Basic Google wallet question for paying market items.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I realize the news now is on the actual Google wallet that you can pay in stores with. However, I can't even get my google wallet to work in buying apps on the market. Apparently I have an account that I think I established about 5 years ago, pre-android phones. Well, the account is now locked and it's asking me for a LOT of personal information like a fax of my driver's license or passport and a copy of a CC bill to activate it.

I feel very uncomfortable providing this to google! I just want ot buy a $1 app! I called their support and the nice guy told me I just needed a link to clear it all out and sent me a totally useless link to some basic instructions on how to use google wallet but it doesn't allow me to do anything with it.

Then the google wallet website has some instructions on how to delete your account and start new, which also don't seem to work since they tell me to go to the settings menu, click on google wallet and say deactivate. I don't have that in my ICS settings menu (or my apps menu).

Anyway, I am totally at a loss as to how to resolve this wihtout providing google wiht totally private information that is none of their business. But the android market won't let me pay any other way.

PLEASE HELP! I am dying here... Katherine

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Google not answering my emails for support. WHAT is it with these people? Does anyone have a phone number I can call? I don't htink the new Google Wallet will be successful if they don't plan on staffing their customer support at all!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What information are they asking for? All I have ever done is given cc info.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
What information are they asking for? All I have ever done is given cc info.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

They are asking me to fax in my drivers license or passport AND a recent credit card bill or utility bill?!?!?!?

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have not yet installed Google Wallet on my GN but did have a Google Checkout account set up a few years ago. I was not sure if I could make a Market purchase today because I knew my CC exp. date on Google Checkout had passed.

Thought I'd give it a try today, though, and I was able to make an app purchase through the Market. I hope this works for you...

When I selected the purchase button for the app I wanted, a screen popped up with my old CC info. Selecting that drop-down did nothing, but selecting the option to add a credit card allowed me to add my (same) CC info. with new exp. date info. and complete the app purchase. Hope this helps!

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the same gmail address as you did back when you first set up your Check out account? I wonder if there is some issue with the switch from Checkout to Wallet. Either way I did find this link. Enter your info and click the click to call. I used it in January and received a call back in about 5 minutes. It is for the Google Wallet app but the may be able to help or transfer you.
Contacting Support - Wallet Help

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all! I finally got a live person to email me back instead of the form emails with links to useless automated trouble shooting info. Turns out in Nov 2008 I bought on line some undies for my DH and that day my google account was hit with 4 transactions for computer purchases over $1000 each!

I was never notified of this and they just shut down my account. I had no reason to use it until recently when I tried making a market purchase. So they reactivated my account, had me change passwords, etc. And now it works again!

Very bizzare but it's the first time I have had any sort of identity theft. Hopefully google security is better now than in 2008! Off to buy some Tiny Tower money! Katherine

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I googled this and there are many reports of people being asked to fax in totally inappropriately private information. WHY would Google have the right to this info?!

Anyway, I got a survey today from them asking about my experience with customer support so I let them have my impressions. Basically unless they have actual staffed people who can answer questions, their product is going to fail bigtime. You can't keep directing people to usseless, generic email links for issues with their accounts. UGH.

Ah well, all done now for me. But no way will I recommend using google wallet to anyone until they have decent support. Even paypal is better than them, and that's saying something!

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85