Bluetooth Pairs But No Audio

Orlanzo

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a stock Galaxy Nexus. It almost never streams audio over Bluetooth. It pairs fine and show media audio is connected, but no music is played. It worked once in a 2011/2012 Dodge Durango. It was fine on the way to my destination. Just the opposite on the return trip - no audio whatsoever after a couple of reboots. Is this an issue with Android in general of the GNex?

I also tried with a bunch of Bluetooth capable speakers in Best Buy. No luck, but the salesman's iPhone connected and played with no issues. Are the Bluetooth implementations different between iOS and Android? I thought it was a common protocol.

The only think it works with consistently is the Bluelink2 Bluetooth Music Receiver.

It's weird and I've seen a number of other Bluetooth issues on the Net.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I had this issue as well when I got the phone at launch. I swapped out the stereo in my truck only to find out the newer model of the stereo did not had music streaming. I think someone told me it was 4.02 that was the problem but I cant remember. They might have said it was 4.02 with some bluetooth radios.

I switched to 4.04 when it first came out and got a new stereo (different brand) and the bluetooth module that plugs into it and can now stream music, though it does cut out a few times a min. I don't know if it was the brand or because I switched to 4.04

I just finished loading the newer 4.04 build and I am hoping this solves the music from cutting out.

Orlanzo

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It's strange dubge. It worked once and never again. I'd assume nothing changed in the vehicle. I hope 4.0.4 is the key. It's an otherwise good phone. This streaming problem is a bummer. I guess I got too excited the first time. It hasn't worked since.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth is just a wonky sort of technology that's certainly gotten better in the last few years but is far from perfect. My GNex's BT will connect to my car stereo (stock Acura) when I first start my car, but drop the connection seconds later for no good reason just to reconnect again and stay connected. Happens pretty frequently. Other times it connects to the car as a stereo music device rather than both music and hf calling.

BT is subject to a lot of interference due to its low signal strength. I'm pretty sure BT uses the 2.4 ghz frequency too, which is absolutely crowded with wifi stuff these days. Your problem could be interference related. But I've never had a device that does BT perfectly 100% of the time. Always seems to be some glitch that crops up.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
i have 4.02 and am on my third Nexus- all three paired and playd perfectly on my car stereo via bluetooth- Very strange-

could be the brand is more compatible

when I had the droid charge I would lose connection sometimes and would have to turn the radio and/or bluetooth on the phone on/off for it to reconnect. It always happened when I first got in my truck and would do it sometimes 5-6 times in a row, once it stayed connected for over 5-10 seconds it would stay connected no problem

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked in your bluetooth settings that you have the right profiles selected?

Go into bluetooth settings-- hit the settings button next to the item you are paired with and make sure you have media audio selected.

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
i have the same problem ,the phone will pair with the kenwood deck in my truck every time & the phone will work but most of the time the audio wont work with music i thought it was my stereo but it does the same thing with my nokia bluetooth headphones ... i hope this problem gets resolved ,i use my bluetooth all the time especially @ work & while driving .

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would offer that the Plantronics BackBeat 903+ works great for both phone and media. I have used it for like 2 yrs with several devices without an issue ever and it still hold a 7 hr charge great.

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I would offer that the Plantronics BackBeat 903+ works great for both phone and media. I have used it for like 2 yrs with several devices without an issue ever and it still hold a 7 hr charge great.
Thanks for the input but its the GN that's the problem, I have had my Kenwood Bluetooth deck for over 2 years &have never had any issues streaming with any other devices..I'm hoping an update will fix this issue, it is a big problem for me .

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem. GN pairs with my Ford Sync but no sound. It's mute. However, my Galaxy Tab works fine.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue as well when I got the phone at launch. I swapped out the stereo in my truck only to find out the newer model of the stereo did not had music streaming. I think someone told me it was 4.02 that was the problem but I cant remember. They might have said it was 4.02 with some bluetooth radios.

I switched to 4.04 when it first came out and got a new stereo (different brand) and the bluetooth module that plugs into it and can now stream music, though it does cut out a few times a min. I don't know if it was the brand or because I switched to 4.04

I just finished loading the newer 4.04 build and I am hoping this solves the music from cutting out.

I had a Samsung Charge that would connect to my Ford Sync system and play music but it too would skip or mess up often enough it would be really annoying. Didn't matter whether it was using my music player or streaming Pandora but it was worse when streaming. Top of that sometimes I'd loose my data connection while streaming and turning off the Bluetooth was the only way to reconnect data. It was all very disappointing. I really do believe that the Bluetooth radio interferes with the data rf more than anyone realizes. Had that phone for 8 months. I now have the Maxx and I agree the screen is not on par but I promise you the Bluetooth has not skipped a beat on my Ford Sync and data is never an issue unless it's system related. It even does something now that the Charge wouldnt. The ford sync now reads out my messages to me and has canned replies. Its so cool. I love this phone. I'm not trying to bother you guys just relaying my experiences with the two phones.

aziadeh

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had my GNEX since launch day and everyonce in a while it will connect to my Kenwood headunit and says it's playing but no audio.
What I do is turn the volume (on the phone) all the way down, and back up to just one click below 100% and it works everytime.
As far as the connection goes, I've never had it stop playing / drop connection. I do live in a saturated 4G area.
I stream Pandora and listen to Tom Leykis everyday for about 2-4 hours a day depending on where I'm working that week.
Rooted, custom ROM, 4.0.4 with FC04/FC05 radios

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You just have to reboot. It used to happen to me a lot until I started using custom ROMs that were based on 4.0.3 and above.

Once you reboot, it will work for a couple of days, and then one day it will connect but not play any media. At that point you need to reboot again.

On the plus side, the Nexus reboots relatively fast.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I use my GNex to connect to my Jaybird headset, an off brand portable BT speaker (in my shower) and my Panasonic head unit in my car, all through BT. All work great. The only time I have issues is in the car when I forget to turn on the BT BEFORE I start the car, then it connects, but only for the the phone and not the music for some reason, so I just turn off BT and turn it back on again and I'm good to go. Also if I gete a phone call, I loose the music BT when the call ends, but not always, sometimes it re-syncs correctly. I am good to go over 90% of the time or more with 3 devices, most used multiple times each day. I love BT and my Gnex.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth is just a wonky sort of technology that's certainly gotten better in the last few years but is far from perfect. My GNex's BT will connect to my car stereo (stock Acura) when I first start my car, but drop the connection seconds later for no good reason just to reconnect again and stay connected. Happens pretty frequently.

I have had this happen with my 2008 Lincoln MKZ and Evo 4G. The BT connection would drop soon after leaving home and my WiFi connection. I was told by the Ford dealer to turn off WiFi before getting in the car. I did this and no longer have the BT connection drop and reconnect.

BTW, I have no text support with my current car and phone.

Walter
looking to replace my Evo with a new GN.

tuckie

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a rooted stock 4.0.2, and I've had this bug pop up with my sony bt headphone adapter. A reset of my phone clears it right up.

Orlanzo

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting doesn't work for me. I've tried that a few times. i was really excited when it initially worked. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked since. Either other devices are skewed to support the iPhone or the iPhone has better support for Bluetooth over a broader spectrum of devices.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I too have this problem. I'm in a 2012 Kia Optima, and it happens if I have bluetooth on when starting the car, or if i turn it on after. I do reboot my phone and it works after that, but let's say i'm listening to some tunes through BT, then turn off my car and turn it back on, it won't work (most of the time. There are times when it will work.)

Anyone know if 4.0.4 fixes this issue? It's a bit of a pain in the keester.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non