Why all these rooting threads in the non-rooting forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't want to create a pissing contest but just wondering why all these threads about rooting topics, (i.e. loading new radios, flashing the new leaked version, troubleshooting rooted issues, etc) are in the non rooting forum? Isn't there a specific forum for rooting topics of the Galaxy Nexus?

I'm not interested in rooting and hate having to read threads thinking there is some useful information in there only to find out it is about rooted phones only and doesn't apply to those of us that are not rooted.

I'm not rooted, nor interested in it so I stay out of the Galaxy Nexus rooting forum, is there a reason that these topics have migrated to this forum?

Again, not wanting to argue with people just trying to understand why we're having to wade through topics that there is a specific forum for? If this is the desire of the owners/admin/mod's then I'll deal with it.

Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nobody's making you read them :)

The advisor's decided to create the main leaked update thread out here. If you'd like to take it up with them because it displeases you, you can, but it won't end well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nobody's making you read them :)

That's the point, I have no idea that it is about rooting until I read the entire thread. I thought there was a way to do the 4.0.4 OTA update without being rooted (since it was in the non rooting forum) so I read the whole thread, not untill a ways into the thread did I have to ask if it required rooting to load the OTA and was told that it did require rooting.

Same goes for a lot of troubleshooting advice given, people will be giving advice on how to solve an issue and I'm trying to follow along (for my own phone) and then discover you have to be rooted to perform the advice given.

I'd not have even opened the thread had I known it was a rooted only thread.

If you'd like to take it up with them because it displeases you, you can, but it won't end well.

Don't know why it "won't end well" as it is the owners forum so whatever they say goes and I'll deal with it. I'm just inquiring if this is actually their desire since they created a specific forum for rooting topics.

Again, thanks.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The OTA thread is there because (1) it's most likely the eventual OTA we'll receive, and (2) it's not necessarily a "ROM," but rather an official release that can be installed by stock users with an unlocked bootloader (there are methods to do it without rooting, particularly since the OTA will unroot you).

Further, most members probably don't realize that we have a rooting subforum. Within the OTA thread, I make a point of mentioning that it's not necessarily about rooting, roms, etc., but manual installation of the OTA, and as such any comments regarding those two topics are more appropriately focused in that forum.

Superficially, the general forum creates more traffic, so for something as massive as this OTA, it's more appropriately addressed generally to the general population than to a more specific crowd in the development section.

I do agree though; general rooting questions, rom questions, etc. should be in the development forum. Radios might be another topic; it's a VERY hot topic (as you know), and if the only way to get them is to flash/root, well then rooting is a necessarily incidental topic.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The "manual" method of installation that dmmarck is providing only requires you to unlock your bootloader to install. Once you have completed the update process you can turn around and relock your bootloader and be done. Of course by unlocking your bootloader you will also "wipe" your device but that is explained in his instructions.

It is the same exact OTA update that will be pushed out in the masses, that is after all how it was received to begin with was a few lucky consumers got the update pushed to them and they grabbed the OTA update "link" to the file.

The optional instructions provided to "root" the new OTA was provided just to keep things condensed in one thread, but is not a requirement unless you wish to root your device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol