Good article I thought was interesting.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Soo true. I agree with the guy. Personally I dont think Verizon will ever see another Nexus. All they do is screw things up.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting read... if you get into reading a bunch of whining and gripes. I can get a lot of that here.

I think a good summary of the article is the good old statement of.... the grass is always greener.

I think some of us really kind of already knew that the update process for our device would be hindered because of VZW. There were only a few folks who didn't feel that and as I recall jumped all over people who had the nerve to push or question the issue.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Interesting read... if you get into reading a bunch of whining and gripes. I can get a lot of that here.

I think a good summary of the article is the good old statement of.... the grass is always greener.

I think some of us really kind of already knew that the update process for our device would be hindered because of VZW. There were only a few folks who didn't feel that and as I recall jumped all over people who had the nerve to push or question the issue.

It seems like having a iPhone is the only way to really stick it to Verizon. That is the one phone they have no control over.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
But.... it's still an iPhone :thumbdown:

As for the article, I can agree... but those of us that want to stick with VZW, this is the best we can do as far as a Nexus. What other choice of smartphone is there for the Android enthusiast on VZW? For me, there is no other choice.

I took the update frequency into my own hands. I don't think I'll ever rely on VZW for updates. I'll also always choose the device on VZW that best fits my geeky tendencies. Currently, it's the "Fake Nexus". It is currently THE MOST SUPPORTED device by the development community. For my personal use, that's the most important selling point... and that has nothing to do with Google, Verizon, or Samsung.

I started with the original Motorola Droid. That thing was awesome. MAJOR development support. It's what pushed me down the modding rabbit hole. Had a Bionic for a week and a half (yes, big mistake), then got a used Droid X because of 2nd init support. Now, my beloved Nexus... fake or otherwise.

I'm a geek. The words fasboot OEM unlock make me giddy. Would I prefer if VZW kept their dirty little fingers out of my pie by default? Sure. Not a problem though, because my default is to bypass them anyway.

I love my fake Nexus. AOKP + r143 + FA02 FTW :thumbup:

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: davey11

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Faux Nexus...sounds much more elegant. :cool:

But in my opinion, I wouldn't call it a fake Nexus because it most certainly is a Nexus device. I think something more apt would be "Semi-Nexus". It functions and looks like a Nexus, but the experience is incomplete because of Verizon's involvement in the update process. Ever since Google and Verizon included two carrier apps on the device, I kind of figured we weren't going to get a whole cohesive picture but something puzzled together. I'd wager to say we will most certainly get official Jellybean much later than our GSM brothers and sisters. Slow updates are a fact of life on Verizon, there's nothing new outside of peoples hopes for timely updates being dashed (Google pulling AOSP support was a punch to the gut but expected).

Regardless of all that, the fact that you have a choice in taking control of your device makes it a Nexus in my eyes. It's easy enough to cut out the middle man with this phone. Other devices have to jump through hoops and over hurdles to be able to do what is available to the Nexus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As I've said plenty of times...... Our nexus is still a nexus. Most people out here in the general section don't want to hear the spiel about what a DEVELOPMENT device means so I'll skip over that part.

OK other Nexii might get updates a bit quicker, other phones might technically ship with a more recent version of android.. Your nexus is still going to be updated past those phones. You will almost certainly be on 4.x.x (whatever it is in say, 6, 9, months, whatever) way before those other phones are. You will receive Jellybean before them as well.. and they might not even see it period.

Verizon has policies regarding pushing OTA updates. Many of them are Verizon's own, and whether or not you think its fair that you have to wait a bit, the system they use has gotten them to be the most reliable carrier, with the best service, biggest network, etc etc. Many of the policies are the FCC's and other regulatory bodies. A phone shipping with something is different than having an OTA pushed.. and plenty of regulations govern how much testing has to be done before a software update can be pushed OTA.

The big fat hairy point: Verizon is NOT sitting on the update to make you squirm, wriggle, post angry things in the forums, and lay awake at night crying. They didn't approve the update then stick it on some virtual shelf somewhere just because they don't care. It will get pushed when its good and ready and passes every test and rule they throw at it.

Your Nexus may take A LITTLE BIT LONGER (in the grand scheme of things) than some others to get updates, but this is kind of the price you pay for even getting to run a Nexus on the biggest and most reliable network, the biggest (by FAR) 4G network, etc. You have to wait a bit while they get updates approved... if you choose to wait until VZ pushes them, of course...here's that *hint hint* you have an easily unlockable device and can take matters into your own hand, grab the update from a selection of VERY stable and reliable ROMs and developers and do it yourself pretty gosh darn easily.... but that's not what I'm trying to make this about.

The update will be pushed when its ready, you will get more recent versions of android than any of the other phones out there and for a much longer time, and you will probably have to wait a little bit longer than other nexii to get them, but that's the small price you pay for being on this network.

Discuss :)

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Damn... maybe I should have read that article before posting. It sucks. My reply was based on the assumption that it was just an update " ".

Anyway, I stand by the rest of my previous post apart from possibly agreeing with the article. Yes, the ass in assume was I.

I wish Jerry would go ahead and post his full thoughts on G+... so I could post a link on androidandme.

robertllacy

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Some people don't understand that there is a difference between CDMA and GSM radio software that's going to put the GSM Nexus and CDMA Nexus (Sprint & Verizon) on different update schedules. Google can't do anything with the CDMA radios because that stuff is proprietary. That's why there was such a delay for ICS on the Nexus S 4G on Sprint.

Reactions: oxymoron

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Its funny because I agree about him wanting a update because there are some people affected by major problems with this phone.. Its not like they just want a update just to say they have the latest version, they want a update because 1 out of 4 times their mic cuts out on a call or they are doing something and their phone reboots.. That is annoying and im lucky to not suffer from reboots and I can live with the mic issue cuz im not a talker.. But someone who relies on their phone to talk or for business thats a major issue..

Now as far as being fake I dont know about all that.. I knew going in it wouldnt be on the same update schedule as the GSM one.. Its just not gonna happen but I do feel that this version is no longer really a developer device.. I associate the nexus name, cdma at least to a vanilla android consumer device.. Nothing more and nothing less. I just dont buy the whole Verizon is rushing to update the Nexus just like all the other phones they have.. I seriously dont think so.. I know they have their testing etc but I mean the razr has had about 3-4 updates cuz its their baby.. I dont care about the latest version 4.whatever release I just want the phone to work.. If that really is something people are worried about which I think so because I have seen threads.. I think they need to know to go with the GSM version because CDMA will never give u that..

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As I've said plenty of times...... Our nexus is still a nexus. Most people out here in the general section don't want to hear the spiel about what a DEVELOPMENT device means so I'll skip over that part.

OK other Nexii might get updates a bit quicker, other phones might technically ship with a more recent version of android.. Your nexus is still going to be updated past those phones. You will almost certainly be on 4.x.x (whatever it is in say, 6, 9, months, whatever) way before those other phones are. You will receive Jellybean before them as well.. and they might not even see it period.

Verizon has policies regarding pushing OTA updates. Many of them are Verizon's own, and whether or not you think its fair that you have to wait a bit, the system they use has gotten them to be the most reliable carrier, with the best service, biggest network, etc etc. Many of the policies are the FCC's and other regulatory bodies. A phone shipping with something is different than having an OTA pushed.. and plenty of regulations govern how much testing has to be done before a software update can be pushed OTA.

The big fat hairy point: Verizon is NOT sitting on the update to make you squirm, wriggle, post angry things in the forums, and lay awake at night crying. They didn't approve the update then stick it on some virtual shelf somewhere just because they don't care. It will get pushed when its good and ready and passes every test and rule they throw at it.

Your Nexus may take A LITTLE BIT LONGER (in the grand scheme of things) than some others to get updates, but this is kind of the price you pay for even getting to run a Nexus on the biggest and most reliable network, the biggest (by FAR) 4G network, etc. You have to wait a bit while they get updates approved... if you choose to wait until VZ pushes them, of course...here's that *hint hint* you have an easily unlockable device and can take matters into your own hand, grab the update from a selection of VERY stable and reliable ROMs and developers and do it yourself pretty gosh darn easily.... but that's not what I'm trying to make this about.

The update will be pushed when its ready, you will get more recent versions of android than any of the other phones out there and for a much longer time, and you will probably have to wait a little bit longer than other nexii to get them, but that's the small price you pay for being on this network.

Discuss :)

I think it somewhat understandable VZW checking out updates before they are pushed. If anything goes wrong it is VZW and their CSRs and techs who will have to deal with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some people don't understand that there is a difference between CDMA and GSM radio software that's going to put the GSM Nexus and CDMA Nexus (Sprint & Verizon) on different update schedules. Google can't do anything with the CDMA radios because that stuff is proprietary. That's why there was such a delay for ICS on the Nexus S 4G on Sprint.

I don't think it is a lack of understanding. I think it is more that people don't care. There are people who feel they are entitled to an update and nothing can be said to change that.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it somewhat understandable VZW checking out updates before they are pushed. If anything goes wrong it is VZW and their CSRs and techs who will have to deal with it.

Which is probably why it took so long for VZW to get a Nexus at all. Modding is great, but people should take responsibility for themselves when they don't follow directions and/or haphazardly flash things... then make VZW eat it when they brick their device.

It gives the rest of us a bad name, costs them money, and makes them reluctant to have an easily unlockable handset on their network :(

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is a lack of understanding. I think it is more that people don't care. There are people who feel they are entitled to an update and nothing can be said to change that.

As paying customers, we ARE entitled to an update that fixes the issues that make this device unusable for its primary purpose for those affected. I will never understand the diehard fanboyism some people have for this phone where they become corporate apologists.

Imagine your car randomly shut off while driving it down the highway, but everything else worked awesome...great car stereo, wicked fast zero to sixty, looked amazing...and oh yeah sometimes the windows wouldn't roll back up. Imagine you were upset by this because it was impacting your day to day life. How would you feel if I sat here and chastised you and told you you were a whiny brat and who are you to think the manufacturer owes you anything in a timely manner? That it's only happening to a few thousand people and it doesn't affect me and I don't care? I'm sure your mind would be filled with expletives towards me just like mine is whenever I read your posts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
As paying customers, we ARE entitled to an update that fixes the issues that make this device unusable for its primary purpose for those affected. I will never understand the diehard fanboyism some people have for this phone where they become corporate apologists.

Imagine your car randomly shut off while driving it down the highway, but everything else worked awesome...great car stereo, wicked fast zero to sixty, looked amazing...and oh yeah sometimes the windows wouldn't roll back up. Imagine you were upset by this because it was impacting your day to day life. How would you feel if I sat here and chastised you and told you you were a whiny brat and who are you to think the manufacturer owes you anything in a timely manner? That it's only happening to a few thousand people and it doesn't affect me and I don't care? I'm sure your mind would be filled with expletives towards me just like mine is whenever I read your posts.

Imagine if there was a big red gas station. The far left pump was extra-fast rocket fuel. Every car that used that fuel had problems. Cars from GM, cars from Ford, cars from Honda, all of them.

Those same makes and models run just fine on other fuel, even extra-fast fuel from other gas stations. It's just that specific big red gas station fuel that they seem to act up on.

Do you blame the people making the car, or the people supplying the fuel? I would change gas stations.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

No, actually you aren't. You have purchased the phone as is. There are no guarantees for anything above and beyond that. The fact we receive any updates without being charged anything extra is a bonus... at least in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781