Problem with Nexus battery (not your typical battery complaint)

rjs5689

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and unfortunately I'm having a problem with my GN. I unplugged my phone this morning and headed off to work like normal. About an hour later when I was sitting at my desk, I noticed my battery life was down to 35%. I plugged it into my computer via USB and noticed it wasn't really charging. If I didn't use the phone, the battery life would stay pretty constant, or increase about 1% over 1-2 hours. If I used my phone to text, the battery life was actually draining. I noticed the top of the phone around the camera was also getting pretty warm. I left my phone plugged in throughout the day, and it still drained to about 21% when I left work.

I got home, swapped batteries to see if it was a battery issue, but it was happening with each of my batteries. I then did a factory restore on the phone to see if it would fix things, and that didn't help either.

What could be going on with my phone? Could the processor be running in the background and draining the batter this quickly? If I leave the phone sitting on the table (screen off) the battery will still drain 5% in about 10-15 minutes, something isn't right here. Is a trip to Verizon going to have to be the answer?

Thanks, everyone; I appreciate the help.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem with Nexus battery (not your typical battery complain

Whats eating up your battery? Hint, its in your settings/battery tab. Also, this most definitely is your typical battery complaint.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also USB charging is not as powerful as wall charging. So you will most likely see little to no charge with use when plugged in to USB.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx

rjs5689

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

I understand what you're saying, but I know this is NOT normal. I've had this phone since the day it came out, so I'm pretty used to how long my battery lasts. I used my phone less than normal on my commute today, yet it still ran down to 35% when it's normally at 95% when I get to work. The phone goes from 100% charge to dead in under 4 hours without even using it (and that's with my (slightly) extended battery installed). I've actually been pleased with the battery life on this phone, it's been great. I don't get what would have caused a sudden change like this over night.

I just unplugged my phone from the wall charger. It's been sitting next to me screen off with nothing running. Over the course of 5 minutes the battery drained almost 5%.

What's eating my battery? The same two things that always do: screen and Android OS.

Last edited:

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you use 4g? Did u just happen to turn it on? Download any new apps recently? Some can be battery drainers ram leak'ers when not even in use. Current weather conditions can effect battery life. Not every day is gonna be the same. Download bad ass battery monitor has some good tools and what may be draining your battery.

I just unplugged my phone from the wall charger. It's been sitting next to me screen off with nothing running. Over the course of 5 minutes the battery drained almost 5%.

Some days this was normal with my nexus.
Tapatalk via Razr Maxx

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Do you have auto-sync with Google+? Did you take a video recently? It uploads and backs up videos, too. I don't think that would normally show up in the battery stats.

rjs5689

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

This kept happening after a hard reset of the phone, so there are no apps or anything that would be running. I literally do nothing with it and the battery withers away like crazy. I can't figure out what would be doing it, I've never had anything like this happen before. I understand some things can cause the battery to drain pretty quickly, but in my three months of ownership I've never had a battery die in 3.5 hours from not even touching the phone! That's not acceptable, especially when I'm used to 10-14 hour battery life with this phone.

rjs5689

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

I also noticed the ?time on battery" counter froze for about an hour. I've got no idea how to troubleshoot this further. I'm heading back to Verizon with it after work today.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I also noticed the ?time on battery" counter froze for about an hour. I've got no idea how to troubleshoot this further. I'm heading back to Verizon with it after work today.
good idea. this is definitely NOT typical usage. i dont know if i could kill my battery 1% a minute if i tried to....lol

kilgoretrout

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I have a similar problem with my battery. I actually made a thread about it a month ago maybe. For me, the battery constantly thinks it's charging (displays lightning bolt in battery), but it's not. When I plug it in, it sometimes doesn't really charge, but if I turn the phone off and plug it in, it'll charge.

I'm almost positive it's a hardware thing (I've tried different chargers, reset my phone, etc). I was at Verizon a few days ago and was able to show them what was happening. They gave me a number to call for a replacement. And speaking of which, I should probably call that number today.

Edit: When you plug in your phone, hit the power button twice so you're at the lock screen. My current glitchy phone doesn't always charge when plugged in, but when it DOES charge, the lock screen will say "Charging: ___ %," etc. I'm not sure how similar our issues are beyond both of us having messed up batteries, though, but I felt like the excess information couldn't hurt!

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

My battery has gone to the past 2 weeks or so. When reviewing the battery stats Android OS is always at the top of the usage list around 60%. This never happened to me before, Screen was always the top user

joesaucey

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and unfortunately I'm having a problem with my GN. I unplugged my phone this morning and headed off to work like normal. About an hour later when I was sitting at my desk, I noticed my battery life was down to 35%. I plugged it into my computer via USB and noticed it wasn't really charging. If I didn't use the phone, the battery life would stay pretty constant, or increase about 1% over 1-2 hours. If I used my phone to text, the battery life was actually draining. I noticed the top of the phone around the camera was also getting pretty warm. I left my phone plugged in throughout the day, and it still drained to about 21% when I left work.

I got home, swapped batteries to see if it was a battery issue, but it was happening with each of my batteries. I then did a factory restore on the phone to see if it would fix things, and that didn't help either.

What could be going on with my phone? Could the processor be running in the background and draining the batter this quickly? If I leave the phone sitting on the table (screen off) the battery will still drain 5% in about 10-15 minutes, something isn't right here. Is a trip to Verizon going to have to be the answer?

Thanks, everyone; I appreciate the help.

I have found using an old charger from 3g phones don't charge the nexus and other 4g phones correctly. I actually ruined two batteries using my old charger

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech