What does "Nexus" mean to you?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For me this means an OS/UI without any influence other than Google and unlocking/rooting is a native function.

Please don't quote ads or marketing strategy. I am looking for personal views and opinions here please.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is coming from an outside view as I've never had a Nexus device; but to me, Nexus means a testing platform for the latest/newest version of vanilla Android. It's a device meant to be unlocked and rooted. And while it may be able to be used as such for many, due to the tinkering/testing nature of it, it's not the best device to be a daily driver or a device meant for the average smartphone consumer.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
To me it means having the most current version of Android. Whether through Google updates or flashing. For me, preferably from Google. And yes, the Verizon GNEX gets updates from Google, albeit five weeks after the others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zedorda

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
This is coming from an outside view as I've never had a Nexus device; but to me, Nexus means a testing platform for the latest/newest version of vanilla Android. It's a device meant to be unlocked and rooted. And while it may be able to be used as such for many, due to the tinkering/testing nature of it, it's not the best device to be a daily driver or a device meant for the average smartphone consumer.

I think "testing" platform is bit inaccurate. It's a reference platform, yes, but it receives the full release versions of the software, not beta. [ Ok, being Google I suppose everything is "beta" :p ] It is a platform aimed for developers, given how easy they are to unlock and flash.

But as a daily driver for "normal" users, I think it's quite alright. Especially as of Android 4.0. I've given my Nexus S to my Mum and she's had no problems with using it, other than just learning Android and Smartphones in general. (The typical "What does that icon mean?" type stuff). I guess because it doesn't come preloaded with anything but Google apps, you do have a little more work getting setup. If you need Facebook or Twitter, then you have to go and install the apps.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus to me means:
1. Vanilla android, latest OS, updates written and pushed by Google (yes, after the carrier tests and approves, it still counts), easily unlockable bootloader and rootable.

2. Any phone which Google calls a Nexus, is a Nexus. It's their brand, they make or brake the rules, lol.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Galaxy Nexus simply because it was the only ICS phone available at the time that was capable of using the entire screen (soft control keys).

The term Nexus has no value to me. I buy a phone for the features it has when I puchase it, not for a promise in the future. I don't root, flash or modify the OS in any way.

A smartphone is a tool to me, not a lifestyle.

And, that is why I particpate on this forum and not the XDS forum.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Been following the fake nexus thread and how some get worked up defining a nexus.
I just don't get it.
Granted this is my first nexus device and I get how its supposed to be a pure google device and experience.
Blah I say, to me its just a dam fine phone and the easiest to unlock, root and modify and like asmallchild said above, the almost ridiculous amount of 3rd party development to be found.
Who needs a definition?

Reactions: SOTK and zedorda

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It means I've got the best phone currently available (in my opinion) and that it's widely supported by an unbelievable number of developers with more ROMs and themes than for any other phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03