Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Except you're ignoring the fact that you are among only 5% of android users that have ICS, and have had it longer than anyone. You already HAD the software when you bought the phone. (and I'll kindly point out that NOWHERE has it been advertised that you get updates from google first before other phones)

And that is why you take matters into your own hands and kindly treat the nexus...well, nexus like...unlock it and hit up the packages from google. Simple simon.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Except you're ignoring the fact that you are among only 5% of android users that have ICS, and have had it longer than anyone. You already HAD the software when you bought the phone. (and I'll kindly point out that NOWHERE has it been advertised that you get updates from google first before other phones)

I totally agree. I don't believe the time frame of updates has anything to do with being are not being a Nexus.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yet, you still stand by your claim that the carrier doesn't control the releases of the updates. If they have any type of review process for updates, that is a form of control over a release.

Nope. Verizon does not control the release of updates. Verizon has no say in deciding what updates the Nexus gets, and that is proven by the leaked update document that clearly showed updates for other high profile Verizon handsets.

Uh huh... do you honestly believe that Google can do an end run around and push an update over VZW's network without VZW approving it? :confused:

If they wanted to, of course they could. Verizon has zero control over the spigot for updates. When google pushes one, Verizon can't stop it, short of killing service for everyone with a Nexus.

Uh huh... you are speaking from both sides of the issue. In one sentence you are saying that VZW can't stop an update, then in the next you are saying they can control the "quality" of updates that affect the network.

Even with all that, you have provided absolutely no supporting information to show that what you are saying is correct.

Neither have you. ;)

Go read JBQ's statements on the matter. The only area verizon has any control over is radio updates, and even then their control only extends to testing it and certifying it for the network. But they don't decide whether those updates get pushed at all. They CANNOT stop a software update that does not include updated radios. If Google decided tomorrow to push 4.1 without any new radios, they could and Verizon couldn't stop it.

Reactions: Johnly

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

They used to advertise it for the Nexus S 4G:
Fast just got faster with Nexus S 4G. Thin, slim profile, brilliant 4" Contour Display, 4G speed and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and the latest Google mobile apps pre-installed.

Nexus S 4G runs Android 2.3, the fastest version of Android yet, and has features like true multi-tasking, Wi-Fi hotspot, Internet Calling, Near-Field Communication (NFC) support, and full web browsing.

With this device, users will be the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available.

But looks like they decided to leave that part out of the description for the Galaxy Nexus 4G:
Galaxy Nexus? from Google is the latest Nexus experience device and the first phone to feature the latest platform Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. It combines the best from Google and Samsung, with the most advanced software from Google paired with cutting edge hardware from Samsung.

Reactions: jroc

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

But looks like they decided to leave that part out of the description for the Galaxy Nexus 4G:

Ahh but actually read what it says. It says 'when they become available'. Just because ICS was released does not mean that it was available for your handset. ICS being available for the regular NS is very different than it being available for ALL variants of the NS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ahh but actually read what it says. It says 'when they become available'. Just because ICS was released does not mean that it was available for your handset. ICS being available for the regular NS is very different than it being available for ALL variants of the NS.

This is true....

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

You might want to read it again lol :p

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
"Eventually you'll have to pay the piper"!

I think the term "NEXUS" is a little too black and white, I feel the term needs to be qualified, maybe "Quasi Nexus" or Nexus Lite as the addition of CDMA brings in patent issues and radio software that prevent the device from fully being a Nexus in the Black and White sense.

First, Google is not going to pay out the wazoo for CDMA patents to be freely available to Open Source community.

Second, VZW/SPRINT has to test/tune the radios to ensure that the Nexus works properly on their respective networks. This is the sticky issue, Google can provide everything quickly, but it is up to the carriers to go through their QC Life Cycle to test and ensure the radios play nicely with their network.

I believe that Google probably wants the carriers to move faster through their QC testing but they are not able to apply any meaningful force to move the process along.

What does this all mean? It is a NEXUS as it is reference for developers in terms of how applications should interact and run on the latest iteration of Android but not a Nexus in the classical sense update-wise as the updates requires the carriers to approve the radios before it can be pushed to the end users.

Dan

eman5oh

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To me a Nexus is a Android Phone that is easy unlocked and has great cutom rom support. It is also updated quickly when new versions of Android are released. Everyone is ing about a mounth it took over the gsm, well boo hoo. The Verizon Gnex had a leaked 4.0.4 long before the gsm version was dropped. I would rather official release be better tested and more bug free. If I want the bleeding edge I certainly can get that from the cutom rom community. I also see that the 4.0.4 update for the VZ Gnex is hosted on GOOGLE servers, so it is updated by google. So for me the Verizon Gnex is a Nexus to me and that is all that matters.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
"Eventually you'll have to pay the piper"!

I think the term "NEXUS" is a little too black and white, I feel the term needs to be qualified, maybe "Quasi Nexus" or Nexus Lite as the addition of CDMA brings in patent issues and radio software that prevent the device from fully being a Nexus in the Black and White sense.

First, Google is not going to pay out the wazoo for CDMA patents to be freely available to Open Source community.

Second, VZW/SPRINT has to test/tune the radios to ensure that the Nexus works properly on their respective networks. This is the sticky issue, Google can provide everything quickly, but it is up to the carriers to go through their QC Life Cycle to test and ensure the radios play nicely with their network.

I believe that Google probably wants the carriers to move faster through their QC testing but they are not able to apply any meaningful force to move the process along.

What does this all mean? It is a NEXUS as it is reference for developers in terms of how applications should interact and run on the latest iteration of Android but not a Nexus in the classical sense update-wise as the updates requires the carriers to approve the radios before it can be pushed to the end users.

Dan

The radios do have to be tested and I applaud Verizon for doing that before releasing them, remember the long wait/delay for the Gnex to come out? It was an LTE issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

GatorGrad

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. Apple has released iOS 5.x updates for the iPhone 4s, the original iPhone 4, the crappy iPhone 4 version with 8GB they are selling now, the "Verizon iPhone 4", and the iPhone 3GS -- Even if the 4S is the same hardware for everybody, all other models have hardware differences. Add to the mix the various iPad and iPad 2 in their HSPA, EVDO and WiFi variants and the iPod Touch and you'll see Apple is not dealing with only ONE device. Yet, they managed to release iOS 5.1 to all of these devices at the same time, while Google can't match that feat with fewer Nexus devices.

Every one of those devices has the exact same screen size and a very similar build/operating system. The Nexus is one phone amongst many in the Android stable. Verizon doesn't have an update approval process devoted to one phone, they have an approval process which covers ALL their phones. Apple comes to them and Verizon can test the phone and know that the update works on their phones (because they only have to bug check a total of 4 phones all with similar specs). So Verizon's process with Apple updates is simple and consistent since it's always the same. With Google, Verizon has to change what they test/how they test with every phone. That means the process is much more fluid, hence not as efficient. Also, I think you intend the "Wrong" you started your statement with to make your post seem more authoritative. Instead it just comes off as argumentative. It's a fact that the Apple ecosystem is much more rigid than Android. It's a fact that having a consistent process in place every time something happens means that that process can become more efficient over time.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Actually they do still advertise it as fastest updates directly from google. Read this: Galaxy Nexus

"Galaxy Nexus is the latest smartphone from Google and comes with Android 4.0, the best Google mobile services and fastest updates directly from Google. " (bold added for emphasis)

Edit: And before anyone says this is only referring to the GSM version, this is on the main page. "Now on Sprint The first 4G LTE phone on Sprint " http://www.google.com/nexus/#/index

Last edited:

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
With regards to the iPHONE, I am not sure where I read it now (as the brain ages the memory gets worse), but APPLE has Engineers from each provider (at least from the big 3 in the USA) embedded at their HQ to test the updates and the devices right there at APPLE's campus, so when iOS whatever it is released it has been thoroughly tested and APPLE can just push the update.

In fact I remember reading that VZW actually installed a cell site on APPLE's campus and sent over a very high ranking VZW employee to personally oversee the engineering and testing of the VZW iPHONE and radios.

There is no way that Google could do the same thing for the NEXUS as it is not to the level of an iPHONE with regards to popularity, etc. Most handsets and or software update are sent to the providers for testing and the providers than perform QC themselves and go back to the manufacturer with any needed changes, etc.

In fact there was a YouTube video a while back from at&t showing their testing center in Washington State (I think) and the process by which new handsets/software updates are tested on their network.

Dan

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually they do still advertise it as fastest updates directly from google. Read this: Galaxy Nexus

"Galaxy Nexus is the latest smartphone from Google and comes with Android 4.0, the best Google mobile services and fastest updates directly from Google. " (bold added for emphasis)

Edit: And before anyone says this is only referring to the GSM version, this is on the main page. "Now on Sprint The first 4G LTE phone on Sprint " http://www.google.com/nexus/#/index

And that still doesnt change what i said. Its still the fastest by a country mile. When Jelly bean comes around (which is the type of update they're talking about, fyi) The nexus will be updated faster than any others.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
When I setup my Verizon Gnex I had to go through screens agreeing to receive updates from Google... so whatever the testing process is between Google and Verizon this is good enough for me.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams