Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Soooo.... if a Nexus is bootloader unlocked and rooted then a GSM Nexus that's not rooted wouldn't be a "real" Nexus would it? And if official Google Wallet support is required to be a real nexus then isn't the Sprint Nexus the ONLY real Nexus? But wait.... its CDMA. You guys said a REAL Nexus could NEVER be CDMA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple has to update ONE phone brand/design...the logistics of checking to make sure bugs aren't an issue is much easier. Android has a bazillion devices and the process is MUCH more complex.

We are only talking about one device here. The Galaxy Nexus CDMA model.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Soooo.... if a Nexus is bootloader unlocked and rooted then a GSM Nexus that's not rooted wouldn't be a "real" Nexus would it? And if official Google Wallet support is required to be a real nexus then isn't the Sprint Nexus the ONLY real Nexus? But wait.... its CDMA. You guys said a REAL Nexus could NEVER be CDMA.

Nice try! But the debate isn't about unlocking and rooting. It's whether the CDMA model is a real nexus. And I don' think anyone here has come to the agreement that a real Nexus could never be CDMA. (Even after 5 pages)

But, since you seem to be missing a lot of the talk I'll sum up the point I think you're misunderstanding: a Nexus phone CAN BE unlocked and rooted. It's not that it MUST BE unlocked and rooted. And by "CAN BE", it means a simple "fastboot oem unlock" command is all that is needed. No exploiting race-conditions, bugs or other "hacks" required. (Although those are sometimes more fun!)

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When this phone first came and the people that called this phone "not a nexus" I disagreed. May 1st is here and I am absoluetly calling this "not a nexus." its a really really good verizon phone, but certainly not a "nexus"

Last edited by a moderator:

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple has to update ONE phone brand/design...the logistics of checking to make sure bugs aren't an issue is much easier. Android has a bazillion devices and the process is MUCH more complex.

Wrong. Apple has released iOS 5.x updates for the iPhone 4s, the original iPhone 4, the crappy iPhone 4 version with 8GB they are selling now, the "Verizon iPhone 4", and the iPhone 3GS -- Even if the 4S is the same hardware for everybody, all other models have hardware differences. Add to the mix the various iPad and iPad 2 in their HSPA, EVDO and WiFi variants and the iPod Touch and you'll see Apple is not dealing with only ONE device. Yet, they managed to release iOS 5.1 to all of these devices at the same time, while Google can't match that feat with fewer Nexus devices.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're on the stock 4.0.2 rom, yes. If you're on a custom rom, no.

That depends on the build. Is it a modified compilation of the stock build or a build from source. I know you're rolling your eyes right now but when it comes to this subject, on this site, you need to be very specific. What is green to you and me could very well look like blue to someone else not familiar with the subject ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. Apple has released iOS 5.x updates for the iPhone 4s, the original iPhone 4, the crappy iPhone 4 version with 8GB they are selling now, the "Verizon iPhone 4", and the iPhone 3GS -- Even if the 4S is the same hardware for everybody, all other models have hardware differences. Add to the mix the various iPad and iPad 2 in their HSPA, EVDO and WiFi variants and the iPod Touch and you'll see Apple is not dealing with only ONE device. Yet, they managed to release iOS 5.1 to all of these devices at the same time, while Google can't match that feat with fewer Nexus devices.

So by deduction,

(1) Apple is clearly better than Google at updating; and/or
(2) Google sucks generally and we shouldn't look for excuses.

That an accurate distillation of what you said there?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Well the Spring Galaxy Nexus has already been updated a week after release. The updates involves both the radio and Google Wallet, meaning both Sprint and Google had a hand in the update.

So there goes the whole "CDMA licenses are the hold-up" excuse! Sprint and Google were able to do in a week what has taken Verizon 5 months (and counting).

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
They can be disabled in the app manager. Once disabled, they will not appear in your app tray. This is not a big deal.

As far as I know, Google itself includes alot of apps that cannot be unstalled such as:
  1. Google+
  2. Google Play Movies
  3. Google Play Books
  4. Google Search

So you are restricted by Google itself in uninstalling apps. Does that make it a Non-Nexus device as well?

Google established what "Nexus" means, and they call it a Nexus so that is what it is.

LOL. Seriously? You're talking about Google apps on a pure Google device and using that as an argument as to whether or not it's a true Nexus device?

Nexus = Pure GOOGLE. Durrrr herp derp.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well the Spring Galaxy Nexus has already been updated a week after release. The updates involves both the radio and Google Wallet, meaning both Sprint and Google had a hand in the update.

So there goes the whole "CDMA licenses are the hold-up" excuse! Sprint and Google were able to do in a week what has taken Verizon 5 months (and counting).

Not necessarily. Verizon's CDMA license is not Sprint's CDMA license. Legally, they are two separate pieces of intellectual property.

Reactions: Ry

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
They can be disabled in the app manager. Once disabled, they will not appear in your app tray. This is not a big deal.

As far as I know, Google itself includes alot of apps that cannot be unstalled such as:
  1. Google+
  2. Google Play Movies
  3. Google Play Books
  4. Google Search

So you are restricted by Google itself in uninstalling apps. Does that make it a Non-Nexus device as well?

I agree that Android phones come with a lot of Google crap that you can't uninstall. If it were for me, phones would only come with the Play Store, GMail, YouTube and Maps. Everything else can be downloaded from the Market.

But that argument doesn't fly here. We are talking about Nexus devices, Google's own babies! If there's an Android device that should be expected to come preloaded with as much of Google as possible, is any Nexus device. It's a Google phone, not a Verizon phone. There's no excuse for Verizon putting bloatware of their own onto the Galaxy Nexus. I've never had a phone from Verizon, but with Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile, carriers get their featured spot when you open the Play Store. Verizon could've just have their software available there for download by anybody who wanted it. But nooo... they had to contaminate the Galaxy Nexus with their bloatware like they do with all their other phones. Perhaps the only hint that it IS a Nexus phone is that Verizon couldn't slap Bing into it.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree that Android phones come with a lot of Google crap that you can't uninstall. If it were for me, phones would only come with the Play Store, GMail, YouTube and Maps. Everything else can be downloaded from the Market.

But that argument doesn't fly here. We are talking about Nexus devices, Google's own babies! If there's an Android device that should be expected to come preloaded with as much of Google as possible, is any Nexus device. It's a Google phone, not a Verizon phone. There's no excuse for Verizon putting bloatware of their own onto the Galaxy Nexus. I've never had a phone from Verizon, but with Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile, carriers get their featured spot when you open the Play Store. Verizon could've just have their software available there for download by anybody who wanted it. But nooo... they had to contaminate the Galaxy Nexus with their bloatware like they do with all their other phones. Perhaps the only hint that it IS a Nexus phone is that Verizon couldn't slap Bing into it.

Exactly. It's like saying the iPhone isn't a true iPhone because it comes with an iTunes app. Seriously.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. It's like saying the iPhone isn't a true iPhone because it comes with an iTunes app. Seriously.

The iPhone isn't a true Apple device because it comes with a Youtube app instead of Apple Trailers.

:p

Droosh

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
So by deduction,

(1) Apple is clearly better than Google at updating; and/or
(2) Google sucks generally and we shouldn't look for excuses.

That an accurate distillation of what you said there?

It could also reflect Apple's superior leverage when dealing with Carriers and expediting their review process or negotiating away their review rights.

Reactions: Ry

rob_ashsu

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't understand why it matters. if it wasn't a real nexus i'm sure google would have called it something else other than the galaxy nexus. root it, throw on a custom rom, and get on with life...pointless thread smh:confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12