A Descent Into The Heart of Darkness: A Tale of Exasperation

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So as some may know, I've had 4 devices. I'm also one of the most ardent Nexii fans out there, defending it fairly frequently in your usual smattering of signal loss, call drop, terrible battery, and WTFreally threads.

But am I changing? Recently, I've had eyes on other devices, mainly because, well, I've had four of these damned things.

Let's look at my own history, first off.

First Device. My baby. My pride. Take it to Best Buy for a Zagg Shield, subsequently can't use the volume. Coincidence? If I didn't think so I would have gone back.

Second Device. My first encounter with the Verizon Certified Like New Program, which is really a cover for them wiping a device down with a cloth and sending it back out. How do I know this? Because after I wiped away the ad-hoc screen protection gel crap they applied, the screen was badly scuff and scratched in no less than 4 places, one of which was the size of a dime.

Third Device. I admit, this is where my descent into insanity begins. All else being equal, this was perfect. I had the most fun with it, flashing everything under the sun, taking it to movies, using it on a beach. And then I changed the wallpaper to white, and my mind focused on a few dead pixels and some red beast of a dust speck. Undeterred, I wiped until my knuckles bled. Undeterred again, I wiped in the sunlight, hoping to see whatever demon laid beneath the screen. Turns out, someone at Samsung probably has some sort of magenta skin, and that skin left a particle in between the glass and the screen. Madness? Perhaps.

Fourth Device. Perfect. And then last night the speaker wouldn't play music. It wouldn't play YouTube. It wouldn't make the sounds one what expect to accompany this "Temple Run" I kept hearing about. At 3AM, I went mad. Do I call Verizon? Should I be ashamed of wanting it fixed? Do I turn it back to stock now, waking up my fiancee and making all sorts of noises and clamoring?

So eventually, I fell asleep around 4:30, thoughts of napalm, the Doors, and Samsung/Verizon quality control in my head.

Today, it works.

Tomorrow? Who knows.

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Great narrative, and I believe more than a few of us are right there with you.

I myself am on Nexus #3. The first two had horrible mic-cutout issues. This one I am afraid to make calls with. This one has worse signal strength, therefore horrid battery life.

I myself am ready for a change, but they offer up nothing worthwhile in return.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I continue to feel for those that are having problems with this amazing phone. I was one of the lucky ones and seemed to have gotten a perfect one as my first. Granted I have had rebooting issues. But as of now I'm at 600+ hours of uptime without a single reboot. I wish we could figure out why some people have lemons and others have flawless devices.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Man, i feel for ya. That's a shame because my phone, relatively problem free, is the greatest phone i've ever had. I dont look around the corner for new or different devices, not scanning ebay for cheap replacements.

Don't know what to tell ya. There are good phones out there - if you're bound to verizon i guess the rezound is probably a good device, razr maxx if you're into moto phones i guess. Aside from that, as summer approaches we're going to see new devices.

I guess, if i were you, i would just complain until i got a good nexus, but its a shame there's such a qc problem with these awesome phones ...

or wait and see what else comes out ... if you can afford to take the hit ... and sell the refurb nexus on ebay or something ...

or try to pick up a rezound on ebay and absorb the hit ... i guess ...

anyway. Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite books. and Conrad is one of my top authors of all time.

(briefly studied literature in undergrad).

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
But you know if you get any other phone, you will never enjoy the super unreal rom/kernel/mod scene and the speed of improvements this phone has gone through. When the phone first came out it was a great phone.
Approaching 4 months after release, the devs have made this phone almost magical. Imagine 4- 6 months down the road. Whoa kinda scary.

After hanging around the forums and hearing lots of semi horror stories about signal/battery/misc issues, I can honestly say mine has not experienced any of those. Well, the battery life is not great for sure, but I have learned to work around that by carrying an extra charged battery. I have also wired my car to leave the cig lighter to be hot even if the key is in the off position for juice in the field. I got mine at 10am Dec 15 and is made in Korea and has been flawless.

Good luck, and hope you stick with the Nexus. Hope the one you have now is a good one,or may the phone gods bestow you with a good one if you do decide to replace it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I was lucky until the volume thing went to crap, and then it's like God has forsaken my very existence! It's like one thing after another, and I just don't understand it. Yes, I have OCD, but really? I mean really?

And obviously I'll be sticking with the Nexus. The RAZR may have sick physical components and a nice battery, but the screen is garbage and I'd rather not be stuck with a phone that you can barely customize.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I will keep this phone (thankfully its near perfect) probably past my upgrade (since i bought this one off contract). We'll have to see what happens, whether big red gets another nexus or if there even are more nexuses to be got.

But this phone is amazing. Every time i take the case off, im amazed at how nice it feels in the hand. The screen is awesome. The rom/kernel community is insane (i thought i was spoiled with the thunderbolt and dinc scenes, this is double that).

And of course, the Gnex Forums at AC. Not to say that the other device forums are inferior or anything :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. We have a great community here and all over with regards to dev; that's what Android's all about IMO, and I just have to accept it--warts and all.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am starting to think it has somethng to do with china vs. Korea
All 4 of mine were defective in several ways and all of them were made in china.
Can anyone confirm that even the Korean ones have problems.
Also, all of mine were dim even on the brightest setting compared to Charge for instance or older Revolution. Has anyone experienced that as well?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It's Samsung they have the worst qc control of any company. There tv's are often returned because of problems,phones whatever product they make. I've owned enough Samsung products to know this. I've had three galaxy nexus's and really this one's screen isn't as bright as my first one but all of them have the mic cut out issue. So I am waiting for the update to see what it fixes before I give up on the nexus and Samsung.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's Samsung they have the worst qc control of any company. There tv's are often returned because of problems,phones whatever product they make. I've owned enough Samsung products to know this. I've had three galaxy nexus's and really this one's screen isn't as bright as my first one but all of them have the mic cut out issue. So I am waiting for the update to see what it fixes before I give up on the nexus and Samsung.

I don't doubt that in the least. How is the SII/Variants with QC?

It's unfortunate b/c the only other phone that I think is really "the bee's knees" at VZW would either be the MAXX or iPhone, and I'd rather be on an LG Chocolate than an iPhone at this point.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I continue to feel for those that are having problems with this amazing phone. I was one of the lucky ones and seemed to have gotten a perfect one as my first. Granted I have had rebooting issues. But as of now I'm at 600+ hours of uptime without a single reboot. I wish we could figure out why some people have lemons and others have flawless devices.

Rebooting issues isn't something unique to the Nexus. Pretty much every Android device I have had periodically reboots itself.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So as some may know, I've had 4 devices. I'm also one of the most ardent Nexii fans out there, defending it fairly frequently in your usual smattering of signal loss, call drop, terrible battery, and WTFreally threads.

But am I changing? Recently, I've had eyes on other devices, mainly because, well, I've had four of these damned things.

Let's look at my own history, first off.

First Device. My baby. My pride. Take it to Best Buy for a Zagg Shield, subsequently can't use the volume. Coincidence? If I didn't think so I would have gone back.

Second Device. My first encounter with the Verizon Certified Like New Program, which is really a cover for them wiping a device down with a cloth and sending it back out. How do I know this? Because after I wiped away the ad-hoc screen protection gel crap they applied, the screen was badly scuff and scratched in no less than 4 places, one of which was the size of a dime.

Third Device. I admit, this is where my descent into insanity begins. All else being equal, this was perfect. I had the most fun with it, flashing everything under the sun, taking it to movies, using it on a beach. And then I changed the wallpaper to white, and my mind focused on a few dead pixels and some red beast of a dust speck. Undeterred, I wiped until my knuckles bled. Undeterred again, I wiped in the sunlight, hoping to see whatever demon laid beneath the screen. Turns out, someone at Samsung probably has some sort of magenta skin, and that skin left a particle in between the glass and the screen. Madness? Perhaps.

Fourth Device. Perfect. And then last night the speaker wouldn't play music. It wouldn't play YouTube. It wouldn't make the sounds one what expect to accompany this "Temple Run" I kept hearing about. At 3AM, I went mad. Do I call Verizon? Should I be ashamed of wanting it fixed? Do I turn it back to stock now, waking up my fiancee and making all sorts of noises and clamoring?

So eventually, I fell asleep around 4:30, thoughts of napalm, the Doors, and Samsung/Verizon quality control in my head.

Today, it works.

Tomorrow? Who knows.

Just remember when you go over the edge, that all your negative statements need to be absolutes and need to be all inclusive for every Nexus owner. If you can't do that you simply cannot be a member of the Hate Nexus Club. ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just remember when you go over the edge, that all your negative statements need to be absolutes and need to be all inclusive for every Nexus owner. If you can't do that you simply cannot be a member of the Hate Nexus Club. ;)

Precisely. They complain about fan boys, but folks lacking proper perspective are on both sides of the debate--fan boys and haters alike.

Thankfully, it seems like the latter have had their fill, at least for now.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't doubt that in the least. How is the SII/Variants with QC?

It's unfortunate b/c the only other phone that I think is really "the bee's knees" at VZW would either be the MAXX or iPhone, and I'd rather be on an LG Chocolate than an iPhone at this point.

One thing that I have learned to respect Apple for in my brief experience with the iphone 4S, is the frequent updates they push out. VZW, doesn't seem to pull the same garbage with Apple that they do with various Android phones for getting updates pushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci