carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
What is the best way backup my SD card when flashing a new rom? When I go to copy everything over to a folder on my PC it doesn't copy everything, only a few folders?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I used to take the card out, mount it on my PC and copy everything.

Flashing a ROM shouldn't do anything to your sdcard.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware of that.
For whatever reason I wasn't thinking that you had a Nexus.
I plug mine in using the USB cable, drag and drop to my PC.

I tried that, for some reason my computer tells me there's an hour remaining. Then five minutes later the transfer window closes and when I look it didn't transfer everything

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried that, for some reason my computer tells me there's an hour remaining. Then five minutes later the transfer window closes and when I look it didn't transfer everything

Some Nexus owners have had trouble transferring files with USB, some of them had better luck switching cables.
You can try a few folders at a time, you can also try wifi transfers but that takes longer.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Some Nexus owners have had trouble transferring files with USB, some of them had better luck switching cables.
You can try a few folders at a time, you can also try wifi transfers but that takes longer.

^this.

Do a few folders/files at a time, works for me. And if you want to try wireless transfer, AirDroid is free and works great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: carracerz14

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're on a Mac, the transfer requires the Android File Transfer application. It's a big pain but it can get the job done with patience.

Regardless, when transferring don't try a one-shot gig. Like ragnarok said, a few files/folders/big things at a time so it doesn't lock up. Trust me, I tried transferring the whole shebang in one shot and it was a horrifying experience.

Also, the only thing that's going to wipe the /sdcard folder is unlocking/relocking or a specific script that wipes it. Roms/flashing will not, unless they're .zips of insanity and destruction ;).

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If you're on a Mac, the transfer requires the Android File Transfer application. It's a big pain but it can get the job done with patience.

Regardless, when transferring don't try a one-shot gig. Like ragnarok said, a few files/folders/big things at a time so it doesn't lock up. Trust me, I tried transferring the whole shebang in one shot and it was a horrifying experience.

Also, the only thing that's going to wipe the /sdcard folder is unlocking/relocking or a specific script that wipes it. Roms/flashing will not, unless they're .zips of insanity and destruction ;).

I did not know that, I figured if I flashed a new rom it would wipe everything.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I did not know that, I figured if I flashed a new rom it would wipe everything.

Nope. Just unlocking/relocking or taking back completely to stock. Now like I said, you can do it--there are "cleaners" out there that do that--but the SDcard remains constant whilst flashing.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
say... are the wireless methods more reliable? I have seen people recommend AirDroid. does it work in one shot, even if it is slower? if I can set it and forget it (until it is done) than I'm okay with that.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I use ES file explorer for wifi transfers.
It also has a root explorer, FTP, has a plug-in for a task manager, movie and pic viewer, etc.

I can't say wifi transfers are more reliable since I don't have problems using USB. I think you need to decide that for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton