WTH is Verizon up to?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And that is what's happening now. Just look at some of the comments in this thread: 'Oh well, it's just $30'....'Verizon is taking a huge loss, they need to do this'.... 'Stop whining'.... 'If you don't like it go somewhere else'....

When consumers get complacent, it gives big business free reign to charge more without doing anything. This isn't a small incremental fee, IT'S $30.00! Next will come mandatory data caps, than they will re-jigger the pricing structure to their benefit, then the subsidized price for the phone will magically increase again, then another post-post 9/11 fee.... WHEN DOES IT STOP???? Answer: Never. As long as we continue to take the casual, capitulating "bend over and take it" armchair stockholder approach.

Exactly, the complacent people that say Verizon don't care, don't listen, just get used to it, should have to pay every fee known to mankind. FACT is Verizon cares about its customer base. They have bent over backwards to keep me satisfied on a few occasions and I saved hundreds of dollars using my voice and knowing Verizon values me as a consumer.

Sad day indeed when people bend over and take it, and even worse, from their chair tell others to do the same and just take It because it is a nessesity of the CORP and the customers voice doesn't matter. I mean this on a fundamental level, people that think clients don't have a voice, or that it doesn't matter, or that they need to become market analyst to compensate....are dead wrong.

I have worked for some awesome companies, and they are of the philosophy that the customer is always right. If I walk into a Verizon store and upgrade today and Verizon explains the value of the fee well enough for me to believe it is needed for my good service and that the fee is a nessesity, so be it. I think we all agree it is the principal here, not the subject matter. Nothing wrong with thoughtful inquiry.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Verizon could care less about how much people piss and moan as long as they keep their service.
At this point I would guess that they feel the fee will not hurt them or they wouldn't do it.
Like it or not they are a business and will make as much money off the consumer as possible.
In my area Verizon offers the best service period, nobody else has coverage near as good. Many businesses want to charge more for less, Verizon is charging for the best. Problem is they know they have is over a barrel and take advantage of that fact.
Do I like or agree with this new fee? NO, I don't, but what an I going to do? Cancel with Verizon and pay a 36 dollar upgrade fee to a company with inferior service. Sure sounds good let's cut off the nose to spite the face.
Hopefully this fee will be reconsidered and never implemented, but if so I fear Verizon will just think of a new way to gouge us a little more, because they know they offer the best coverage available.
Until another phone company steps up with coverage as good as Verizon's and causes some competition I fear we are in for alot more nickel and dime bs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I respect your position as opposed to the 'shut up and stop whining'...'take it up the @$$' crowd that defend Verizon and take an "elitest" tone to anyone who would voice any displeasure at the $30 fee. You are right - they do have the best coverage and there is no disputing that. But the time will come where they will kill the goose that lays the golden egg. I agree with a previous poster who said that grandfathered data is in the crosshairs, and when that happens Verizon will have un-differentiated itself from all the other carriers. And if LTE turns out to be what they are hoping, service will be equal all across the board with all carriers hopefully opening up competition for our business again.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
''shut up and stop whining'...'take it up the @$$' crowd that defend Verizon and take an "elitest" tone to anyone who would voice any displeasure at the $30 fee.

Yes sir, they make the hair on the back of my neck crawl. PeEw...."pinches nose."

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, the complacent people that say Verizon don't care, don't listen, just get used to it, should have to pay every fee known to mankind. FACT is Verizon cares about its customer base. They have bent over backwards to keep me satisfied on a few occasions and I saved hundreds of dollars using my voice and knowing Verizon values me as a consumer.

Sad day indeed when people bend over and take it, and even worse, from their chair tell others to do the same and just take It because it is a nessesity of the CORP and the customers voice doesn't matter. I mean this on a fundamental level, people that think clients don't have a voice, or that it doesn't matter, or that they need to become market analyst to compensate....are dead wrong.

I have worked for some awesome companies, and they are of the philosophy that the customer is always right. If I walk into a Verizon store and upgrade today and Verizon explains the value of the fee well enough for me to believe it is needed for my good service and that the fee is a nessesity, so be it. I think we all agree it is the principal here, not the subject matter. Nothing wrong with thoughtful inquiry.
When Bank of America tried instituting a $5 debit card fee just last year, it seemed like there would be rioting in the streets (probably even among some members here) and fears that every other bank would follow suit. Even members of Congress got involved. When that happened, BofA backed down. But when cell phone carriers want to tack on more, and more, and more - for the same service - many prefer to just remain silent. Verizon must have some pretty powerful lobbyists for this to barely make news.

Last edited:

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Um no... lol nice try though... The companies that I pay do not charge me to pay them... Well unless Im late of course but then that falls on me which I have no problem with.. Some try but I rather not give away money so I dont do business with them.. If im paying you for my car note and its on time im not giving you anything else but the amount of my car note.. Just my logic but people can continue to support those practices, thats why some companies keep doing it... You can always vote with your wallet...
All companies embed transaction costs and payment methods into their pricing to pay the overhead. Just because you don't see it or pay it as a transaction on the spot, I promise it's in there.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not employed by Verizon Wireless. And I don't like the new fee.

But I'm probably going to re-up with them when my contract is up. If I cared enough about the fee, I'd switch carriers.

That's why they do it. I will pay it, or buy outright, or pay it, then complain and have it reversed.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
And that is what's happening now. Just look at some of the comments in this thread: 'Oh well, it's just $30'....'Verizon is taking a huge loss, they need to do this'.... 'Stop whining'.... 'If you don't like it go somewhere else'....

When consumers get complacent, it gives big business free reign to charge more without doing anything. This isn't a small incremental fee, IT'S $30.00! Next will come mandatory data caps, than they will re-jigger the pricing structure to their benefit, then the subsidized price for the phone will magically increase again, then another post-post 9/11 fee.... WHEN DOES IT STOP???? Answer: Never. As long as we continue to take the casual, capitulating "bend over and take it" armchair stockholder approach.

You don't have to bend over and take it, people. Invest your money in VZ and let the benefits of being a shareholder pay the fee for you.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
When Bank of America tried instituting a $5 debit card fee just last year, it seemed like there would be rioting in the streets (probably even among some members here) and fears that every other bank would follow suit. Even members of Congress got involved. When that happened, BofA backed down. But when cell phone carriers want to tack on more, and more, and more - for the same service - many prefer to just remain silent. Verizon must have some pretty powerful lobbyists for this to barely make news.
BofA has just shifted that expected revenue to increased credit card interest rates.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Verizon could care less about how much people piss and moan as long as they keep their service.
At this point I would guess that they feel the fee will not hurt them or they wouldn't do it.
Like it or not they are a business and will make as much money off the consumer as possible.
In my area Verizon offers the best service period, nobody else has coverage near as good. Many businesses want to charge more for less, Verizon is charging for the best. Problem is they know they have is over a barrel and take advantage of that fact.
Do I like or agree with this new fee? NO, I don't, but what an I going to do? Cancel with Verizon and pay a 36 dollar upgrade fee to a company with inferior service. Sure sounds good let's cut off the nose to spite the face.
Hopefully this fee will be reconsidered and never implemented, but if so I fear Verizon will just think of a new way to gouge us a little more, because they know they offer the best coverage available.
Until another phone company steps up with coverage as good as Verizon's and causes some competition I fear we are in for alot more nickel and dime bs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree... All of them charge it or will sooner or later.. Truthfully I liked sprint but their data speed was horrible so I came to VZW... I got unlimited data as of right now and decent service despite the nexus radios sucking and them not addressing it but thats a story for another day lol.. Once they decide they want to screw with my unlimited then I will dip out to sprint if they have their LTE rolled out in alot of places... Im not going to pay a 30 dollar fee with limited data so ill vote with my wallet.. But right now it just doesnt make sense to jump to at&T with the same fee and less data or Sprint with Unlimited data but a piss poor 3g network and wimax that cant penetrate a wet paper bag...

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree... All of them charge it or will sooner or later.. Truthfully I liked sprint but their data speed was horrible so I came to VZW... I got unlimited data as of right now and decent service despite the nexus radios sucking and them not addressing it but thats a story for another day lol.. Once they decide they want to screw with my unlimited then I will dip out to sprint if they have their LTE rolled out in alot of places... Im not going to pay a 30 dollar fee with limited data so ill vote with my wallet.. But right now it just doesnt make sense to jump to at&T with the same fee and less data or Sprint with Unlimited data but a piss poor 3g network and wimax that cant penetrate a wet paper bag...

Root and upgrade your radio

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
All companies embed transaction costs and payment methods into their pricing to pay the overhead. Just because you don't see it or pay it as a transaction on the spot, I promise it's in there.

Well then if the transaction costs are already embedded into their pricing why try and charge for it again?? Thats greed and trying to make an easy profit... See where im going, companies dont care about us.. We are a number, we are dollar signs, and they could care less if we go broke paying for their service. We cant just let them charge a fee for everything.. In this case I personally believe its going to be an industry standard so you wont be able to avoid it anyway unless you buy outright which I probably will continue to do anyway because I change phones alot and its cheaper.. But for the lady ill probably have to deal with it..

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well then if the transaction costs are already embedded into their pricing why try and charge for it again?? Thats greed and trying to make an easy profit... See where im going, companies dont care about us.. We are a number, we are dollar signs, and they could care less if we go broke paying for their service. We cant just let them charge a fee for everything.. In this case I personally believe its going to be an industry standard so you wont be able to avoid it anyway unless you buy outright which I probably will continue to do anyway because I change phones alot and its cheaper.. But for the lady ill probably have to deal with it..

Because they can.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Root and upgrade your radio

I think I may just wait.. Ive been so busy I havent had the time, plus some people have been saying the radio is a little better but not by much... I dont know who is right so ill just wait.. Well unless they take another month then ill just do it... Ive been waiting 4 months so might as well give them till May but after that ill have too.. I just feel bad for people that dont want to root or are not savy..

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
S
I think I may just wait.. Ive been so busy I havent had the time, plus some people have been saying the radio is a little better but not by much... I dont know who is right so ill just wait.. Well unless they take another month then ill just do it... Ive been waiting 4 months so might as well give them till May but after that ill have too.. I just feel bad for people that dont want to root or are not savy..

It's better, but not perfect. I believe Moto has the best radios. Rooting, rom-ing, and upgrading the radio will completely change the user experience for the better. It really makes that much of a difference in my opinion. Especially on this particular phone.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to bend over and take it, people. Invest your money in VZ and let the benefits of being a shareholder pay the fee for you.
Yeah, right.:confused: EVERYTHING that goes up will come crashing down - in a ball of flames. I predict that the widespread adoption of LTE will "even" the playing field all across the service providers in the next 2-3 years. When everyone can provide reliable coast to coast service with the uniform LTE standard, it'll be interesting to see what that does to competition.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, right.:confused: EVERYTHING that goes up will come crashing down - in a ball of flames. I predict that the widespread adoption of LTE will "even" the playing field all across the service providers in the next 2-3 years. When everyone can provide reliable coast to coast service with the uniform LTE standard, it'll be interesting to see what that does to competition.

Yes, common stocks will go up, and come down. Then what? Stay down? Forever? Mayan calendar? Y2K? World comes to an end? Sold your Apple or Google stock in 2008? How well did that work out? Competition? AT&T is on par with VZ as an investment. Sprint? Not so much, but if your theory is correct about LTE, you should be buying Sprint hand over fist. The competition will help the consumer in the long run as far as pricing. Telecoms are becoming as reliable as utilities these days. They are quasi-commodities. There are people, many of whom, as crazy as it sounds, who won't pay their light bill, but just seem not to be able to let go of that iPhone. People on food stamps, welfare, etc...have smartphones! It's amazing!! This board is full of idealistic college students who have no money, but somehow, some way they have the latest and greatest gadget and the service that comes with it. Instead of being a doomsdayer, embrace the technological revolution and participate in the wealth creation that comes from it. Be optimistic about the future. How about a quote from Yoda: “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Extremely corny, but wise. If someone feels as if a company like VZ is raping them financially, isn't absurd not to participate as a creditor instead of just a debtor? If you pay for Exxon gas, buy Exxon stock. If you shop at Wal-Mart, own their stock. You can and will mitigate the financial impact of those you pay when and if you are an owner of those businesses as well.

Last edited:

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Telecoms are becoming as reliable as utilities these days. They are quasi-commodities. There are people, many of whom, as crazy as it sounds, who won't pay their light bill, but just seem not to be able to let go of that iPhone. People on food stamps, welfare, etc...have smartphones! It's amazing!! This board is full of idealistic college students who have no money, but somehow, some way they have the latest and greatest gadget and the service that comes with it.

Great point. I have a couple of friends on welfare and one has an iphone the other an og droid. So they spend their precious welfare money on smartphone subscriptions.

Hmm maybe a trip to the stockboker is in order. :)

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Great point. I have a couple of friends on welfare and one has an iphone the other an og droid. So they spend their precious welfare money on smartphone subscriptions.

Hmm maybe a trip to the stockboker is in order. :)

Remember this: Past performance is not indicative of future results, and only invest money in stocks if you have at least 6 months of savings. The last thing you want to do is invest money that you need to live in case of an emergency. After that, you should be fine. Be prudent, not reckless.

Reactions: davey11

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" advice is the best advice in this thread.

When it's time to renew, tell them you don't want to because of this new fee.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think one reason this went unnoticed is because the other three carriers have similar fees in place (two of them at $36 and one at $18).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21