The Oversimplification of the Call Drop Issue in Recent Posts

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
LMAO! Don't appease me, not falling. I said it clear, that nexus isn't shizzzz..you taunted my chip speed @ 800 and several other specs..time to back it bro....battle phone is on! Love it!

That's not this thread though. And again, never mentioned Apple because I never wanted one ;-).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Back up them claims G

This is a bit much for this late. You like what you like and I like what I like.

That's the entire point of the thread. So stop trolling, because now it's just annoying.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a bit much for this late. You like what you like and I like what I like.

That's the entire point of the thread. So stop trolling, because now it's just annoying.

I quoted your post. Don't accuse me of that. I answered all of your OP paragraphs word for word respectfully...I have thanked and like many of your post. I am gone...enjoy your thread...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone does not hinder and detract. Just saying:)

Oh I see it! Sorry I'm exhausted.

It does for me actually, but that's because I prefer Android and I'm not a fan of the glass slate design. So it's not within my preference and is not a legit option for me to maximize my phone happiness so to speak.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I quoted your post. Don't accuse me of that. I answered all of your OP paragraphs word for word respectfully...I have thanked and like many of your post. I am gone...enjoy your thread...

Lol its hard to read in Tapatalk. I know you have, but really my claims in this thread are easy to back up so I don't understand the confusion. I prefer this, you that, and thus we're all happy.

Your back to back posts made it seem like you were posting just to get a rise out of me, and thus my accusation. My apologies if that is not the case, again it is late and again Tapatalk is a pain.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll make it real simple... GN= $300+$2400 over 2 years= $2700= should work as a damn phone no matter what percentage I use it as a phone!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have had one since since release date and two phones since early January. Have had no call issues. Long calls, short calls, calls where I could not get reception on my Incredible. Sorry for those who have issues but there are many of us whose phone has had no issues making or receiving calls.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OP is a epic troll.... Permaban plz.

Lol jk.. My 2 cents: I have had maybe 1 dropped call period on my Nexus since I got it in December.. Perhaps I'm just fortunate, I believe living in a very well covered area like NYC probably plays a part as well. I will occasionally have a call with relatively poor quality... Static/tinny sounding or whatever... But that is rare for me as well.

For all other intents and purposes I also have my phone for same reasons as OP: For the ease of unlocking and tons of developer support, to surf the Web, play games, and text message. Phone calls easily amount to less than 3% of my overall usage. If phone calls were a bigger deal TO ME it wouldn't have been such an easy decision to sell my bionic and get this.

Majority of the trolli... Ahem... Debating going on in this thread appears to stem from people perhaps just missing OP's point of why he purchased and enjoys his phone, in spite of its flaws, because any flaws it has are not affecting his (or my) daily usage.

Another point to consider: when you invest a significant amount of money, especially in a piece of technology, you have options. And doing your homework.. Which in this case would involve reading reviews, browsing the forums, speaking with owners if the phone, etc.... Is something you simply must get into a habit of doing regularly or you will likely have a number of disappointing experiences. The classic response every trol... Ahem... Person wants to come back at me with now is something along the lines of: "Well I paid $XXX for a PHONE and it should work amazingly well as a phone..." or some such. While I don't disagree in principal, its apparent these folk want to ignore completely their responsibility to DO THEIR HOMEWORK. I spend at least a couple hours (more usually... Days... OMG!) doing research before I spend a chunk of my money on a phone, computer, HDTV, etc... And am proud to have a track record of being very happy with my investments. And if there's anything that didn't live up to expectations the first person I blame is MYSELF... Self, you should have done better homework. Bad buy, self. Live and learn.

Felt like I had more to say but it's early and thumbs are tired now :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jroc

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see it! Sorry I'm exhausted.

It does for me actually, but that's because I prefer Android and I'm not a fan of the glass slate design. So it's not within my preference and is not a legit option for me to maximize my phone happiness so to speak.

No worries....I can take it lol. Consider my posts OP ED. We all need both sides of an argument. Like I say, the openness and developers on the nexus can't be beat.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No worries....I can take it lol. Consider my posts OP ED. We all need both sides of an argument. Like I say, the openness and developers on the nexus can't be beat.

Yeah but this isn't about individual comparison between the Nexus and X phone. It's about what the individual user desires, and what device maximizes that desire. So regardless of the points you made, and regardless of me calling this or that phone a downgrade, "facts" are hard to argue when the perspective is so skewed b/c we each want and need a different thing.

For example, I would say a decent majority of the folks rooting/flashing their Nexus love it, but that's because:

1. It gives them an experience unlike the stock experience
  2. That's the behavior they desire to enjoy
  3. The Nexus has one of the best--if not the best--support of any Android device currently
  4. The Android operating system, by its nature, is easily and expansively customizable even in stock form

But again, these users enjoy that and for them, particularly myself and I'm sure a decent portion of RootzWiki, XDA, our rom forum, etc., that's what they wanted in their device. Think of them as the equivalent of Apple fan folks (but ignoring an actual phone comparison b/c that's moot). They want a specific "brand." For one person it may be Apple, for the other it may be Android, and a derivation thereof of the latter is rooting, flashing, etc. etc. But that brand can obviously shift or skew your perspective, b/c again, not to beat a dead horse, everything is subjective to a point.

And of course subjectivity masks inadequacies. That is basic and fundamental economics. Everything, to a degree, is a cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of an item (a device's flaws) outweighs the benefit of the item (the device's upsides) to that actor, then obviously they will like, want, and purchase something that better represents their cost:benefit necessities (or utility, if you want to go there).

For me, the cost (poor radios, spotty mic) is (greatly) outweighed by the benefits (the screen, ICS, rooting/flashing, the shape, etc.). Hence I've been through 4 (including my current). For others, the converse may absolutely be true--but each conclusion is logically valid because it's based on their own choice, subjectivity, utility, and ultimately happiness.

So again, this is not a comparison thread. If I wanted that I would have started the 1000th one. It's about realizing that X user prefers this, Y user prefers that, and A user prefers that, but each preference should not be undermined or chastised because we have no understanding of how that preference is calculated or determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but this isn't about individual comparison between the Nexus and X phone. It's about what the individual user desires, and what device maximizes that desire. So regardless of the points you made, and regardless of me calling this or that phone a downgrade, "facts" are hard to argue when the perspective is so skewed b/c we each want and need a different thing.

For example, I would say a decent majority of the folks rooting/flashing their Nexus love it, but that's because:

1. It gives them an experience unlike the stock experience
  2. That's the behavior they desire to enjoy
  3. The Nexus has one of the best--if not the best--support of any Android device currently
  4. The Android operating system, by its nature, is easily and expansively customizable even in stock form

But again, these users enjoy that and for them, particularly myself and I'm sure a decent portion of RootzWiki, XDA, our rom forum, etc., that's what they wanted in their device. Think of them as the equivalent of Apple fan folks (but ignoring an actual phone comparison b/c that's moot). They want a specific "brand." For one person it may be Apple, for the other it may be Android, and a derivation thereof of the latter is rooting, flashing, etc. etc. But that brand can obviously shift or skew your perspective, b/c again, not to beat a dead horse, everything is subjective to a point.

And of course subjectivity masks inadequacies. That is basic and fundamental economics. Everything, to a degree, is a cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of an item (a device's flaws) outweighs the benefit of the item (the device's upsides) to that actor, then obviously they will like, want, and purchase something that better represents their cost:benefit necessities (or utility, if you want to go there).

For me, the cost (poor radios, spotty mic) is (greatly) outweighed by the benefits (the screen, ICS, rooting/flashing, the shape, etc.). Hence I've been through 4 (including my current). For others, the converse may absolutely be true--but each conclusion is logically valid because it's based on their own choice, subjectivity, utility, and ultimately happiness.

So again, this is not a comparison thread. If I wanted that I would have started the 1000th one. It's about realizing that X user prefers this, Y user prefers that, and A user prefers that, but each preference should not be undermined or chastised because we have no understanding of how that preference is calculated or determined.
Would not it be nice to just say your opinion and not have other perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone;) objective or subjective...measurable data is always preferred, but there is value in subjectivity...it just isn't measurable. Well said man, and sorry if I feathered your nest. That is not my intention. Rock that beast!

Reactions: 2defmouze

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Would not it be nice to just say your opinion and not have another perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone;)

What? You mean would it be nice just talk about your phone and not have people comment? Sorry I don't quite follow if that's not what you meant.

Edit: I see you edited. Indifference curves are measures, they're just never 100% accurate b/c of the amount of assumption that goes along with them ;).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What? You mean would it be nice just talk about your phone and not have people comment? Sorry I don't quite follow if that's not what you meant.

I know, good English is hard to find these days. We are all used to contractions so I will digress.

Wouldn't it be nice = would not it be nice. (same thing) hope that helps.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I know, good English is hard to find these days. We are all used to contractions so I will digress.

Wouldn't it be nice = would not it be nice. (same thing) hope that helps.

lol it wasn't that part that confused me, it was
not have another perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone
, but mainly b/c I didn't realize it was possessive until after the fact.

That and I screwed up myself w/ Tapatalk, but that's a given. I write so poorly with it...but alas.

Thanks for your contributions :D.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Edit: I see you edited. Indifference curves are measures, they're just never 100% accurate b/c of the amount of assumption that goes along with them ;).

I get ya, and I understand your post. Sounds like you have the perfect phone for you. I wish I had one some days.

When a patient arrives in the hospital there are to sets of data I use, subjective and objective. I use them both to assume the best plan of care. It is all good dmmark. I don't want to be right, just have a opinion of my own:p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000