Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Except you're ignoring the fact that you are among only 5% of android users that have ICS, and have had it longer than anyone. You already HAD the software when you bought the phone. (and I'll kindly point out that NOWHERE has it been advertised that you get updates from google first before other phones)

Actually yes it has on Google's own page under features of Galaxy Nexus

Galaxy Nexus

I think Google should at least be responsible for the couple of Nexus's in existence. At least a well informed person can purchase a one that will be updated somewhat comparably with other mobile OS's.

Edit: I got myself a Unlocked Galaxy Nexus fyi

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually yes it has on Google's own page under features of Galaxy Nexus

Galaxy Nexus

I think Google should at least be responsible for the couple of Nexus's in existence. At least a well informed person can purchase a one that will be updated somewhat comparably with other mobile OS's.

Edit: I got myself a Unlocked Galaxy Nexus fyi

Actually read it. It says fast updates, not first. And compared to other handsets, Nexus updates are STILL faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Actually read it. It says fast updates, not first. And compared to other handsets, Nexus updates are STILL faster.

Actually....and we are dwelling on the realm of semantics now...lol

It says fastest updates directly from Google. Not fast or faster. Fastest could be interpreted as getting updates first. Faster probably could too.

Fastest compared to what: non Nexus phones? Non Samsung phones? The iPhone? I think its safe to say fastest compared to non Nexus phones on this case.

If it woulda just said fast...I would agree with you.

Like if we say Boy A ran the fastest time than the other boys. It puts him at the top in comparison to the other boys. Hope I didnt butcher the analogy too bad...lol.

What I do know is web pages can change at any tine. I never remember seeing that before....lol. Wonder if the web page will change if someone at Google reads this thread... Someone made a good point about Google Wallet earlier too I see...

Like many have said....Google calls it a Nexus...thats all that matters. Its a Nexus in their book, thats good enough for me.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

It says fastest updates directly from Google. Not fast or faster. Fastest could be interpreted as getting updates first. Faster probably could too.

Fastest compared to what: non Nexus phones? Non Samsung phones? The iPhone? I think its safe to say fastest compared to non Nexus phones on this case.

Like if we say Boy A ran the fastest time than the other boys. It puts him at the top in comparison to the other boys. Hope I didnt butcher the analogy too bad...lol.

What I do know is web pages can change at any tine. I never remember seeing that before....lol. Wonder if the web page will change if someone at Google reads this thread... Someone made a good point about Google Wallet earlier too I see...

Like many have said....Google calls it a Nexus...thats all that matters. Its a Nexus in their book, thats good enough for me.

Your last sentence pretty much sums up the thread: google says its a nexus, Verizon says its a nexus, Samsung says its a nexus. So why is this even up for discussion?

Reactions: jroc and 2defmouze

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its a Nexus folks... Break it down however you like... As its been mentioned... Google/Verizon/Samsung all call it a Nexus.

It may not be the "GSM" version which receives its updates straight from Google with no red tape but its still a Nexus, copyrighted/signed/passed through FCC cert, etc. etc.. Its a Nexus.

Continue onward with the discussion.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Its a Nexus folks... Break it down however you like... As its been mentioned... Google/Verizon/Samsung all call it a Nexus.

It may not be the "GSM" version which receives its updates straight from Google with no red tape but its still a Nexus, copyrighted/signed/passed through FCC cert, etc. etc.. Its a Nexus.

Continue onward with the discussion.

Much as an person can be king/president/governor/official in name only, so can the Nexus be a Nexus in name only.

The debate here is not whether it is called a Nexus. The debate is whether or not it truly qualifies as one based on the true spirit of the brand.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the answer there lies in what each one of us interprets as "the true spirit of the brand" and how that defined and if that is the case there will probably never be a full agreement.

Also I might add despite what we are debating about, again if Google says it is then no matter what we come up with for debates its still a Nexus in the end.

As you can tell I'm not a big debater :p

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Too bad "true spirit of the brand" has never been quantified by anything other than marketing. To me it is complete irresponsible to use marketing strategy as truth or fact. This thread is full of people quoting advertisements as if they are tangible points of reference. It has been decades since truth in advertising was law.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the answer there lies in what each one of us interprets as "the true spirit of the brand" and how that defined and if that is the case there will probably never be a full agreement.

Also I might add despite what we are debating about, again if Google says it is then no matter what we come up with for debates its still a Nexus in the end.

As you can tell I'm not a big debater :p

Would you like to be debate something else? Math perhaps? Maybe you'd be a better math-debater?

Oh that rotten lisp of mine....

;)

Reactions: oxymoron

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Got that right... We are lied to or "pursued" on a daily basis in the world when it comes to advertising tactics.

Reactions: dmmarck

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
And that still doesnt change what i said. Its still the fastest by a country mile. When Jelly bean comes around (which is the type of update they're talking about, fyi) The nexus will be updated faster than any others.

You're probably right, but a lot of people who have the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G might be skeptical.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue against it being a "real Nexus". I'm on the side of "it's a Nexus because Google says so". But I was just addressing the people who said that we were never promised the fastest updates. We were.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

..this whole thread is about spirit and semantics.

All irrelevant because a Nexus is whatever Google calls a Nexus. End of story.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So a GSM Nexus will never be on the same version as a CDMA Nexus? Yet the NS4G is on version 4.0.4 same as the GSM Nexus S and the GSM Galaxy Nexus. There are even reports of 4.0.4 on the NS4G having better 3G reception. That points to CDMA specific fixes being in 4.0.4. So that kinda blows your explanation out of the water.

Maybe since you guys work for such a big Android news site, one of you could actually bother to find out what the real truth is in the differences of versions between the CDMA and GSM Nexus models by asking Google directly, instead of guessing. Better yet why don't you ask Google to define what a "Nexus" is when there is so much fragmentation existing between the CDMA and GSM models while your at it.

Just saw this. Learn the difference between platform and version.

An I did find out the "real truth" of the differences. I told you, and you act like an ungrateful little pipsqueak because you don't understand, yet feel the need to pop off at the lip like a typical insolent child.

I can try to explain anything, but I can't cure stupidity.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it crazy that you never, ever see anyone wondering if a GSM Nexus is a real Nexus? If the CDMA Nexus was a real Nexus would we really be having this discussion? Nope probably not.

The way I see it the CDMA Nexus can only be considered a "Nexus" because the word Nexus is in it's name. It might be called a Nexus but it is still just another Android phone. Nothing special about it at all.

Let's see here.

1. GSM Nexus is supported by Google and actually gets updates
2. GSM Nexus doesn't have carrier branding
3. GSM Nexus is actually sold by Google
4. GSM Nexus is listed as a developer device by Google
5. GSM Nexus doesn't have pre installed carrier apps (that I know of at least)

Now everyone on CDMA with a Nexus look at that list and compare it to your device. My VZW Galaxy Nexus is STILL on 4.0.2, it has ugly carrier branding that cannot be removed, it has carrier apps, Google doesn't sell it or even acknowledge that exists. It is a Nexus in name only. None of the things I wanted from a Nexus are available on this device. Not a single one of them.

If my Nexus is a "real Nexus" than the meaning of Nexus is now pointless and people might as well just stick with the other non supported Android devices.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it crazy that you never, ever see anyone wondering if a GSM Nexus is a real Nexus? If the CDMA Nexus was a real Nexus would we really be having this discussion? Nope probably not.

The way I see it the CDMA Nexus can only be considered a "Nexus" because the word Nexus is in it's name. It might be called a Nexus but it is still just another Android phone. Nothing special about it at all.

Let's see here.

Now everyone on CDMA with a Nexus look at that list and compare it to your device. My VZW Galaxy Nexus is STILL on 4.0.2, it has ugly carrier branding that cannot be removed, it has carrier apps, Google doesn't sell it or even acknowledge that exists. It is a Nexus in name only. None of the things I wanted from a Nexus are available on this device. Not a single one of them.

If my Nexus is a "real Nexus" than the meaning of Nexus is now pointless and people might as well just stick with the other non supported Android devices.

When you chose the definition, its easy to make it fit or, in this case, not fit your criteria and so not be a real nexus in your eyes. Its almost entirely subjective.

Flip side... here's how I define Nexus:
1. Vanilla Android.
2. Updates written and pushed by Google (the carrier taking their time to test and approve them does not negate the fact).
3. Will be officially updated to the latest version of android for approximately 2 years (maybe less these days due only to hardware limitations). Might not be updated as fast as a model without carrier testing and restrictions, but the updates will come.
4. FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK unlocks the bootloader. Simple flash of SU package roots you.

That's about it that I can think of. This device fits my definition.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Let's see here.

1. The CDMA Nexus is still supported by Google and will still get updates. There's a difference between slow updates and not getting updates at all.

3. Wasn't the GSM Nexus S sold by Best Buy, not Google? That GSM Nexus S must not be a real Nexus either.

I know people are passionate about certain things. But wow. Just reading some of the "not a real Nexus" posts on here... I'm amazed.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Since the CDMA Nexus came late in the game....there are probably different things involved now since the first Nexus launched that changes things. Since there was never a CDMA Nexus when the first one launched...its kinda hard to say what woulda have happened back then.

CDMA carriers just started using sim cards cuz of LTE. GSM has always used sim cards. Something like that might have made a difference with some things.

I didnt know Google listed the GSM G Nex as a developer phone?

Like it was so kindly pointed out to me earlier....this entire thread is about semantics. 2defmouze made a good point: "Fastboot OEM Unlock unlocks the bootloader." Now....the XOOM has Fastboot OEM unlock too, but the XOOM isnt listed as a Nexus tablet...AFAIK. Technically...one could consider the XOOM a Nexus tablet.

Semantics.

Bottom line: app developers and folks that work on the Android source can use the G Nex -CDMA and GSM version- with very lil obstacles. Thats what makes the CDMA G Nex a Nexus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze