PSA - Serious Flaw in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The only times I've had problems with my Galaxy Nexus is when I'm in an area that's right on the boundary lines of 3G/4G. I have signal problems at work, yes, but everyone has signal problems where I work, regardless of carrier. I think the problem there is with the structure of the building in which we work. Otherwise, my phone has been fine. Maybe I'm lucky.

I'm in a very strong 4G area, and I'm sure that's part of why I don't experience many problems.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've worked with technicians from ATT & T-Mobile for years. Their project managers were tasked with improving coverage in our buildings. I would get their opinions on the various devices and each of them told me that Samsung devices are the worst RF front ends on the market. The phones they trusted for their coverage readings were LG. At the time I was looking for a Standard phone I did side by side tests in the store. Constantly the Samsungs were in fact the worst, Motorola's were average and LG s looked the strongest. I bought an LG and was happy. When it came time to buy my first smart phone I strayed and got the Samsung Charge for it's battery life and screen. Just seem like the best of the 4G bunch. It wasn't a bad phone. Liked it for what it could do but I'm here to say that I now have a Motorola Maxx and it's a true love affair. The Nexus looks awesome, better screen, newer os but underneath the glitzy exterior I feel that's it's inferior to this Maxx in operation and quality. The signal is solid, the call quality is way better than my charge was, the screen rotation is smooth and fast and the 3300mah battery is second to none. To each his own but I don't think I'll ever stray again.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
you know, this reminds me of early iphone users (and maybe even current) on att. I asked them how they liked it and they said they loved it except for poor reception to make/receive phone calls. the verizon galaxy nexus is a beautiful pieces of equipment (way too big for my taste) but it is amazing what people put up with to own this phone. while i love having a smartphone (rather than carrying a palm pda and a phone) i still need my phone to work as a phone
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
I now have a Motorola Maxx and it's a true love affair. The Nexus looks awesome, better screen, newer os but it underneath the glitzy exterior I feel that's it's inferior to this Maxx in operation. The signal is solid, the call quality is way better than my charge was, the screen rotation is smooth and fast and the 3300mah battery is second to none. To each his own but I don't think I'll ever stray again.
I want a MAXX variant on Sprint, so badly.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Getting a new phone will not fix a software bug unless you have corrupted files. You are one of the lucky ones who have one that works good for you but getting a new phone only works for ones that have hardware problems on top of the software issues.

And the replacement phones they send you are not new they are USED. The same phone you sand back they hook it up to a computer to see if there is a hardware issue, and when there isn't (the vast majority of cases) they reflash the software, re-package the phone and send it out so the next person who complains about theirs not working.

I completely agree in that sense, but I meant a different phone. If you complain enough, they will send you a Razr (or something else). Ive done it before.

Edit: iPhone is a joke. My opinion of course!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree in that sense, but I meant a different phone. If you complain enough, they will send you a Razr (or something else). Ive done it before.

So have a lot of people. Generally you have to go through several replacement devices before they let you go to another phone.

Edit: iPhone is a joke. My opinion of course!

An opinion yes but with a lot of truth behind it. The iPhone is well known to be a mediocre phone at best wen it comes to signal

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
This reminds me of similar issues with the Thunderbolt. We lost signal regularly. Had random re-boots. It took five months to fix. Now that it works well I'm waiting to see if the GN gets fixed before I upgrade. Can't afford another business trip with a malfunctioning phone.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This reminds me of similar issues with the Thunderbolt. We lost signal regularly. Had random re-boots. It took five months to fix. Now that it works well I'm waiting to see if it gets fixed before I upgrade.

Thunderbolt signal was never THIS bad, even during the broken MR2 days.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That is a isolated indecent....sorry, that was my experience, but my nexus homes slammed that to shame as evidenced by defects.....this is a minority....the majority rock solid nexus....

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That is a isolated indecent....sorry, that was my experience, but my nexus homes slammed that to shame as evidenced by defects.....this is a minority....the majority rock solid nexus....

The majority of those who report a positive experience seem to be running updated or custom ROMs, that's MY experience from what I have seen reading the forums.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The majority of those who report a positive experience seem to be running updated or custom ROMs, that's MY experience from what I have seen reading the forums.

not, sorry, we (those that run morph OS) are few.....I know several on .04 that are killer happy.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The only times I've had problems with my Galaxy Nexus is when I'm in an area that's right on the boundary lines of 3G/4G.

I've been saying the same thing for months, I think the signal problems with the Galaxy Nexus are most obvious in the 4G fringe areas, which is unfortunately where my house lies. My phone works much better in downtown Phoenix where there is a super strong 4G signal but becomes useless at home and when traveling around my suburb which lies on the edge of the 4G market. Other 4G phones work great here (Thunderbolt, Bionic, RAZR) but the Galaxy Nexus just can't seem to make it work for some reason.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You just made my pint for me .02 is stock firmware for this device right now. Anything newer is custom (even if it is straight AOSP).

the pint or point has been punctured....enjoy! I know the nexus ain't that defunct dude. And I hate the nexus.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Because this thread is lame....sorry guy.:mad:

Wishing a problem away does not make it go away.

Enough people have had thus problem and hopefully more people will have the courage to speak up now. This device on stock 4.0.2 firmware has some SERIOUS issues that will hopefully be addressed in the next OTA, but until that happens people considering this device have the right to know how significant the problem really is.

If you dont have anything to actually contribute to the discussion please leave the thread.