Nexus first time user...

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone... just made the trip back from the dark side (iPhone 4s)... so I am loving the nexus but I hate dealing with the signal reception...I live in a 4g area but only have strong 4g signal about 50% of the time... my wife has a rezound and I am jealous to death of her strong signal reception...

I want to install ICS 4.0.4 without ruining my chances of later installing the official verizon build... I only want to do this because I hear that the radios have been fixed... can anyone confirm this? Also, what is the best way of getting 4.0.4? Root and unlock? Root only?

Ur advice would be appreciated...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever rooted/unlocked an Android device before?

Some folks unlock and flash the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, others unlock, root, and flash 4.0.4 based roms.

I've done the latter and have had the 4.0.4 radios for months now; the improvement is noticeable, at least for me.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone... just made the trip back from the dark side (iPhone 4s)... so I am loving the nexus but I hate dealing with the signal reception...I live in a 4g area but only have strong 4g signal about 50% of the time... my wife has a rezound and I am jealous to death of her strong signal reception...

I want to install ICS 4.0.4 without ruining my chances of later installing the official verizon build... I only want to do this because I hear that the radios have been fixed... can anyone confirm this? Also, what is the best way of getting 4.0.4? Root and unlock? Root only?

After unlocking and installing cwm recovery, here are all the latest radios with easy cwm flashes.
[RADIOS][Galaxy Nexus] All available radios/basebands - Galaxy Nexus [CDMA] - RootzWiki

Installing a stock 404 build is fine, although I would suggest doing a custom 404 rom like aokp, liquid etc.
The user experience is like night and day over stock.

Reactions: dmmarck

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Are you dropping calls?

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I drop calls and data connections all the time. So much so that I am considering breaking my contract when Sprints new phones are released. I love the phone other than that but its kind of a deal breaker.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
404 radios are a lot better.

I went back to stock, but my data kept dropping. Flashed back to 4.0.4, and it's been great!

I would unlock the bootloader, root, and load up gummy 1.0 or AOKP build 32.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
4.0.4 radios are much better. i was about 50/50 between LTE and 3g when i was stock...not with the 4.0.4 radios i am fore like 90/10 LTE/3g. it made holding a LTE connection much better.

i personally unlocked, rooted and flashed the radios and am currently running AOKP build 31. but i never intended to take the OTA (its always flashable through custom recovery on the date it is pushed out anyway) so this may not be the rout you want to take, its just the one i took.....and i am loving every minute of this phone :)

CHIN087#AC

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I've also noticed that the signal on this thing is really wonky. Side by side with my gf's iphone 4 she gets 4 bars 3G and my nexus only gets about maybe 2 bars... :/

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not dropping any calls... but its annoying that although I am in a 4g area... my phone is constantly searching for that 4g signal...

C'mon... yesterday after seeing complain about the reception my girl looks at me and says, "ur phone sucks"... that really pissed me of... I couldn't argue specially after I made a big deal about the nexus...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not dropping any calls... but its annoying that although I am in a 4g area... my phone is constantly searching for that 4g signal...

C'mon... yesterday after seeing complain about the reception my girl looks at me and says, "ur phone sucks"... that really pissed me of... I couldn't argue specially after I made a big deal about the nexus...

Well, you are getting 4G and she's not...;)

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever rooted/unlocked an Android device before?

Some folks unlock and flash the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, others unlock, root, and flash 4.0.4 based roms.

I've done the latter and have had the 4.0.4 radios for months now; the improvement is noticeable, at least for me.

I have flashed before on my unlocked and s-off thunderbolt... so I think I will be alright... I'm going to give that AOKP rom a look...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have flashed before on my unlocked and s-off thunderbolt... so I think I will be alright... I'm going to give that AOKP rom a look...

It's a good one, but remember you won't have the radios--they must be flashed separately.