How are your screens holding up? Mine..not so much

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Gnex on launch day, and loved the screen when I got it. Color uniformity was very even across the display.

Now though, the bottom half of the display has faded to a purple hue, while the top half is still balanced. If you are in a full screen app that hides the nav bar, and notification bar there is a light blue bar going across the screen where they should be. This shows up best on a grey, or white background and is rather distracting.

I bought it from Letstalk, so for warranty repairs I'd need to ship it off to Samsung and be without a phone for a week or two....but I'm not going to bother if this is a fairly common issue and it will just happen again in a few months.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine still looks great. Can I ask how you set your brightness? I've heard horror stories of samoled screens suffering burn-in over time but it's usually from people who keeps the brightness maxed out. By contrast I set mine around 50% max and fiddle with it all the time, always setting it lower if I don't need it bright (helps a ton on battery life too).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep it on auto, although the first few months enjoying the screen I did keep it on max a lot.

The issue is compounded when viewing the screen at a lower brightness in a dim room, full brightness floods the screen with enough light to make it less noticeable, but it's still there

I wish I could show a decent picture of it. I'm not one of those OCD people who take a microscope to each sub pixel on the screen, it really is pretty bad :).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep it on auto, although the first few months enjoying the screen I did keep it on max a lot.

The issue is compounded when viewing the screen at a lower brightness in a dim room, full brightness floods the screen with enough light to make it less noticeable, but it's still there

I wish I could show a decent picture of it. I'm not one of those OCD people who take a microscope to each sub pixel on the screen, it really is pretty bad :).

Lol.. K I believe you :)

But yeah like I said my screen still looks as good as the day I got it, which was launch weekend, so if you're worried about that being a normal thing I cast my vote for nope.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Gnex on launch day, and loved the screen when I got it. Color uniformity was very even across the display.

Now though, the bottom half of the display has faded to a purple hue, while the top half is still balanced. If you are in a full screen app that hides the nav bar, and notification bar there is a light blue bar going across the screen where they should be. This shows up best on a grey, or white background and is rather distracting.

I bought it from Letstalk, so for warranty repairs I'd need to ship it off to Samsung and be without a phone for a week or two....but I'm not going to bother if this is a fairly common issue and it will just happen again in a few months.

From what you're describing, I'd say, no, its not normal. The screen is fantastic on my phone. For one, I don't use auto-brightness (have been told too many times by devs in the past that it hurts battery life more than it helps). I keep mine set at about 50% and adjust manually as needed but mostly it just stays at 50%.

I would do a warranty replacement.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My screen looks just as great as it did when I purchased it on launch day.
I have always keep brightness down on any phone I had .
I usually have it set where the scroll bar stops right under the letter "u" of the word automatic

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.1.0

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

One of my replacement GNEX's was just like this, but all over the screen. It was like a faded picture from the 60's. Weird. So far, my current device is looking great.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
i noticed this screen seems softer than the droidx and x2. I scratched my nexus twice where I had a prestine screen with the x's. pissed me off

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I've had that blue burn in on the notification bar. On my 4th device, it's not that apparent but still there to the OCD-eye.

My first device, however, had it in spades (unfortunately).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Do you or have you ever left the phone face up in direct sunlight even through a window for 10-15 mins repeatedly or 30-40 mins rarely? Super Amoled can pickup a small charge from direct sunlight effecting the color bias. Some newer screen protectors actually are addressing this with UV protection like sunglasses.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you or have you ever left the phone face up in direct sunlight even through a window for 10-15 mins repeatedly or 30-40 mins rarely? Super Amoled can pickup a small charge from direct sunlight effecting the color bias. Some newer screen protector actually are addressing this with UV protection like sunglasses.

Hmm, interesting thought, but I don't think so. To be honest I don't sit in direct sunlight myself that often :/

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, good to hear guys. Guess I'm goin have to deal with Samsung and their RMA process. At least I use google voice and can just forward my calls to my work blackberry.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You guys are probably already aware of this, but there is a gradient in some of the system menus, like settings. It's light at the bottom, and fades darker toward the top. Same if you flip the device 180°.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the hue.

*customized tapatalk signature*

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the blue notification bar burn in as well. Samsungs repair process is terrible. Be ready for 3 weeks with no phone and no status updates.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
When the screen goes grey I can see horizontal lines but in any other color it's perfect.

I have the brightness set to 40% and it seems very bright. I also use an app called Screen Filter when I go to bed. It cuts the brightness down by turning off half the pixels I believe. I always leave mine on in clock mode and charging when I go to bed.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
When the screen goes grey I can see horizontal lines but in any other color it's perfect.

I have the brightness set to 40% and it seems very bright. I also use an app called Screen Filter when I go to bed. It cuts the brightness down by turning off half the pixels I believe. I always leave mine on in clock mode and charging when I go to bed.

I had the same exact issues with grey screens for the first 4 months. But with use the issue has seemed to improve. Greys look much more even now. Its the only issue i've ever had with this screen.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

here are some pics, probably have to blow them up to really see it. I have the same problem you are talking about. The thing is I just know that if I get it replaced it's going to happen again after a very small amount of time. I have had mine since launch and use auto brightness. I have had three of these and the screens were different each time. The first two had really bad memory retention so I would see icons on like a black screen and they would slowly fade away. This one doesn't have the icon fading thing but the blue hue when I watch videos. If my brightness is all the way up I don't see it as bad, but if its a dark video I can still see it. The first nexus I had also had a brighter screen, the 2nd one looked dull and the colors looked faded, the third one wasn't as bright as the first but looked better than the 2nd, so I just kept it.Idk but I had trouble with the Samsung fascinate screen wise as well and seeing how they are the only phones I have had that are pentile that's what I'm going to blame.

7005730850_2a40ced74a_b.jpg

here is one with brightness up
7151819179_fd21784658_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad