I am spending an extended amount of time in Toronto for work. I also travel back to the states every other weekend.

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and was wondering if it can be unlocked and work off a Canadian Service Provider in lieu of roaming on Verizon? I know Verizon is CDMA and I think Telus is CDMA as well. If this is possible, what is the process of making this work? I hate carrying two phones and would like to just input one SIM Card in Canada and another in the US.

Did a search and found related material, but nothing that completely answered my question.
    03-09-2012 01:26 PM
    The SIM card in your phone is only used for LTE. If Verizon has a roaming agreement with CDMA carriers in Canada you can probably purchase some international minutes/data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    03-09-2012 02:08 PM
    Thanks for the info. It was worth a shot, wanted to get off the roaming charges and the company I work for would get a plan with a service provider in the north.
    03-09-2012 04:20 PM
    Can't be done. This is the limitation of CDMA. You are physically locked to the Verizon network (and their roaming partners). You can't swap the SIM like a typical GSM phone. If you want to keep a GNex you should buy an unlocked GSM model, and maintain two SIM cards (two accounts), 1 for the US and 1 for Canada, and just swap them at the border when you cross. Hassle, but a LOT cheaper than roaming, especially if you're going to be using it several times a month for extended periods.

Also, FWIW Telus is not CDMA. All Canadian carriers have moved to GSM.
    03-10-2012 05:47 AM
    thanks I was wondering this too... GF is in Toronto and I'm in Buffalo
    03-10-2012 01:16 PM
    Thanks everyone for the info. The company I work for provides the phone, so I guess I will have to stay with the nexus in the states and the desire they got me from Telus in the great white north. Thanks again for the info.
    03-12-2012 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD