Is the Nexus too late in life cycle for new buyer?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let me add a wrinkle to this decision making process. I like to have as much information as possible when making a decision. Maybe you can help me.

She graduates in May. She's headed off to grad school. This phone should last her through grad school. This will be the last phone of hers that I pay for.

With that information in hand I'm not limited to sticking with Verizon. Verizon is the only mobile carrier I've ever used for smart phones so I don't know if it makes sense to limit my choices to them. Yes, it's a little cheaper using the family plan but maybe it makes sense to get her a Galaxy Note instead.

So, if you will indulge me, convince me that Verizon is the one to stay with.

If I stay with Verizon for her phone the reduced $199 price tag makes it easier to swallow. Add the almost $50 discount I get with Verizon the $150 or so price is pretty palatable for a 32gb phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let me add a wrinkle to this decision making process. I like to have as much information as possible when making a decision. Maybe you can help me.

She graduates in May. She's headed off to grad school. This phone should last her through grad school. This will be the last phone of hers that I pay for.

With that information in hand I'm not limited to sticking with Verizon. Verizon is the only mobile carrier I've ever used for smart phones so I don't know if it makes sense to limit my choices to them. Yes, it's a little cheaper using the family plan but maybe it makes sense to get her a Galaxy Note instead.

So, if you will indulge me, convince me that Verizon is the one to stay with.

If I stay with Verizon for her phone the reduced $199 price tag makes it easier to swallow. Add the almost $50 discount I get with Verizon the $150 or so price is pretty palatable for a 32gb phone.

Verizon has the best nationwide coverage of any carrier. That point might be arguable, but I'm somewhat in her category--I need a phone to last me, and b/c of the nature of my job, I'm all over. Regional carriers? Generally terrible from that regard. I need a big carrier who can cover me and who is expanding to every nook and cranny. With that said, I think ATT/Sprint have made headway, but I simply don't think they're as strong where I need. I've never had a problem with Verizon coverage--from Philly to Ann Arbor, Naples, Texas, DC, etc.

Not to mention, while I generally detest their CLN program, their service is good if you treat them right; if you stay, you get rewarded, and that's a neat thing IMHO.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just because you're contract is up doesn't mean you need a new phone.

And most of us waited for the GNex

And we got our phones in January, what better phone came out this month?

Try to tell one of your kids that they are not getting a phone when their contract is up and need to wait another 6 months and let me know how that works out.
I waited for the Nexus as well.
Personally, the timing was perfect for me. I had an OG Droid I was ready to put through the wall it was so irritating.
Not everyone wants a Nexus or ICS. The OP didn't mention how old his daughter was. In January, the Nexus was the best phone out. The OP is talking about May. Who knows what we be available in 3-4 weeks?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed the point earlier about her graduating. Duh. Anyways, the Nexus would be a good deal for $199.
At that age I would be wary about choosing a phone for someone else. It's not like buying a computer. Some people are really particular about their phone.
Good luck!

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's version of the Note will be the "Galaxy Journal" it should come out soon, or sometime this summer. The gnex will hold her down till then huh?

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Try to tell one of your kids that they are not getting a phone when their contract is up and need to wait another 6 months and let me know how that works out.

In our case we did that. My daughter's contract for her feature phone was up last November. We chose to use that open slot for my wife instead of my daughter. My daughter didn't mind at all. My kids are very generous that way.

The OP didn't mention how old his daughter was.

She's currently 22.

In January, the Nexus was the best phone out. The OP is talking about May. Who knows what we be available in 3-4 weeks?

As a general rule the road map is pretty set in stone 3 weeks in advance. Most new phones have been leaked out. Since I got my GN in December I haven't followed new phone announcements very closely and was wondering if anything new is out.

At that age I would be wary about choosing a phone for someone else. It's not like buying a computer. Some people are really particular about their phone.

Excellent point. She's the last of my 3 daughters to get a smart phone. She's very happy to have anything. We spent a lot of time over Christmas break looking at my GN and she really likes it a lot. That's why I think this will be a nice graduation gift.

Good luck!

Thanks.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My daughter will be in the market for a new phone in May. That's when her contract is up.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, my wife has a GN, one of my other daughters has a GN. I'm tempted to recommend a GN simply because we've had a great experience with the GN.

By mid-May the Galaxy Nexus will be 5 months old. That's midlife for most phones. Maybe nearing end of life for a lot of phones. However, I don't see a flurry of phones being introduced right now like I saw in December. If I didn't recommend the Nexus I wouldn't know what else to recommend. The Rezound and Razr Maxx are the same age as the GN and I wouldn't recommend them over the Nexus anyway.

So, if you were buying a phone today, which one would you buy? Or is there something spectacular on the horizon with Verizon that is worth waiting for?

Thanks for your help.
If we were talking about maybe a Motorola phone, I'd say yes. Hell, with Motorola, I think even before they release a phone it is nearly too late in the life cycle since they seem to have their next designed, manufactured and ready to go in the following month or two.

But, with the Nexus, there is still another several months conservatively.

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I would just add that with smartphones, it generally takes 3-6 months -after- release for the developers/manufacturers to work all the kinks out. By that standard, the GN is just now getting on its feet.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus is the most future proof device out right now until the next one. Get that for her :beer::):thumbup:

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

Hatecrime69

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been flirting with the idea of a GN, though my situation is a little different, back when my brother and mom went from their family account on at&t to our family account on verizon (where my dad has a corporate discount) they wanted to take advantage of the 2 for $199 droid 3 deal awhile back, i figured the droid 3 was overkill for my non-tech savvy mom so i offered to switch phones with her, letting her take my droid 1 and me take the droid 3. Though my mom just downgraded to a basic phone (she never really adjusted to a smartphone) my contract will end on the 7th when i could possibly pick a new phone, keeping in mind i have to wait past samsung's upcoming announcement anyway, would a GN be worth considering?

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sprint just released their version a week ago. Wouldn't say the Nexus is to late in life...

Look at the SGS2. The US released the phone months after the rest of the world got it and people were saying that we got the phone at end of life. The SGS2 still thrived and still thrives today in the flurry of new devices.

Some phones can withstand time and others cannot no matter what the specs involved are. A general rule is the Nexus line can withstand time even if other devices have better specs. The Nexus kind of sits in it's own niche market which makes it a great purchase.

Reactions: axne1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15