Anyone getting photos a bit "washed out" when uploaded?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Here are two photos, one before I added back in some color and saturation. The edited version looks very much like it does on my phone, but when I uploaded my photos, they all seemed washed out and dead. Why would that be? The same was true whether I uploaded to Dropbox (keeping full size) or to G+ (which compresses it). Here are the two images:

IMG_20120310_134302.jpg

IMG_20120310_134302.jpg

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, the second image is much closer to how it looks on my phone's gallery. Is my phone just making the picture look better and the image uploaded is actually how it came out? Or is something happening to deaden it a bit when it uploads?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My apologies if misinterpreting, but I'm assuming that when you say that the unedited picture on Dropbox looks dead and washed out, you are reporting how it looks when displayed on another device.

How does the unedited picture on Dropbox look when displayed on your GN?

Seems to me that would answer the question as to whether the file is somehow modified when uploaded to Dropbox.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The unedited pictures look like the edited picture above on my Nexus. But, when NOT on my Nexus, whether uploaded to Dropbox or Picasa or Google+, they all look like the unedited picture above. This would lead me to believe that the Nexus and its tendency to saturate colors is making the photo look more colorful than it really is, and the way it looks everywhere else is "correct". But, the way it looks on the Nexus (and the way it looks after I edited it above) is how the scene actually looked in real life. So, the unnatural saturation of the Nexus seems to actually (coincidentally?) result in a more "realistic" picture. Odd.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The unedited pictures look like the edited picture above on my Nexus. But, when NOT on my Nexus, whether uploaded to Dropbox or Picasa or Google+, they all look like the unedited picture above. This would lead me to believe that the Nexus and its tendency to saturate colors is making the photo look more colorful than it really is, and the way it looks everywhere else is "correct". But, the way it looks on the Nexus (and the way it looks after I edited it above) is how the scene actually looked in real life. So, the unnatural saturation of the Nexus seems to actually (coincidentally?) result in a more "realistic" picture. Odd.

ehhh......

I would be more willing to bet you got a GNex with colors that are just a little off, and thats why everything looks different.

Download a photo from your computer to your phone, or email it to yourself. When you look at it on your gnex does it look like its more saturated? That would give you a good indication that your screen isnt showing true color.

Another thing you can do is take a screenshot of your gnex screen and upload that to dropbox. Open it on a computer and compare that image to your gnex. They should look very close to identical.

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine this is more of an issue of viewing on different monitors (laptop, desktop), settings, and/or viewing angles that makes the photo look different. I know when I'm editing something in photoshop on my laptop and transfer it to my desktop to continue the work the colors and tones are slightly different