WTH is Verizon up to?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, your math is suspect. Costs associated with running a wireless network are insane, especially if the company is in the middle of launching a new network. Their subscriber payments barely keep up with their costs. Verizon's income for the fourth quarter before taxes, etc. was only $4.6 billion on revenue of $26 billion (with half of that being income that was not due to payments by subscribers). For all of last year Verizon's income was only $10 billion on revenue of $107 billion.

Your math is WAY OFF - it's $30 for upgrades. With 100,000,000 customers upgrading every two years you're looking at 4 million customers/month for about $120 million/year - not pocket change but not in the billions.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Lol, I keep up with the front page;) thanks, but that (very well written and knowledgable article) is subject to risk and is forward "looking" only. I would recommend stock in Verizon if you can hang for at least three years, I just would not say that a guarantee to negate fees exist. Anyone who defends Verizon's fees may as well join the 1% and say all companies should gouge us and therefore we should invest in them. I am with the 99%.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It has nothing to do with greed and everything to do with maximizing shareholder value. That is why corporations exist.

Looks as if they are considering they are up this year. Charging me to pay you comes across as greed to me. Lol That's maximizing your piggy bank for something that was deemed unnecessary which is why they weren't allowed to do it. Companies would charge us for Googling them to maximize shareholders value. Doesn't mean its right.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Lol, I keep up with the front page;) thanks, but that (very well written and knowledgable article) is subject to risk and is forward "looking" only. I would recommend stock in Verizon if you can hang for at least three years, I just would not say that a guarantee to negate fees exist. Anyone who defends Verizon's fees may as well join the 1% and say all companies should gouge us and therefore we should invest in them. I am with the 99%.

Everything you do and don't do carries risk. And with all due respect and with complete sincerity, with that attitude, you will always be in the 99%

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks as if they are considering they are up this year. Charging me to pay you comes across as greed to me. Lol That's maximizing your piggy bank for something that was deemed unnecessary which is why they weren't allowed to do it. Companies would charge us for Googling them to maximize shareholders value. Doesn't mean its right.

Everyone charges you to pay them.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Everyone charges you to pay them.

Um no... lol nice try though... The companies that I pay do not charge me to pay them... Well unless Im late of course but then that falls on me which I have no problem with.. Some try but I rather not give away money so I dont do business with them.. If im paying you for my car note and its on time im not giving you anything else but the amount of my car note.. Just my logic but people can continue to support those practices, thats why some companies keep doing it... You can always vote with your wallet...

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Everything you do and don't do carries risk. And with all due respect and with complete sincerity, with that attitude, you will always be in the 99%

I know you ain't the 1% LMAO. There are about 7 and they aren't on AC. Anyway....hell yes I will always be 99%.
That is just reality. Besides, I am plenty good thank you, I enjoy life on a grand level. If I decided to believe my % was dependent on what you say, I would, but I don't ha ha. Thanks for the personal advice dude. Virgin mobile for life bahahahaha.....

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Why do people defend huge fees charged by companies? Unless you are employed by them right? Bottom line is if the fee is to cover services like workshops, and you have not used those services, why should you have to pay? Wait a minute, I bet that point has been made in this thread already....lol. You pay for what you get, or not sometimes. Voting with the wallet is best. Wow, what a thread.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Your math is WAY OFF - it's $30 for upgrades. With 100,000,000 customers upgrading every two years you're looking at 4 million customers/month for about $120 million/year - not pocket change but not in the billions.

What are you talking about? I was talking about Verizon's financial results. It's clear as day in the post

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's BS thats what it is .I got a phone due for an upgrade now but nothing I wana upgrade it to is available yet.
When there is they will be a added fee ,I dont know what am going to do maybe nothing as in not upgrading any more phones .
/rant
Im not paying an extra 30 dollars !
Who does vzw think it is !
What is that 30 bucks doing that they are Not suppose to already be doing ??
Does that mean VZW is really not providing customers with the level of service and support that customers have already paid to expect already ?
I'm not made outta money :-$
Iz got to think of a plan around this
/end rant
O:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.0.2

Wow! VZW has a duty to its investor's to make money and turn a profit. Looks to me that is what they are attempting to do.
VZW isn't forcing you or anyone to sign a two year contract or purchase through their programs.

If you dislike their terms it seems to me you have a couple of options. You can purchase the phone outright. Or you can take your business elsewhere.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why do people defend huge fees charged by companies? Unless you are employed by them right? Bottom line is if the fee is to cover services like workshops, and you have not used those services, why should you have to pay? Wait a minute, I bet that point has been made in this thread already....lol. You pay for what you get, or not sometimes. Voting with the wallet is best. Wow, what a thread.

Why do people get irrational over new fees?

Why do you consider people presenting information about fees to be defending those fees?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I am not employed by Verizon Wireless. And I don't like the new fee.

But I'm probably going to re-up with them when my contract is up. If I cared enough about the fee, I'd switch carriers.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
That's why I'd just buy my next phone outright. I know its way more then 30 bucks but just outta principal. They are charging an extra $30 for you to sign a contract. Should be the other way around.

LMAO yeah that will teach that big bad VZW. Spend 500 bucks of your own money to keep 30 away from VZW lmao Brilliant!!!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am not employed by Verizon Wireless. And I don't like the new fee.

But I'm probably going to re-up with them when my contract is up. If I cared enough about the fee, I'd switch carriers.

Oh for sure, I am of the exact same sentiment.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Why do people get irrational over new fees?

Why do you consider people presenting information about fees to be defending those fees?

Irrational? Don't know about that, sure some may. You probably see the crap that goes down in Verizon's stores. Let's just say everyone doesn't walk away a happy camper. I always do, and Verizon treats me well, they always have.

Nothing wrong with presented information, just do your own research and arm yourself with facts.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow! VZW has a duty to its investor's to make money and turn a profit. Looks to me that is what they are attempting to do.
VZW isn't forcing you or anyone to sign a two year contract or purchase through their programs.

If you dislike their terms it seems to me you have a couple of options. You can purchase the phone outright. Or you can take your business elsewhere.
Armchair economist!:-$ Why don't we all thank VZW and apologize to them for adding a $30 fee on us?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Well obviously we dont agree,,, vzw already turns big profit.
Just wait til they discontinue all those grandfathered into the unlimited data package as well.Cuz its gunno happen sometime too.lol

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well obviously we dont agree,,, vzw already turns big profit.
Just wait til they discontinue all those grandfathered into the unlimited data package as well.Cuz its gunno happen sometime too.lol

When they do that, invest! OMG, we should all get Verizon to fee up and negate niceities of data, throw a party and throw them more money:mad: