Sluggish homescreen question

tobrizonwireless

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Simple question....When I hit the home key after I'm done using any app, the icons and widgets are very sluggish on reappearing on the screen....Does anyone know why this happens?

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
it happens because the OS sees the launcher as an app. when the OS sees that the available RAM is getting low, it starts killing off apps to get some more RAM...unfortunately it kills off the launcher. so when you hit "Home" it basically has to restart the app from scratch.

there are a couple things you can do to fix this.
1, reboot
2 remove apps you dont use...they may be opening on thier own taking up space.
3, if you are rooted you can follow these directions
open up a terminal emulator
type "su"
if a "#" appears, you are good.
then type "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop"
then reboot.
this should help out a lot.
basically, this moves the launcher to priority #1 so it will try to kill off that app last. by default, i believe it is #4 priority.

why this is still an issue with android is beyond me. seem like a simple fix for google....and a major annoyance for the end user. thankfully i haven't really noticed it much on this phone. but i have seen it, and experienced it a lot on my last 3 phones. the root method above usually helps A LOT

Reactions: makapav

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Also when you use Home you aren't exiting an app.. You're leaving it running in the background using resources. Always exit apps by hitting Back until you're back to the homescreen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Also when you use Home you aren't exiting an app.. You're leaving it running in the background using resources. Always exit apps by hitting Back until you're back to the homescreen.

whats the point in that? no point in closing an app completely unless it is hanging up on something or malfunctioning. closing apps every time you exit them is just like using task killers...it will eat up battery more than just leaving it "running" in the background.

the OP is using his phone the way android was intended to be used. there is just a small "FEATURE" of the OS that needs to be tweaked IMO :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
whats the point in that? no point in closing an app completely unless it is hanging up on something or malfunctioning. closing apps every time you exit them is just like using task killers...it will eat up battery more than just leaving it "running" in the background.

the OP is using his phone the way android was intended to be used. there is just a small "FEATURE" of the OS that needs to be tweaked IMO :)

No its completely different. You are correct that task killers cause more harm than good. Background tasks and services running is very different from leaving apps running in the background tho. Yes android is built to multitask but with a finite amount of memory and resources it is only logical that the more stuff you leave the running the more lag will build up.

Ask any developer, programmer, Google engineer, etc etc.. They will all agree with me.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No its completely different. You are correct that task killers cause more harm than good. Background tasks and services running is very different from leaving apps running in the background tho. Yes android is built to multitask but with a finite amount of memory and resources it is only logical that the more stuff you leave the running the more lag will build up.

Ask any developer, programmer, Google engineer, etc etc.. They will all agree with me.

no i totally agree with you on that. i thought you were saying do that for all your apps.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084