The Oversimplification of the Call Drop Issue in Recent Posts

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
First off, this is not meant to start a flame war. It's focus is simply on one premise--that the Galaxy Nexus drops calls, and as a phone, it is inadequate, but that inadequacy is more about your subjective perception than objective perception.

Many of the arguments against the Galaxy Nexus, usually lobbed by users with troubled devices, replacement devices, or swapped devices (notably those who now own RAZRs/MAXXs) revolve around the Galaxy Nexus dropping calls and signal randomly and somewhat violently. The claim is that the GN can not hold a phone call, and therefore, as a phone, it is incomparable to other devices currently on the Verizon network.

However, in this day and age, I believe this complaint and thus the connotation derived from this complaint to be both contrived and oversimplified. Here's why.

First, for me personally, actual "phone" or "call" usage takes up approximately 5-10% of my GN usage. I use my GN for a variety of things; as a music player, to check/read/write emails, to browse the internet, to play with apps, etc. etc. At the end of the day, it's "phone" usage ranks very low on my usage totem pole.

As such, for me, I derive much more benefit from using it in other means. What does that mean comparatively? It means that for my personal usage, downgrading to a RAZR MAXX or trying to swap for an iPhone hinders and detracts from my benefit, b/c right now, I do believe there is no better phone out there for my usage. The GN simply does what I need it to do, and it does it better than anything else that I've tried.

I would also posit that for the most part, a decent chunk of us here on AC and other forums use this phone in a similar fashion (meaning that phone/call usage is in the lower percentages when compared to other things). For some users, this is obviously not the case. But for those users, I ask--if you use your phone as a phone for 80-90% of its usage, why bother with something like a GN? Why bother with something like a RAZR? What benefit do you personally derive having a phone that can do so much if you only need it for one task (making/receiving calls)? Why not just buy a flip phone or get one of those basic smartphones with email?

Obviously, that in and of itself is also a simplification, but it's absolutely indicative and exemplary of what's been going on when the complaint threads turn to flaming mush. Where the oversimplification makes sense, at least logically, is when people unfairly (but fairly in their minds) label "this" and "that" as superior/inferior to the GN (or vice versa). Essentially, this occurs when we/they use our/their perception of our/their phone and our/their usage as the baseline for any given analysis. Logically, from both ends of the field/debate, this is highly problematic because there's no actual objective baseline, but instead an overuse of subjective analysis being passed off as objective truth, fact, etc. So long as we can all agree that for the most part these discussions breakdown into a battle of subjective opinions then I think the "complaint" threads can actually serve some good. But until people can see the context of their opinion, these threads will always break down into mindless drivel (and I and others are guilty of contributing to this).

My point with this post is that we as a community should not be too quick to rush to judgment for either viewpoint, good or bad. Phones have their flaws, and for users with different usages, different phones max out their benefit better than other phones. For me, there's no other phone on the Verizon network that would make me as happy and as satisfied as the GN, b/c my usage is tailored almost exactly to what the GN offers. For others though, this is not the case, and simplifying the argument on either side does a disservice to true constructive debate. But comparing the RAZR to the GN, the Rezound to the GN, or anything else to the GN simply ignores the fact that we each use our phone for different subjective purposes, and believe it or not, the GN can actually meet and exceed some folks' expectations when the usage and its ability matches up.

TL;DR -- before flaming or trolling, be aware that your opinion is based upon your own, subjective usage, and that declaring this and that without understanding that conflict renders any actual argument/debate meaningless.

/rant

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt consider the Maxx a downgrade...lol. With that out the way...:p

First and foremost its a phone. Whether its a developer phone or a smart phone...its a phone.

So for me...I would want it to be a somewhat decent phone. I'm paying a phone bill. If there was ever a time I need said phone to perform halfway decent in an emergency, I would hope it wouldnt let me down.

Everything else about a smartphone is icing on the cake, extras to me. I could use a flip phone...then I would give up everything about a smart phone that makes having a smart phone great. Internet, GPS, apps, games, for me bigger screens, better cameras. For me...I want something that...overall...is good, after doing research, after trying it out for a few weeks. Not good in one area and so so in another.

*I'm talking about the basics. Not getting into specs or specific features*

Its exactly like you say...and I try to say it alot: wants n needs. We all dont have the same.

At the same time....one could say why get a smartphone that isnt so good as a phone? Why pay a phone bill for it? Why not just get a small tablet, or a personal media player, a hand held gaming system?

Also...I just thought of something today. In some cases...it might not be that X phone is so so as a phone...it might just be that Y phone is above average as a phone. If thats the case...X phone might not be too bad.

Wants n needs....wants n needs...We all have to make compromises cuz no phone is perfect. Some of us compromise on the phone parts, some of us dont. Some of us might not even know depending on where you spend most of your time, what you know about phones. If I can get a smartphone that's more reliable as a phone than other phones....then that makes everything else about it icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggpike and dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
For my usage, it'd be a massive downgrade, but like you and I said--it's all about wants and needs :D.

In reality, it's all basic economics/choice theory. You want to maximize your wealth and happiness. Finding what does that is key, and for people to presume that what maximizes their wealth is the same as all other actors undermines most of the legitimacy their arguments/points have. Hell, I'm just as guilty as the rest TBH.

Reactions: 2defmouze and jroc

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I too disagree the the Razr Maxx is a downgrade.
The term developer phone is thrown around too loosely. It's a developer phone for Google. That does not mean that this device should have to be modified just to make it behave like a quality device.

As to the low percentage of people who need it as a phone, check the stats. A large number of people have ditched their landline in favor of using a cellphone, so that low percentage you speak of is inaccurate.

My cell phone is not only my primary phone, it's my only phone. Even in the office, I have a softphone on my laptop which is forwarded to my cell.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The term developer phone is thrown around too loosely. It's a developer phone for Google. That does not mean that this device should have to be modified just to make it behave like a quality device.

As to the low percentage of people who need it as a phone, check the stats. A large number of people have ditched their landline in favor of using a cellphone, so that low percentage you speak of is inaccurate.

My cell phone is not only my primary phone, it's my only phone. Even in the office, I have a softphone on my laptop which is forwarded to my cell.

I don't think your comments really interpret or convey an understanding of the point that I was driving home--for MY use, the usage as a "phone" is a VERY low percentage when compared to everything else. Perhaps I went to far to posit that others have the same type of usage; I know of some, but obviously not all. For me, it's not inaccurate--it's 100% accurate. Others can agree or disagree, particularly with their own usage, but again--presuming either way is wrong.

This has nothing to do with whether or not it's a developer phone or whatever it is called. This has nothing to do with whether or not it behaves as a quality device objectively. It deals with actual, subjective use of individual owners. I use it to flash roms, enjoy apps, etc. etc. Others do the same and others do differently. Trying to generalize the usage of a phone for either purpose--as a straight phone or as a flashing platform--is shortsighted and in many ways very superficial.

For the downgrade comment, for what I use the phone for, any other phone that Verizon offers is a downgrade. That's just for my usage. I want a great screen with easy and expansive customization. No other Verizon phone offers that, so a MAXX for my usage is a downgrade.

Again, the entire point of this thing is pointing out how subjective and biased our opinions are when we start throwing mud.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't throwing mud.
I made the comment about "developer phone" not because it had anything to do with your opinion that the phone usage is a low percentage, but because too many people incorrectly use the term.

Any smartphone should be able to be used primarily as a phone. This one is no different.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't throwing mud.
I made the comment about "developer phone" not because it had anything to do with your opinion that the phone usage is a low percentage, but because too many people incorrectly use the term.

Any smartphone should be able to be used primarily as a phone. This one is no different.

Never said you were. I'm simply trying to explain the roots of this.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

You make a point I totally forgot about. My kids mother is one example. She does it based on finances. Some do it based on convenience. I have a land line basically cuz my area sucks for reception, my apt is a virtual dead zone. I just got my first blue tooth ear piece for this reason. I have to keep my phone by the window to have long conversations.

I could get a network extender and probably save money on my cable/phone/internet bill.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You make a point I totally forgot about. My kids mother is one example. She does it based on finances. Some do it based on convenience. I have a land line basically cuz my area sucks for reception, my apt is a virtual dead zone. I just got my first blue tooth ear piece for this reason. I have to keep my phone by the window to have long conversations.

I could get a network extender and probably save money on my cable/phone/internet bill.

Weirdly, my apt was a dead zone until about 2-3 weeks ago, and all of a sudden I'm getting decent strength here. Maybe they fixed a tower, who knows.

For important conversations, I go to the middle of the parking lot.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think your comments really interpret or convey an understanding of the point that I was driving home--for MY use, the usage as a "phone" is a VERY low percentage when compared to everything else. Perhaps I went to far to posit that others have the same type of usage; I know of some, but obviously not all. For me, it's not inaccurate--it's 100% accurate. Others can agree or disagree, particularly with their own usage, but again--presuming either way is wrong.

This has nothing to do with whether or not it's a developer phone or whatever it is called. This has nothing to do with whether or not it behaves as a quality device objectively. It deals with actual, subjective use of individual owners. I use it to flash roms, enjoy apps, etc. etc. Others do the same and others do differently. Trying to generalize the usage of a phone for either purpose--as a straight phone or as a flashing platform--is shortsighted and in many ways very superficial.

For the downgrade comment, for what I use the phone for, any other phone that Verizon offers is a downgrade. That's just for my usage. I want a great screen with easy and expansive customization. No other Verizon phone offers that, so a MAXX for my usage is a downgrade.

Again, the entire point of this thing is pointing out how subjective and biased our opinions are when we start throwing mud.

I've had 4 GN and all had problems including the screen being dim and dull.
So besides that please tell me what exactly can GN do that Maxx cannot and Maxx is holding a stronger signal without dropping it in the middle of a phone call, music stream or pic download.
Now that

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone as a developer phone and a daily driver, works fine, and haven't had an issue with dropped calls, despite my bars in my condo being 0. I've never missed a call or dropped a call on my nexus. The fruit phone, yes. I don't have a motorola to compare it to, but my mom's motorola phone had almost full signal in here, but its on a different carrier. I haven't rooted my phone, nor ever found the need to, like I did on my HTC devices.

I would consider the MAXX a downgrade, but thats because I like watching baseball from my phone, which the MAXX cannot do because it doesn't have ICS. It may get it one day, but there is no difinitive date available... and I know all too well, when a carrier and a phone maker say "Soon" it always seems to be the opposite. Asus has shown how to keep the customer happy with timely updates, despite not being a google experience tablet maker.

I also stream music while I run. I have a set playlist, but sometimes I change my music. No issues streaming here.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had 4 GN and all had problems including the screen being dim and dull.
So besides that please tell me what exactly can GN do that Maxx cannot and Maxx is holding a stronger signal without dropping it in the middle of a phone call, music stream or pic download.
Now that

You didn't read the first paragraph and I'm not going to be baited.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I threw out developer phone first, probably shouldnt have. I was doing alot of reading in here earlier today....That was my mistake.

Also...I just thought of something today. In some cases...it might not be that X phone is so so as a phone...it might just be that Y phone is above average as a phone. If thats the case...X phone might not be too bad.

I made this comment for a reason. I wont speak on it until I get a few weeks under my belt with Rezound #2. First got stolen, was on the verge of taking it back to exchange the phone or sim card.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I threw out developer phone, probably shouldnt have. I was doing alot of reading in here earlier today....That was my mistake.

I made this comment for a reason. I wont speak on it until I get a few weeks under my belt with Rezound #2. First got stolen, was on the verge of taking it back to exchange the phone or sim card.

It's certainly a logical comment. The Rezound is probably the only other phone on Verizon that really intrigues me for what I like to do, but part of that is b/c I love my DINC so much.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No I really want to know maybe I'm missing something.
I'm on the unlimited data so GN's data manager is just a gimmick to me.
Maxx rooted, debloated, go launcher ICS theme gives me the same look and feel and 0 bloatware.
Please tell me what made you call Maxx a downgrade.
Other than watching full screen videos the soft buttons on GN make the screen about the same 4.3" size.
GN's baterry is pathetic even when I used 2100 extended one.
Screen glass is not gorilla and does scratch.
Speakerphone's speaker is much weaker than Maxx's if you're into watching videos and listening to music.
Anyway, sell it to me, I'll go get another one tomorrow.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Maxx rooted, debloated, go launcher ICS theme gives me the same look and feel and 0 bloatware.
Other than watching full screen videos the soft buttons on GN make the screen about the same 4.3" size.
Speakerphone's speaker is much weaker than Maxx's if you're into watching videos and listening to music.

Stop trolling.

Reactions: 2defmouze

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

For me:
1) the screen on the max is a piece of garbage compared to the nexus
2) as I mentioned earlier, watching live baseball games is an ICS only feature.
3) ICS really brings lots of nice UI improvements that are not available with a Launcher change
4) Moto's natorious locked bootloader and methods for flashing ROMs is not ideal.
5) No signal issues for me.

While I will admit, 4.0.2 had bad speakerphone volume, 4.0.4 has brought a huge improvement in the volume. I'm having no issues hearing my MLB.TV right now on the phone as I type this.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
For me:
1) the screen on the max is a piece of garbage compared to the nexus
2) as I mentioned earlier, watching live baseball games is an ICS only feature.
3) ICS really brings lots of nice UI improvements that are not available with a Launcher change
4) Moto's natorious locked bootloader and methods for flashing ROMs is not ideal.
5) No signal issues for me.

While I will admit, 4.0.2 had bad speakerphone volume, 4.0.4 has brought a huge improvement in the volume. I'm having no issues hearing my MLB.TV right now on the phone as I type this.

you get games on the mlb at bat app? or somewhere else???

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I run a single person business and being able to communicate with my customers via voice phone, and other modes of communication such as email is essential. I have had the "dropped call" problem since Dec. 15. I am on my second Nexus, (replacement suggested by Samsung to level 2 Verizon support). Both phones have the same problem NOT dropped calls, but the microphone on my phone cuts out during the call. I can hear my clients asking me where I have gone, and am still connected.
My family, customers and friends all know that our phone conversations can end from my end at any time. They also know that I like this phone enough to tough it out and wait for a software fix which has been dangled in front of me since December by Verizon employees at the store and at customer support.
Had I known that this difficulty and embarrassment in my daily communication would slog on for months would I have bought this phone? No. Have I invested time and patience to the extent that I feel the benefits of waiting and having the phone I like so much fixed might pay off? yes
Having to call someone back 4 times in 5 minutes because you are trying to have an important conversation is very very frustrating.
My opinion based on my experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary