In-Car Setup Ideas?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2012 Nissan Altima, and so far the Galaxy Nexus has played nice with the factory Bluetooth handsfree calling system (although a recent mysterious glitched caused the car's system to show "in-call" on the screen regardless of how many times I restarted the car, and was only fixed when I disabled Bluetooth on the Galaxy Nexus), and at times call sound staticy.

Oddly, the car doesn't have Bluetooth audio streaming despite having Bluetooth calling. The functionality should be similar so to me it seems like a lame ploy by Nissan to force buyers to spend $2000 for the package that includes a hard disk in the car, navigation, and Bluetooth streaming.

Anyway, I decided to cancel my Sirius/XM and try a Spotify/Pandora combo as a replacement. I'm looking for a simpler way to just hop in the car and get music to play without having to fiddle with inserting the 3.5mm audio wire into the phone's headset jack, opening Spotify, finding a playlist or artist etc, and then just flopping the phone on the center console.

I wish the official Samsung Dock using the POGO pins would finally be available in the U.S., but that is no guarantee and it will most likely cost $100, at least (ripoff).

What setup do you guys have to make in-car audio easier?

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Tune link Android Auto: Wireless Bluetooth Audio Car Kit FM Radio

I splurged and bought this bluetooth adapter last year when it was on sale through best buy. This was the best investment I made for a phone as of yet.

Pros:
-it has an aux link from bluetooth
-it has a built in fm transmitter so I can use it in any friend's car on road trips.
-The app was nice for setting the FM channel the several times I used it, but not required for AUX cable use.
-Customer service has been very helpful when my device started getting buggy a few weeks ago. They declared it a "manufacturer's defect" and were very quick to respond to my email.

Cons:
-It does not work with phone calls (as of yet), instead it pauses your music and resumes after you hang up.
-The android version has a green light that lights up, unfortunately it's not blue like everything other instrument in my car.
-it's $80-$90 not on sale.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
That looks like it might work for me. Can you set it to open a specific applications when it automatically pairs? What apps have you used?

Is it possible for the Galaxy Nexus to be paired with my car for the phone features and simultaneously be paired with the TuneLink for the audio?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker to start Pandora automatically when my Gnex connects to the in-car BT. I used to do other scripting to save battery life in my Capitivate, but since the car "dock" for this phone sucks so bad, I had to simplify :). I do not put the phone in the dock for short rides anymore, but the BT streaming makes that no problem. Music within 15 seconds of starting the car. Bonus over the AUX is that the next track buttons on the steering wheel work.

Sure do wish for the actual DOCK though. With that, I can script the BT radio turning on/off when in the dock (GPS too when on CM) to save battery. Though this battery lasts much longer than my old Captivate did, so its less of a concern.

Tasker is what you are looking for. I have not been able to get it to kill Pandora on BT disconnect successfully yet, which forces me to manually close Pandora or it will pocket play.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
That looks like it might work for me. Can you set it to open a specific applications when it automatically pairs? What apps have you used?

Is it possible for the Galaxy Nexus to be paired with my car for the phone features and simultaneously be paired with the TuneLink for the audio?

You can pick the default music app that it opens. I have used it with Pandora and Google music, and the music quality is great. I had set it up to work with Google music by default so now every time I pair up it open Google music playing the last song where it left off. Google music also pauses and closes when it looses the bluetooth connection (i.e. when I turn the car off). It also works with gps and whatnot.To be honest I normally just leave buetooth on and don't bother with taking it out of my pocket unless it's a long trip or I'm not on a playlist. It just starts playing my music and stops all on it's own.

*sigh* I've gotten so lazy.

also, my sister bought one recently and she said it's cheaper on Amazon then best buy or New potato's website if that's a consolation.

As for the dual pairing I have never tried...but it's worth experimenting with. I don't own a bluetooth headset anymore so I can't experiment for you sadly.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
In the bluetooth settings on your phone you can uncheck phone audio. I use the bluetrip to listen to audio and I have a jabra drive to handle phone calls. I uncheck audio for the jabra drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

smcd5213

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My car is a few years old ('05 G35) and is pre-integrated bluetooth, so I have to go bluetooth to fm.

I use the Satechi Soundfly BT

Plugs into auxiliary power, has a USB port for charging and will take an SD card as well. Pairs up with the Nexus without issue and handles audio and phone calls perfectly. I can be listening to stored music or streaming Sirius (or Pandora for that matter); a call will come in, the audio pauses and the phone tone rings through the car speakers. I've been very pleased with the performance; it took a few minutes to set-up and it's been great since.

Also comes with a small mic that I clip on one of my dash vents, which isn't the cleanest solution, but it's tiny and blends into the dash so not that bad of a compromise. The voice quality is very good.

We like the set up so much we put the same thing in my wife's Durango.

Might not be exactly what you're after, but for anyone else looking for a good bluetooth to fm transmitter, this one is really nice.

Also cannot recommend highly enough the vehicle-specific mounts and phone-specific holders from Proclip USA. Very high quality and sturdy, purpose-built gear.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I happened upon an old bluetooth headset and suddenly remembered this thread. So I thought what the heck, I'll see if it can handle both at the same time. The answer is yes. The music just stops while the call is in progress and resumes after the call is ended.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I happened upon an old bluetooth headset and suddenly remembered this thread. So I thought what the heck, I'll see if it can handle both at the same time. The answer is yes. The music just stops while the call is in progress and resumes after the call is ended.

Is Sgt.Fuzzyboots your wife's phone? :D

Alanna Davies

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I know there is only a slim chance you'll happen upon this response, would you explain how you set up your tasker profile for that? I'm just beginning to explore the app's capabilities!