Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Prove it! You make statements like the above as if they are facts. If that is so, I'm sure you can provide a source to support your claims.

From what I recall, VZW gets to review the updates before they are sent out to our phones. How exactly is that not control over the updates?

So does sprint and so did T-Mobile when it came to nexus devices. A carrier must approve any update that could affect their network.

The fact is, if Google says that the nexus will be updated to jelly bean, there isn't a thing Verizon can do to stop it. That is the way nexus devices work. Verizon has no say in what updates it receives, but they do have a little control when it comes to the quality of updates that affect the network.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So does sprint and so did T-Mobile when it came to nexus devices. A carrier must approve any update that could affect their network.

Until last week, the GSM Galaxy Nexus was not even sold in this country. How would T-Mobile control update approval?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Think you'd be hard pressed to get an on the record statement from someone at Google telling you what they define it as, if only to not start an amazing flame war (even worse than what's going on now!) from every single Galaxy Nexus owner.

I'd assume that the "purists" would say that a Nexus is a device which can get its fully functioning software compiled directly from AOSP/Google with no strings attached.

It of course hits a grey area because I'm sure Google would love to be able to freely distribute the CDMA/LTE radios if they could, but they simply aren't allowed to. Which then brings another, deeper grey area as to why they decided to try and make a "Nexus" on Verizon in the first place if they knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to distribute the radios.

Quick question, hope this wasn't asked yet, these custom roms that come out are based off of AOSP releases from Google is my understanding(Gummy, Liquid, AOKP, etc.). So then what's not included in these roms is the Radio? I'm a little confused.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Quick question, hope this wasn't asked yet, these custom roms that come out are based off of AOSP releases from Google is my understanding(Gummy, Liquid, AOKP, etc.). So then what's not included in these roms is the Radio? I'm a little confused.

If you build AOSP just as it stands, then add a handful of files that are easy to get from the device itself, it boots and works just fine on the Verizon Nexus. The Sprint Nexus S has always been this way.

And yes, I've personally verified the above. The only differences are in the proprietary files.

Reactions: JkdJedi

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Erm. You remember the nexus s? The nexus one?

Never had any experience with the Nexus One.

I did (and still do) own a Nexus S, which on T-Mobile is the GT-I9020T. When an OTA update went out, it went out to the T-Mobile Nexus S as well as many other countries at the same time. No update delays.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Never had any experience with the Nexus One.

I did (and still do) own a Nexus S, which on T-Mobile is the GT-I9020T. When an OTA update went out, it went out to the T-Mobile Nexus S as well as many other countries at the same time. No update delays.

T-mobile still approved it.

We don't know for a fact that Verizon is the reason for the delay. Heck, for all we know, the update wasn't finished and sent out for testing until recently.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If you build AOSP just as it stands, then add a handful of files that are easy to get from the device itself, it boots and works just fine on the Verizon Nexus. The Sprint Nexus S has always been this way.

And yes, I've personally verified the above. The only differences are in the proprietary files.

Its pretty much the radio files that are unique, right? That is the answer to this thread right there: the OS is as Google intended it. This is still a google experience device, despite claims to the contrary. And THAT is what a nexus device is.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
T-mobile still approved it.

We don't know for a fact that Verizon is the reason for the delay. Heck, for all we know, the update wasn't finished and sent out for testing until recently.

Luckily that isn't how it works. I don't have to call T-Mobile to activate my phone (thanks to my SIM card), and Samsung doesn't have to call T-Mobile for proprietary radio files (thanks to the Global Standard for Mobile communications) :)

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand all the fuss here. Nothing any of us can do will have the slightest effect on Google, Samsung, or Verizon. If you think the 5,000, or 10,000 people in this forum matter to any of these corporate giants, you're crazy. Whether you consider this a "true" nexus device or not, you either like the phone or you don't. And if you fall in the "don't" category, get something else (or change carriers). It's not like there is a shortage of choices. There will NEVER, EVER be a pure Google device on the Verizon network. That's sad, but true. Big whup! I love this phone. There are tons of ROMs to make it run however you want. And if you say, "but I don't want to install a ROM and void my warranty (boo, hoo, hoo)," then you bought the wrong phone. The primary reason of purchasing a Nexus is to have access to all the developer support and their customizations.

LUV IT! I Concur!!!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yet, you still stand by your claim that the carrier doesn't control the releases of the updates. If they have any type of review process for updates, that is a form of control over a release.
The fact is, if Google says that the nexus will be updated to jelly bean, there isn't a thing Verizon can do to stop it.
Uh huh... do you honestly believe that Google can do an end run around and push an update over VZW's network without VZW approving it? :confused:
That is the way nexus devices work. Verizon has no say in what updates it receives, but they do have a little control when it comes to the quality of updates that affect the network.
Uh huh... you are speaking from both sides of the issue. In one sentence you are saying that VZW can't stop an update, then in the next you are saying they can control the "quality" of updates that affect the network.

Even with all that, you have provided absolutely no supporting information to show that what you are saying is correct.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yet, you still stand by your claim that the carrier doesn't control the releases of the updates. If they have any type of review process for updates, that is a form of control over a release.

Uh huh... do you honestly believe that Google can do an end run around and push an update over VZW's network without VZW approving it? :confused:

Uh huh... you are speaking from both sides of the issue. In one sentence you are saying that VZW can't stop an update, then in the next you are saying they can control the "quality" of updates that affect the network.

Even with all that, you have provided absolutely no supporting information to show that what you are saying is correct.

He's pulling a Jedi mind trick on you :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

bdroc

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I think the root of the issue is the assumption that Real and Fake is the issue, when really, it's about Purity.

The Verizon/Sprint versions are tap water, and the GSM one is pure H2O. The Verizon/Sprint ones are still Nexus, but since they are locked, have different update schedules, and a couple of extra non-Google Apps, they are slightly impure. The firmware builds and software are still developed by Google, so none are FAKE, they just have a little...extra. Touchwiz and Sense, however, are like Kool-Aid and Tang mixes added to the water. In their eyes it's better, but that's subjective. The carriers are the lead and impurities in the tap water...

Last edited:

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
is it a "real" nexus"? no. it's just in name. why? verizon. putting a nexus on verizon automatically makes it not a nexus. if the point of the nexus is to get the software updates from google first before other phones, then we can already see it's not. verizon is a company that likes having control over what goes in and out and things have to be according to how they want them so any software update has to go through them. that process takes a looooong time which in turn delays the software update. google may send it to verizon before anywhere else, but because verizon sits on it for so long, by the time they roll it out, other phones have already gotten their updates. people should have realized this going in. i did so i wasn't even waiting for updates knowing verizon. it's less frustrating that way.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can you run developer options? Can you unlock it? Can you run a pure AOSP ROM? Can you hit up googles site for the latest? Nuff said.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
is it a "real" nexus"? no. it's just in name. why? verizon. putting a nexus on verizon automatically makes it not a nexus. if the point of the nexus is to get the software updates from google first before other phones, then we can already see it's not. verizon is a company that likes having control over what goes in and out and things have to be according to how they want them so any software update has to go through them. that process takes a looooong time which in turn delays the software update. google may send it to verizon before anywhere else, but because verizon sits on it for so long, by the time they roll it out, other phones have already gotten their updates. people should have realized this going in. i did so i wasn't even waiting for updates knowing verizon. it's less frustrating that way.

It's not a Nexus, its a Verizon Nexus! Riddle solved. :) (and yes I'm gonna party like it's 1999 when I finally get mine this week)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Curious: Would you consider the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus for Sprint as Nexus devices?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Except you're ignoring the fact that you are among only 5% of android users that have ICS, and have had it longer than anyone. You already HAD the software when you bought the phone. (and I'll kindly point out that NOWHERE has it been advertised that you get updates from google first before other phones)

Reactions: jroc