone releases tend to drive network improvements, so maybe in the months before the LTE iPhone comes out we will see faster expansion of LTE into more areas and on to more towers in current areas. Maybe I am just being overly optimistic?

That's a good point. Didn't think of that.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
They are already expanding their 4G network at a rapid pace. I believe they said it should be all over the country in 2013.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not worried. From the report a week ago, it was stated that only 5% of customers are using the LTE network. I have read the reports on a few sites and I cannot find out if this is 5% of Verizon customers (which is what it seems to state) of 5% of people with LTE phones using the network. From my experience reading the posts on these boards, it seems that most people who have an LTE phone typically turn off 4G to save battery life unless they absolutely need the extra speed.
I am sure Verizon is FAR away from reaching the threshold level any time soon.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
have gotten blazing speeds toping out at nearly 40mbps

Then you can't complain about LTE. It's in the Terms and Conditions of your contract.

You may only start complaining when:

A) Speed Test doesn't automatically pin all the way to the right, or
B) when you get slower speeds on LTE than on your home wi-fi, or
C) when you find an application that actually requires your full LTE bandwidth

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Not just the iPhone, but EVERY LTE phone will hurt the network. There are a very small minority of people actually regularly using LTE right now. These crazy LTE speeds aren't going to stay this high once Verizon no longer sells 3G phones. They've already said they're no longer going to sell a phone that doesn't support LTE.

Thing is iPhone users don't actually use as much data as Android users. You should be worried about larger Android devices launching on Verizon.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Not just the iPhone, but EVERY LTE phone will hurt the network. There are a very small minority of people actually regularly using LTE right now. These crazy LTE speeds aren't going to stay this high once Verizon no longer sells 3G phones. They've already said they're no longer going to sell a phone that doesn't support LTE.

Thing is iPhone users don't actually use as much data as Android users. You should be worried about larger Android devices launching on Verizon.

Well usually when a high powered Android device hits a small minority goes nuts over it, however, when a new iPhone hits, OMG everyone has to have it and they sell millions in 2 days. Look at the 4s. Practically the same phone as the 4 and it still nearly sold out.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well usually when a high powered Android device hits a small minority goes nuts over it, however, when a new iPhone hits, OMG everyone has to have it and they sell millions in 2 days. Look at the 4s. Practically the same phone as the 4 and it still nearly sold out.

But Verizon still sells millions of Android phones. I'm not talking about specific Android models, I'm talking about the combination of a few dozen Android phones all running on LTE.

Yes if the iPhone 5 has LTE then it will be a huge influx of LTE devices on Verizon all at once. But this will happen either way, whether the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S is the one to bring LTE to Verizon.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
But Verizon still sells millions of Android phones. I'm not talking about specific Android models, I'm talking about the combination of a few dozen Android phones all running on LTE.

Yes if the iPhone 5 has LTE then it will be a huge influx of LTE devices on Verizon all at once. But this will happen either way, whether the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S is the one to bring LTE to Verizon.

Which is exactly what I am saying. I am hoping this won't bog down the amazing LTE network. Hopefully they do what the other guy on here said and that's prepare the network for it.

I just don't get why everyone goes nuts over the iPhone. I am really sick of seeing every single person with one.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Which is exactly what I am saying. I am hoping this won't bog down the amazing LTE network. Hopefully they do what the other guy on here said and that's prepare the network for it.

My point is the LTE network will get saturated and slow whether the iPhone is on board with LTE or not. No one knows exactly what will happen when Verizon starts having a majority of customers on LTE, starts VoLTE, or shuts of 3G, but I can tell you it won't mean faster LTE speeds.

I just don't get why everyone goes nuts over the iPhone. I am really sick of seeing every single person with one.

Because its a great device. Love or hate Apple you know its an awesome device, you just won't admit it lol. Sure its overhyped etc. but these people aren't buying a s***ty phone when they get an iPhone. Someone could offer me a free iPhone I'd take it. If I was forced to use one (for work, etc.) I would have no problem with it. I just prefer Android and buy Android devices when given a choice.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
iPhones are totally overrated in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed my 4s but I didn't like how I was extremely limited it was. I just hate Apple fanboys. Stay far away from MacRumors. Anyway, I just hope in a year or two from now we can't see a noticeable difference in speeds.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I enjoyed my 4s but I didn't like how I was extremely limited it was. I just hate Apple fanboys. Stay far away from MacRumors. Anyway, I just hope in a year or two from now we can't see a noticeable difference in speeds.

Who cares if they're fanboys? Let them be. I don't get this whole vitriol and hate over Apple people. Let them have their devices. You don't have to use an iPhone if you don't want to.

If you get mad because you see a lot of iPhones, you have serious problems. You think they're inferior devices, that's fine, let those people make a bad choice and you make your own choice. It's all about what makes them happy, and apparently that is having an iPhone.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Who cares if they're fanboys? Let them be. I don't get this whole vitriol and hate over Apple people. Let them have their devices. You don't have to use an iPhone if you don't want to.

If you get mad because you see a lot of iPhones, you have serious problems. You think they're inferior devices, that's fine, let those people make a bad choice and you make your own choice. It's all about what makes them happy, and apparently that is having an iPhone.

No hate over Apple people. They do have awesome products and I buy them. But you go and browse MacRumors.com for a year and you'll wanna punch a fanboy right in his face. Never did I say I get mad when I see people with iPhones. I was implying that they are becoming so common its almost sickening.

But I didn't create this thread to knock Apple. I created this thread to speculate on LTE speeds once the next gen iPhone hits. Yes more and more LTE devices will hit the network, of course, but with record number of activations for the 4s is what worries me. I'd hate to be getting 35 down one week and barely 10 down the next.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
No hate over Apple people. They do have awesome products and I buy them. But you go and browse MacRumors.com for a year and you'll wanna punch a fanboy right in his face. Never did I say I get mad when I see people with iPhones. I was implying that they are becoming so common its almost sickening.

But my point is that who cares if they're common? Why in the world does it bother you that they have an iPhone. Let them have their own device and make their own decision. Seriously.

But I didn't create this thread to knock Apple. I created this thread to speculate on LTE speeds once the next gen iPhone hits. Yes more and more LTE devices will hit the network, of course, but with record number of activations for the 4s is what worries me. I'd hate to be getting 35 down one week and barely 10 down the next.

Verizon (or any carrier, for that matter) is aware that new iPhones bring influxes of new subscribers and upgrades alike. The fact of the matter is that any network will deteriorate with new people being added to the service, it just depends how much. Its not Apples job to make sure that Verizon's network stays stable when they release a new iPhone. Its up to Verizon to handle the new people and new devices properly.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
But my point is that who cares if they're common? Why in the world does it bother you that they have an iPhone. Let them have their own device and make their own decision. Seriously.

Verizon (or any carrier, for that matter) is aware that new iPhones bring influxes of new subscribers and upgrades alike. The fact of the matter is that any network will deteriorate with new people being added to the service, it just depends how much. Its not Apples job to make sure that Verizon's network stays stable when they release a new iPhone. Its up to Verizon to handle the new people and new devices properly.

I think what he's saying is that there is pent-up demand for an LTE iPhone, and when it hits it has the potential of DOUBLING the number of LTE devices on Verizon's network in a matter of a few days. We're not talking the gradual loading of the network that has occurred as Verizon added LTE devices; we're talking about a million new LTE devices being added overnight. HUGE difference.

I'm not concerned though. LTE was designed to scale quite well, so it should handle it easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech