Will unlocked/rooted cell get ICS 4.0.5 OTA update?

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So, we've been hearing the news that Verizon is gonna start beaming ICS 4.0.5 update in April. What I'm wondering is whether my cell will be able to / allowed to receive it?

Here are my cell's config -

Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus
Android 4.0.4 (The one leaked earlier)
Baseband version - I515.10 V.FA02 / I515.FA02
Kernel - 3.0.21-franco.Kernel-nightly-17.2
Build number - IMM30B

It's unlocked and rooted [duh]. Will it receive the ICS 4.0.5 OTA update?

Thanks.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the stock recovery or did you flash a custom recovery like CWM
If you did the latter, then it may download, but will fail to install.

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the CWM 5.5.0.4
So, once you install CWM, you can not install OTA updates.....? How are such people gonna get their OS updated? Only AOKP & MIUI & CM9 etc...?

Sorry if my questions are dumb. Newbie alert.... :p

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
^I believe you need to have the stock recovery to accept an ota. So going back to stock would work. Or waiting for an ota zip would be the next option.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Correct.
You can flash the stock recovery. You can do all the ROMing you want with the stock recovery. You can boot into clockwork mod without flashing it using adb tools. No need for root, just unlocked bootloader.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Where can I get the stock recovery for my Verizon nexus? And do I just install it using ROM manager?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
^I believe you need to have the stock recovery to accept an ota. So going back to stock would work. Or waiting for an ota zip would be the next option.

If I wait for the ota zip, I would need to wipe data and cache when installing, correct?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Where can I get the stock recovery for my Verizon nexus? And do I just install it using ROM manager?

You can get them in this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/141360-factory-images-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

Its in the factory images provided by google. You can then use adb and fastboot to flash it to your device. You cannot flash it by sticking it on your phone and using clockwork mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz