Verizon holding up our update

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Have'nt seen this on here yet. Basically what everyone already knew but there it is. Pretty ridiculous. Even Google doesnt seem happy with the current update situation. Go figure....

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...-holding-back-your-galaxy-nexus-4-0-4-update/

Also straight from the man himself Jean-Baptiste Queru

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/79eKhEgNYeN

Edit- Want to clarify that the intention of this thread is mainly to discuss the statement by Jean-Baptiste. Thats why Ive linked directly to his post. The DL link is mostly for reference and another perspective on the situatuon.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerhound

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll write more about this in my column this week. But the short version is this: Verizon has ALWAYS been ... shall we say ... thorough in its network testing. This is not new, and it'd be awesome if blogs weren't so quick to slap bad headlines on things.

toll

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
You know, if the updates they tested and modified were perfect, it wouldn't be a big deal but they always have some issue. No update verizon ever pushed was perfect.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The leak came out in early February. How much testing do they need? I mean the razor has gotten like five updates since then. So it definitely seems like something is going on, or there holding it on purpose.

Pengwn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If anything, this is just more of a push toward unlocking/rooting for many.
Being a nexus, you expected timely updates. Being verizon, well...
The bootloader is unlocked for a reason :cool:

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'll write more about this in my column this week. But the short version is this: Verizon has ALWAYS been ... shall we say ... thorough in its network testing. This is not new, and it'd be awesome if blogs weren't so quick to slap bad headlines on things.

I agree with you 100%

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The leak came out in early February. How much testing do they need? I mean the razor has gotten like five updates since then. So it definitely seems like something is going on, or there holding it on purpose.

Yes they Razr may have gotten 5 updates but still can't make it past gingerbread.

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was mostly just interesred in what
Jean-Baptiste had said and that its nice to hear some kind of news on whats going on behind the scenes with this situation. He also answered some good questions on there in the Q&A that I found kind of interesting.

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon would give up on products like VZ Nav, this testing would gi a lot quicker. However, doesn't anyone believe that they may actually delay major updates on purpose, so they happen after new product launches?

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Have'nt seen this on here yet. Basically what everyone already knew but there it is. Pretty ridiculous. Even Google doesnt seem happy with Verizon. Go figure....

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...-holding-back-your-galaxy-nexus-4-0-4-update/

Also straight from the man himself

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/79eKhEgNYeN

Anyone that still believes with a new Nexus device that 'updates will be quick and direct from Google'....well, I've got a bridge I can sell them.

That's the last time I get suckered in to that line. I hope this provides an education to the many that were ranking on people like me that said PRIOR to the Nexus release "how do we know updates will be fast?"

What nonsense!

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that still believes with a new Nexus device that 'updates will be quick and direct from Google'....well, I've got a bridge I can sell them.

That's the last time I get suckered in to that line. I hope this provides an education to the many that were ranking on people like me that said PRIOR to the Nexus release "how do we know updates will be fast?"

What nonsense!

It's sad that people decide to buy a phone based upon something Verizon NEVER promised and then choose to put the blame on them when the ficticuous promise doesn't come true.

You made a presumption based upon history and made a poor decision on that presumption. Take this as a lesson learned but blame no one else.

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
If anything, this is just more of a push toward unlocking/rooting for many.
Being a nexus, you expected timely updates. Being verizon, well...
The bootloader is unlocked for a reason :cool:

+1 to that. After reading all the favorable comments about the newer radios, I finally unlocked and rooted my phone a few weeks ago to get the new radios and eventually a new ROM. After 3 or 4 straight days of 2-3 random reboots per day last week I finally got motivated enough to install my first ROM a few nights ago. The difference is amazing. I'm very rapidly getting to the point where I don't really care about official updates (except of course to the extent they provide source material for the ROM community).

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
You know, if the updates they tested and modified were perfect, it wouldn't be a big deal but they always have some issue. No update verizon ever pushed was perfect.

+1 to this as well. I've been with Verizon for a long time now. The updates they -do- push out are typically buggy, even after their "thorough" testing. If the delay was because of the thoroughness, I wouldn't mind, but obvious bugs still slip past on a regular basis, so I get the feeling it is a business process issue on their end, more than a byproduct of good quality control.

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
+1 to this as well. I've been with Verizon for a long time now. The updates they -do- push out are typically buggy, even after their "thorough" testing. If the delay was because of the thoroughness, I wouldn't mind, but obvious bugs still slip past on a regular basis, so I get the feeling it is a business process issue on their end, more than a byproduct of good quality control.

Unfortuneately I think youve nailed it. The longer the Nexus remains updateless amd riddled with bugs the less appealing it is to customers. Meanwhile Veruzon's pride and joy Razr has recieved 3-4 updates since lainch and so runs fairly well. Now which option is going to appeal more to average Joe who strolls into Verizon for a new phone? Been feeling more and more that this is the case.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I did install the 4.0.4 radios and 4.0.4 on my phone, still have the disappearing signal issue. Maybe Verizon doesn't want to release an update until they're certain the issue is fixed? Just some speculation.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

I might agree with you Phil if I never had the Thunderbolt that Verizon updated last may that made the phone reboot itself 5-6 times a day. It took them 6 weeks before they fixed it. And I'm pretty sure that was a tower issue since it happened when I hit a certain tower.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

THIS.

This is nothing new and it wasn't "reported" here because its nothing new and this site doesn't throw up non-news stories under panic-inducing headlines to drum up site traffic like some other sites do :)

EDIT: Here's a relevant point I made in the last (of many) ZOMG WHEREZ OUR UPDATE thread, lol: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...rticle-i-thought-interesting.html#post1725278

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12