WTH is Verizon up to?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
!

That's your job that you chose to do. Doesn't matter if they come into an electronics store and ask for frogs. For you to tell people to not complain about the fee yet you complain about helping customers which is your job is just outright funny to me. If you don't like answering questions or helping people whether you like the question or not is kinda odd. Maybe a career change is in order.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Complaining to a VZW rep will do no good. They do not have any control over pricing and fees.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Complaining to a VZW rep will do no good. They do not have any control over pricing and fees.

According to his post he said "I don't care what their complaints are" I'd say that's a horrible attitude to have as a CSR.. Working as a quality assurance manager I'd hate for one of my reps to say something like that. I'm sure you wouldn't want to call somewhere and have them not care what was going on in your specific situation. Just sayin...

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
According to his post he said "I don't care what their complaints are" I'd say that's a horrible attitude to have as a CSR.. Working as a quality assurance manager I'd hate for one of my reps to say something like that. I'm sure you wouldn't want to call somewhere and have them not care what was going on in your specific situation. Just sayin...

Yeah, it's sad how some of these customer service rep handle their customer complaints. They think by just denying any ability to fix issues that is a solution . I bet they won't keep a customer base like they use to.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
When I first started this thread, I was pissed, but after a few days kinda mellowed out. I spent $80 the other night on a dinner with a friend. So $30? Ahh I can live with that.

Gotta admit lte is the bomb on vz and their footprint is so huge. They got the best network. Atts 4g footprint is so small as soon as you leave a 4g area its toast. Don't even mention t- mo and sprint.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

So change the Title from WTF, to MSH (Me So Happy!) Lolz! I kid I kid;)

Remember, every VZW Rep has a boss that can adjust things. Don't be a sheep, speak up.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

You've obviously never worked in a retail environment...

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but you also aren't getting a discount on that $80 meal, you are getting a discount on a $650+ phone though.
Can we all admit that phone manufacturers are part of the blame here in their pricing for phones? Cmon.....$650.00+ off-contract? Or, do some of you here defend this type of stratospheric pricing as being "necessary" as well. All of the phone manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Nokia, ect...) consider their main competitor to be Apple, which, in turn should force them to be more competitive, but actually, all of them want to be just like Apple in their pricing and manufacturing. Where's the competition??? If I had to guess, I would say that there is probably a drastic 100-200% markup in the way manufacturers price their phones. Then down the line, the carriers get to decide how much they will subsidize. At first, and as of recent, $200.00 was sufficient for the price of being rewarded with a new contract (yes, we reward them as well...it's a symbiotic relationship, not one-sided). Then, they decided out of nowhere that $300.00 was in order. I didn't like it, but I paid it. Let's say 6 months from now they decide $300.00 is no longer enough for them...now they need $375.00. Shortly after that, the other carriers will follow suit. There is nothing but collusion all across the board, and an army of capitulating suckers all too willing expose their necks to give them everything they want for the "privilege" of paying $200.00 less for an insanely priced iPhone or [insert smartphone of choice].

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Can we all admit that phone manufacturers are part of the blame here in their pricing for phones? Cmon.....$650.00+ off-contract? Or, do some of you here defend this type of stratospheric pricing as being "necessary" as well. All of the phone manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Nokia, ect...) consider their main competitor to be Apple, which, in turn should force them to be more competitive, but actually, all of them want to be just like Apple in their pricing and manufacturing. Where's the competition??? If I had to guess, I would say that there is probably a drastic 100-200% markup in the way manufacturers price their phones. Then down the line, the carriers get to decide how much they will subsidize. At first, and as of recent, $200.00 was sufficient for the price of being rewarded with a new contract (yes, we reward them as well...it's a symbiotic relationship, not one-sided). Then, they decided out of nowhere that $300.00 was in order. I didn't like it, but I paid it. Let's say 6 months from now they decide $300.00 is no longer enough for them...now they need $375.00. Shortly after that, the other carriers will follow suit. There is nothing but collusion all across the board, and an army of capitulating suckers all too willing expose their necks to give them everything they want for the "privilege" of paying $200.00 less for an insanely priced iPhone or [insert smartphone of choice].

It is supply and demand. High demand for smartphones = high prices. Look at TV pricing. Now that virtually everyone has a widescreen, flat-panel HD TV, in some cases multiple ones, the prices have come down. Innovation is to blame as well. Eventually, the advancements in technology will only go so far and you will see less and less advancement, thus lower prices. Example: all the new phones are touting dual-core processors. You have people wanting quad-core, yet many have argued that quad-core maybe overkill or unnecessary. If that is true, and dual-core is the standard, eventually all the prices for dual core chips will come down as less people are upgrading to dual core, because they already have it. Pay attention to the comments coming out of CTIA. You should see carrier executives addressing the idea that smartphone prices will start to drop.

Reactions: Johnly

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
According to Verizon, my wife is due for an upgrade right now and Verizon, of course, will renew the contract. Only thing is, my wife will keep a phone for 4 years before she decides she might want another. Right now, Verizon is sending her offer after offer in the mail to upgrade to a new phone, but she's not budging. Two weeks ago, she even got a courtesy call from a VZW CSR with an incentive offer to upgrade. This tells me how desperate - not just VZW - but all the carriers are to put you in a new contract. This time however, I will just start waiting for phone prices to drop, and buy them outright. The Galaxy Nexus was around $800.00 when it first came out, but now (not even a yr. later) it can be had for around $425.00 w/o a contract. This seems to be the best option to turn the tables, and put Verizon over a barrel. The way I look at it, I pay $100-$150 at most over their exorbitant $300(subsidized) + $30(upgrade fee), and I am not bothered with a contract, and in the process make VZW work their sweet @$$3$ off to keep my out-of-contract business. If enough people do this maybe Verizon will start to sweat a little more and maybe some sanity reintroduced back into the cell phone market.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could hold on to a phone for 4 years. I'm lucky if I do 8 months. In my current 2 year contract, I started with the Fascinate, then purchased a Charge and the GN for full price. Big bucks for phones I didn't need but just had to have. ;-P

Gas prices here in Hawaii are approaching 5 bucks a gallon. ($4.94 for super) I bit** and moan but I pay cos if I don't, I don't get to work to make money for gas. lol
30 bucks? Yea I'll bit** and moan but cell phones nowadays are a pretty essential piece of tech we must have.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
@kalexan9: That's a pretty smart strategy but people like your wife are few and far between though. The bad news is that with Verizon you pay the same month to month as you do with a contract. When you renew for 2 years everybody gets their little fee/commision. I think the salesperson at the store even gets a little chunk if they can sell you a case or a car charger that day. Only Tmobile will reduce your monthly bill if you opt to not upgrade and go month to month. When you go month to month the only advantage you have is that you can jump ship and get an upgrade with ATT and bite on one of their ads. That's what I did: I jumped to Verizon for the HTC Incredible. It's what makes these carriers competitive. We need more of that, not less.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
According to Verizon, my wife is due for an upgrade right now and Verizon, of course, will renew the contract. Only thing is, my wife will keep a phone for 4 years before she decides she might want another. Right now, Verizon is sending her offer after offer in the mail to upgrade to a new phone, but she's not budging. Two weeks ago, she even got a courtesy call from a VZW CSR with an incentive offer to upgrade. This tells me how desperate - not just VZW - but all the carriers are to put you in a new contract. This time however, I will just start waiting for phone prices to drop, and buy them outright. The Galaxy Nexus was around $800.00 when it first came out, but now (not even a yr. later) it can be had for around $425.00 w/o a contract. This seems to be the best option to turn the tables, and put Verizon over a barrel. The way I look at it, I pay $100-$150 at most over their exorbitant $300(subsidized) + $30(upgrade fee), and I am not bothered with a contract, and in the process make VZW work their sweet @$$3$ off to keep my out-of-contract business. If enough people do this maybe Verizon will start to sweat a little more and maybe some sanity reintroduced back into the cell phone market.

This is very true... Its just hard for people to wait on a phone... But if you can wait this is the perfect way to go.. Cell phone prices drop fast because of how fast the market moves... Craigslist is full of phones if you wait 3-4 months after they release.. Plus employees post their phones for sale all the time.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
@kalexan9: That's a pretty smart strategy but people like your wife are few and far between though. The bad news is that with Verizon you pay the same month to month as you do with a contract. When you renew for 2 years everybody gets their little fee/commision. I think the salesperson at the store even gets a little chunk if they can sell you a case or a car charger that day. Only Tmobile will reduce your monthly bill if you opt to not upgrade and go month to month. When you go month to month the only advantage you have is that you can jump ship and get an upgrade with ATT and bite on one of their ads. That's what I did: I jumped to Verizon for the HTC Incredible. It's what makes these carriers competitive. We need more of that, not less.
Thanks. Even though I won't pay any less month to month, just knowing that VZW is sweating a little knowing that my wife and I can jump penalty-free somewhere else at any time is enough satisfaction for me. I know that, to VZW, we are just 2 small fish in their vast cellular ocean, but it's the only way we can fight back.

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
This is very true... Its just hard for people to wait on a phone... But if you can wait this is the perfect way to go.. Cell phone prices drop fast because of how fast the market moves... Craigslist is full of phones if you wait 3-4 months after they release.. Plus employees post their phones for sale all the time.
Unless I'm mistaken, personally, I don't see how much more smartphones can evolve. Quad-core will probably be overkill, "old" phones support new app development, and many people are content with 3G. Once 4G gets on solid ground, I bet more people will find that they can hold on to a phone for 2 years. And that will definately tame the market.:)

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
You've obviously never worked in a retail environment...

Funny you should say that because I have.. You should have known id have a customer service background based on the fact that I said im a quality assurance manager.. You know that little statement they say almost every time you call someone, you know that part that says "This call may be recorded for quality assurance" Yeah thats what I do lol Um and also I used to work with AT&T and as a csr you actually had alot of power to do something.. We used to be in a position to credit up to 100.00 if the reason was justified.. Also as someone mentioned their are managers that can do more if its for a legit reason.. For example someone has been with AT&T for 10 years and have 5 lines.. They threaten to leave if you didnt waive the old 18 dollar upgrade fee or whatever it was at that time for at least 3 lines... We could do that because the money we generate off of that customer for 2 years is more worth it then the stupid 54.00 we would make in that instance. So actually some customers do have an influence if they speak up.. Its not every case but sometimes it works in your favor to actually say something if you dont agree... As a CSR too you shouldnt have a negative outlook on actually helping people considering you submitted your resume to do that.. If you dont like it go work behind the scenes where you dont have to deal with people. It will make u happy and the customers.. Just because with me personally I hate people that dont know what they are talking about and dont care to find out, which we ding in calls all the time. Then there are the people that just have bad attitudes which piss off customers.. Tone and delivery can make a big difference even if you cant do anything about the fee..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When fees and such get waived, does it hurt the store or rep with regards to performance metrics?