Should I Give Up and Get a Replacement?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so here is the story. I purchased my Gnex off of Amazon last week. I love the phone and practically everything about it. That being said, since the moment I activated it, I've had the notorious signal disappearing problem. If I am on 4G, I will have perfect signal one minute then, without even moving or touching the phone, the data will disappear and the signal will drop to nothing. Most times, both will return about 30 minutes later. I know this issue has been well documented, and I have researched it extensively, so in an effort to fix it, I rooted the Phone, installed AOKP Milestone 5, installed the Lean Kernel, and finally, flashed the 4.0.4 Radios file. Despite all that, the phone still does the data-and-signal dropping act.

So, have I done everything I can in my power? Should I just give up and request a **gulp** Certified Like New Replacement? How many people are currently living with this issue, and do you think its repairable via a software update? I know some people have it, some do not. I also know that turning it to CDMA only fixes the problem (and it does). But I really do want to be able to use 4G LTE on this otherwise amazing device. So, have I exhausted all my options? Thanks!

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that problem. Although, I do have week 4G right next to my girlfriends Razr that gets full bars of 4G. Its annoying, but I'm waiting for a fix.

Reactions: luke31

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that problem. Although, I do have week 4G right next to my girlfriends Razr that gets full bars of 4G. Its annoying, but I'm waiting for a fix.

I don't mind weak 4G as much as losing everything (both data and voice) flat out every few minutes. I contacted Amazon Wireless, and they've agreed to send me a perfectly new, in box replacement free of charge (and overnight shipping). Gotta love the customer service at Amazon! Hopefully the new unit won't be that bad.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind weak 4G as much as losing everything (both data and voice) flat out every few minutes. I contacted Amazon Wireless, and they've agreed to send me a perfectly new, in box replacement free of charge (and overnight shipping). Gotta love the customer service at Amazon! Hopefully the new unit won't be that bad.

I've really appreciated Amazon's return/exchange process. Each of the times I have needed to use it the process has been smooth as well as easy.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Swap the phone. The first one that I had did the same exact thing. After getting a replacement I have had zero drops. I tried everything with Verizon, researched it, and got frustrated enough that I swapped it. My entire voice data would drop causing me to miss calls etc.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've really appreciated Amazon's return/exchange process. Each of the times I have needed to use it the process has been smooth as well as easy.

It's the first experience I've had with them, and I gotta say... just wow. Verizon would pester me about SIM cards, data wipes, signal issues that pertain to my location etc. The Amazon rep listened to my complaint, said "Something's definitely not right," and told me the next instant that they are overnighting a BRAND NEW unit, straight from the box. No "Certified Like-New Replacement" nonsense.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Swap the phone. The first one that I had did the same exact thing. After getting a replacement I have had zero drops. I tried everything with Verizon, researched it, and got frustrated enough that I swapped it. My entire voice data would drop causing me to miss calls etc.

Same exact thing. I was on an important call yesterday, and the call just ended. Didn't move an inch, looked at my signal... there was nothing there. I know I could use it in CDMA, but after using 4G on my Bionic... I really don't want to go back to 3G lol.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's the first experience I've had with them, and I gotta say... just wow. Verizon would pester me about SIM cards, data wipes, signal issues that pertain to my location etc. The Amazon rep listened to my complaint, said "Something's definitely not right," and told me the next instant that they are overnighting a BRAND NEW unit, straight from the box. No "Certified Like-New Replacement" nonsense.

That's great. When I've had problems with electronic devices, I've never spoken with anyone on the phone. Everything I've done has been via their website. But, they have made it so very easy. The most recent was a Garmin GPS that I purchased. The first one was defective. It couldn't pick up a satellite signal. I went online, made a request for an exchange. I had a new unit sent to me via overnight FedEx.

SupaDupaKen

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So, have I done everything I can in my power? Should I just give up and request a **gulp** Certified Like New Replacement? How many people are currently living with this issue, and do you think its repairable via a software update? I know some people have it, some do not. I also know that turning it to CDMA only fixes the problem (and it does). But I really do want to be able to use 4G LTE on this otherwise amazing device. So, have I exhausted all my options? Thanks!

I was in the exact same position as you. Got my phone from Amazon, had constant dropped signal on LTE, flashed radios (4.0.4 + hybrids), and had my sim card replaced. Nothing worked, so I called Amazon and requested a replacement.

My replacement phone works perfectly. So good that I haven't bothered updating the radios. I too was thinking of waiting it out for 4.0.5, but given the second phone's consistant 4g signal straight out the box, I don't think there's any way a software update would have fixed my problem.

Hope you get "lucky" with your replacement like I did. And I agree, AmazonWireless' customer service is great.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Of course, the new Galaxy Nexus from Amazon has the same disappearing 4G and Voice Signal issue as the old one. The guy at Amazon told me I can exchange for a different device. I might go this route, kinda tired of playing the Nexus Roulette and waiting for the right one.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, got my third unit and... for two days its been working perfect, no signal drops! Glad I stuck with it.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Hope i get lucky.. about to be on my 5th Galaxy Nexus... I'm still convinced its completely software and not a hardware issue.