Didn't want to be the one, but Sprint GN has 4.0.4....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

thebourbonnflip

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Lack of transparency from Verizon and Google can be a frustrating thing. Some official word on the update's progress (mind you, not asking for a ETA) may help to cool off some of this heat.

I'm personally happy with rooting and unlocking my device as it simply is the quickest way to get the latest, but I understand that it's not for everyone.

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
so as a developer device...how many of you actually make apps? i don't think you get to be called a developer just because you root and flash roms :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
so as a developer device...how many of you actually make apps? i don't think you get to be called a developer just because you root and flash roms :)

That's irrelevant ;). I would if I could, had time, etc. etc., yada yada.

My only point is that it having to be one thing or the other--developer or just consumer--ignores the actual stuff built into the device.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
No more whining about this.
Seriously.

You are a great example of what is wrong with the Android community.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: I didn't want to be the one that did this but...

If you buy a SGN and then fail to root it and install a custom ROM (a la Cyanogen), you need to sell your SGN and get an iPhone 4S.
Even if you want to run straight Google, there is the craiggomez rom which will get you 4.0.4, the new radios, and even the real google kernel. See [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers
No more whining about this.
Seriously.

If I don't want to flash custom ROMs, I should trade my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone? What dumb logic is this? EMBF

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
We will always have those spewing the developer phone position that you should load a ROM or have no right to complain. I suppose it makes them feel superior in some fashion or other. But to the topic of Sprint GNEX users getting 4.04 before us, how many of them will have 4G LTE service? Is that crickets I hear?

Reactions: Channan

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
That's irrelevant ;). I would if I could, had time, etc. etc., yada yada.

My only point is that it having to be one thing or the other--developer or just consumer--ignores the actual stuff built into the device.

I guess all I wanted to stress is how funny it is to hear all of these people who are not developers defending their purchases. Perhaps the right way to describe the gnex is a consumer phone with developer options. the marketing has not been buy this phone only if you are a developer...

I rooted and played the custom rom game on my Droid X before upgrading to the nexus. Honestly, I bought the phone because after my Dx I wanted stock android. The stock experience is supposedly more bug-free. this is generally true in comparing my gnex to my droid x. However, I can't get over the signal issues. We need new radios from Verizon (roms don't have them and the leaked radios have mixed reviews on rootzwiki).

--as a side note I know that my device isn't defective. In Iowa my reception was perfect.

Also, after studying more computer science I am very skeptical of the roms. A lot of users talk about the devs as if they've found the secret to make android fluid. All of the scripts which make the phone "faster" are debatable. I would cite adrenyline talking about droidtheory as evidence.

Maybe I should flash stock 4.0.4.

veloslave#AC

Banned
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Stunning logic, did you get that argument style from debate team or from the school of 13 year old MySpace users?

Click to view quoted image

Developer options for a phone not intended to be used by developers, only grandmothers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

That was a nice waste of a post...

Still haven't found a single instance of Verizon advertising or selling this as a "developer phone"?

Whether or not google has included developer options in their OS, which we all know it has, does NOT mean it was sold by Verizon as a "developer phone"

This phone was sold by Verizon as the next best/greatest handset plain and simple. They would lose a lot of sales if they marketed it as a Developer phone. Most people bought it exactly as that... a phone.

AND THEY EXPECT IT TO ACT LIKE ONE.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This phone was sold by Verizon as the next best/greatest handset plain and simple.
Actually, the Droid Razr was marketed by VZW as the next best/greatest. Google did the majority of marketing for the Nexus, as they always do for Nexii.

*customized tapatalk signature*

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The only people who think of phones in terms of development are geeks. The average user could care less; wouldn't even know about this sort of stuff.

You all are fighting over a phone! And at the end of the day, it's still a phone.

Sent from my rooted WHITE E4GT via TapaTalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol